Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Meteorite Crashes Through Roof In Connecticut

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

“A Yale expert confirmed Tuesday that an object that crashed through a house in Wolcott Friday night was a meteorite. Larry Beck, of Williams Court in Wolcott, called police at 10:20 a.m. on Saturday and said a rock crashed through the roof of his house on Friday night and damaged the roof and copper piping, and cracked the ceiling in his kitchen. ‘All the sheet rock had broken apart and it was on the floor,’ Beck said.

Source

Lucky nobody was hurt, but i'd love to experience something like that! or at least find a meteorite

Crazy things going on in crazy times

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Lucky nobody was hurt, but i'd love to experience something like that! or at least find a meteorite

Indeed, crazy times.

What's with all those meteorites this year?

Hope none falls on my home. I wouldn't mind in my backyard, but not trough my roof lol

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Wow....Lucky for the homeowners nobody was hurt, and lucky for them, that meteorite is worth some big bucks!

There have been people injured in their homes by falling meteorites, but thankfully it is rare enough that we don't have to worry...too much....

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Imagine if something like the Tunguska event occurred in your backyard.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Wow. A confirmed meteorite with evidence to back it up
Even a story to go with it. Wonder how much that is worth
All I ever have hit my house is partridge, four have committed suicide that way. If the shtf, I would rather have a nice tasty partridge hit my house than a meteor though.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrankLY

Indeed, crazy times.

What's with all those meteorites this year?

Hope none falls on my home. I wouldn't mind in my backyard, but not trough my roof lol

Well this doesn't seem too crazy to me since this happened during the times of the annual Lyrid Meteor shower. Still pretty interesting to say the least.. Hopefully he realizes the value of that rock.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZiggyMojo
Well this doesn't seem too crazy to me since this happened during the times of the annual Lyrid Meteor shower. Still pretty interesting to say the least.. Hopefully he realizes the value of that rock.

It's just a coincidence. Meteor showers occur pretty much constantly throughout the year, and we know that the material that meteoroids from our annual showers are made from is much more fragile than the type of material that asteroids are usually made from. Our meteor showers are caused by material (usually small in size) from comets, where as asteroids are the cause of meteorites that make it down to the ground.

11. Is there a chance of a meteor from a meteor shower or storm reaching the ground as a meteorite, and is it dangerous to observe meteor storms?

The meteoroids which make up a meteor shower or storm are very fragile in nature, and are composed of a somewhat “fluffy” composite of material from which all volatile material has escaped, due to many trips near the sun. This material readily vaporizes in the upper atmosphere, and is given the descriptive name of “friable” material. While quite spectacular to watch, a meteor storm presents no real danger to the viewer, who is protected by miles of atmosphere.

Source: The American Meteor Society Meteor Shower FAQs
edit on 24-4-2013 by FireballStorm because: clarification

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Sell that sucker.....it is worth a small fortune

2nd.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Wow....Lucky for the homeowners nobody was hurt, and lucky for them, that meteorite is worth some big bucks!

There have been people injured in their homes by falling meteorites, but thankfully it is rare enough that we don't have to worry...too much....

Don't fret too much, we may all have them in our yards soon enough, then the price will plummet just as fast as the meteorites.

Love and harmony
Whateva

new topics

top topics

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution