It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony Patent Details 'Matrix'-Like Brain Stimulation System

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Winning comparison to Hollywood technological thrillers such as "The Matrix" and "Brainstorm," a new, as-yet theoretical technology patented by Sony is based on neurological sensory stimulation of the human brain, allowing people to touch, taste and smell in a virtual sense.

As reported by New Scientist, the technology is non-invasive, requiring no implants or wiring to the brain, instead relying on an ultrasonic system that would stimulate the cerebral cortex. Speculation on the technology indicates it could potentially serve to provide realistic vision for the blind, sound for the deaf, or extreme gaming and moviegoing experiences.
Link

Promising technology, although no prototype exists yet and there hasn't been any further research done by Sony's side, this technology will eventually mature and flourish in the coming years and present some very promising implications.

According to the patent, which was granted in the U.S. in 2003, the method of brain stimulation centers on low-frequency pulses that stimulate the neural cortex without requiring any kind of implant.

Described as plausible by an expert in the New Scientist report, the technology could be the basis for a system that allows users to experience various sensations, including sight, taste, smell or sound, the patent states.

Sony reportedly described the patented technology as speculative work, and conceded there have been no experiments with it yet -- and no prototype device exists.

Although this technology is purely theoretical at this point, it could by all means be a "prophetic invention".

To quote Gartner Reynold:
"It could, over time, become a very fascinating way to stimulate brain cells. But will we be able to stimulate them to see the picture we want them to see, and will we be able to make it look real? If we had those answers, it would be very valuable, but we don't,"

edit on 24-4-2013 by Clairaudience because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
So sometimes in the future, or in a different reality than I presently know, a computer is interacting with my brain and teaching me a history lesson along with letting me enjoy what is not possible at that time by getting it out of our system. This is possible, that I am integrated into a computer. The evidence to show more probability is adding up in the inventions that are now being created.

Is this real, my thoughts? Possibly but I do not have enough evidence to prove that it is true. If it is, how many others are actually in this reality that are real players and how many are computer simulations. I guess I will know when and if I graduate and learn to fit into the real society of the future. It seems that there is too much irrational stuff happening in this world, it is hard to believe that this is the reality of a superior race of beings.

I'm not going to let this thought pattern drive me nuts. I can hurt if I get hurt and it sucks. I also seem to bleed if I get cut. It sure seems real to me
That is all I should worry about.
edit on 24-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Imagine the implications for virtual sex!

That could be a game changer! Could reduce the spread of STDs enormously!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
Imagine the implications for virtual sex!

That could be a game changer! Could reduce the spread of STDs enormously!

Yeah and prostitution would no longer be around!

Sign me up!!

ETA: Not for prositution, the virtual sex.....
......My wife would probably be happy I can stop asking every night
edit on 4/24/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Dont you have to 'prove' something work to get a patent?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Nope.

I'm sure Sony has a working prototype. They had similar patents for a while now - some even shown on documentaries.

Sony gave us the DVD and the BlueRay. I'm sure they'll give us the VSR devices that'll allow spacial immersion.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
How do we know for certain that we are not already in a virtual world, where everything we see, touch, eat, smell is so very real.

as is death.

which is why when we die, we are out of the "game" and can start another one.

but while we are inside the game, we know no different to what is virtual or what is reality.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Good now I can make enough for the interest to pay all my basic bills, get an IV drip and live in a holo deck for the rest of my days, screw this world. Im gonna build me a castle and get a cape, probably a couple of dragons too. Oh and maybe a spaceship and most deffinatly a dinosaur as my best friend lol. To hell with this place. I will also take to dressing like a pirate on thursdays!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChuckNasty

Nope.

So someone could patent a warp drive if they dont have a working version?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Very interesting... I have no doubt in my mind Sony will make this a reality and have had a concept or basic plan in their heads for a very long time. I just knew the day I saw that PS9 ad Sony ran back in 2000 to hype the ps2...My crown chakra lit up like a lightning storm when I saw it then and it still tingles anytime I see it since...for anyone who hasn't seen said advert:

I was split on if they would use nano bots similar to used in the movie Gamer or some kind of non invasive mind control such as the proposed theory to achieve this goal. Thanks for the info OP

Edit:how fitting the preview image for that ad is locked with the words mind control...
edit on 24-4-2013 by SynchronousSnake because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-4-2013 by SynchronousSnake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This is a different patent which goes into much greater detail, which I think you will find more interesting.
www.google.com...

And DARPA is investigating the military applications:
www.medgadget.com...
edit on 24-4-2013 by ATS4dummies because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I can't wait for this to happen! it's only a matter of time. It's been 10 years since they got the patent you have to wonder if they are secretly working on it whilst saying they're not.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
use it to control an android on the other side of the world and bam! instant travel. i'm gonna trademark "robot holidays inc." xD

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Nope.

If you create a believable summary and 'claims' details, then yes you can. Odds are that the patent office will reject the claim.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
All patents are patent slavery, and I denounce and renounce them for they are extreme harm against humanity, and thus illegal. This technology is underground, and already exists from what I've been told and yet, they don't own it, its cosmic.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
All patents are patent slavery, and I denounce and renounce them for they are extreme harm against humanity, and thus illegal. This technology is underground, and already exists from what I've been told and yet, they don't own it, its cosmic.

Who told you? and who told you what? what do you mean it's cosmic? and do you have any thing to backup this claim?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Melbourne_Militia
How do we know for certain that we are not already in a virtual world, where everything we see, touch, eat, smell is so very real.

as is death.

which is why when we die, we are out of the "game" and can start another one.

but while we are inside the game, we know no different to what is virtual or what is reality.

A dream within a dream... maybe. Anyhow, the days are coming where virtual reality is indistinguishable from reality, and once that time comes it will be interesting to see how it will ultimately change our perception of reality.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

PhoenixOD

Nope.

It depends... you will have to backup the majority of your claims with science. Introducing a patent is not as easy as it sounds, it involves a lot of work, scientific data, and theoretical applications.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
www.hitl.washington.edu...

I studied this at UTAS this year....

VR and pain management...

They put burn patients into it when they have treatment, pain drugs just don't cut it...

Interesting what can be achieved.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

PhoenixOD

Nope.

Seems so.
I am on record as of now patenting a bomb capable of destroying a black hole.
Bow to me, peasants! Haha

Seriously though, this can't come fast enough! We are in a matrix already (see computer code found in DNA and Superstring Equations)...

So once we develop it at this level we will be like three levels deep in a dream world.
Master and Commander.

We will willingly line up to be placed in preservation chambers and live out our lives in VR world.

I can't wait.

I just hope the AI tasked to maintain the systems don't decide they need to eat us for sustenance. Haha

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join