An idea: A spot for older heavily flagged threads on main page

page: 1
8

log in

join

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
While enjoying the new and extensive thread on Australian UFO documents I noticed some posters saying that it reminds them of some of the great threads ATS was known for. So an idea/suggestion. Why not reserve a spot on the main page, in the middle somewhere or near the bottom, for a daily "oldies but very goodies" rehash of threads with the most past flags (although they would have to be of ultra-quality too).

I've come across many good threads that haven't been posted in a long time, and the newer members (I still consider myself a new member, feeling my way along in some ways) have missed the best-of-the-best. I know you can go to the forums and hit "most flags", but I'd guess most lurkers and readers aren't aware of that. Which gives me another idea:

How about a thread which picks a date (today, next Wednesday) and posts links to the 200 or so most flagged threads? Maybe this has been done already?

Thanks.




posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
good idea OP
how about a list like the profile post and threads but sorted by a combo of flags/ or flags and first post stars?
or one srted like the stats page
over 100 over 200 etc



posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
good idea OP
how about a list like the profile post and threads but sorted by a combo of flags/ or flags and first post stars?
or one srted like the stats page
over 100 over 200 etc


Thanks, good ideas. This page www.abovetopsecret.com... has some of the listings, and contains links to the top-flagged threads in every forum. I'm just thinking about the casual reader who doesn't explore the site but goes to the main page to find new/threads/subjects they enjoy.



posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
thanks Al
II would be nice though to have a more comprehensive list, all that shows there are long time period events
which aare certainly notworthy, but not quite the same thing



posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister
 


nice idea - like an editor's (or reader's) pick of ATS's greatest hits of times past, that could change weekly for example.



posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I think that something different is needed OP, I have suggested this before and the Mods never seem to like the idea but I think what is really needed is some kind of forum with threads picked out by the Mods that have clearly had a lot of work put into them and are not the “ooo look a youtube video” or “a pretty picture” and “hey guys I think….” Type of threads. I think there should be a forum that has threads picked out by the Mods because they are original and have clearly been worked on by the author because all too often these type of threads get lost in the emotive guff on the recent posts page



posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
I think that something different is needed OP, I have suggested this before and the Mods never seem to like the idea but I think what is really needed is some kind of forum with threads picked out by the Mods that have clearly had a lot of work put into them and are not the “ooo look a youtube video” or “a pretty picture” and “hey guys I think….” Type of threads. I think there should be a forum that has threads picked out by the Mods because they are original and have clearly been worked on by the author because all too often these type of threads get lost in the emotive guff on the recent posts page


A great idea, and I hope something like that can happen. The mods would love the arguments over what threads to include, and the regular readers would gain by knowing where to go for very good topics. Maybe it can be linked on the main page? And I didn't know you had suggested the main page idea before, didn't do a search on this one. Great minds blink alike (or slink alike, or stink alike, or something).



posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
reply to post by Aleister
 


nice idea - like an editor's (or reader's) pick of ATS's greatest hits of times past, that could change weekly for example.


Thanks, and you have it right, a weekly change would be something that new readers might catch on to eventually. And with the older threads being well placed and publicized on a corner of the main page somewhere you never know what new discoveries, thoughts, and data will be added to those threads. If I could star your post I'd star it with a homemade flint star (not my homemade, I'd have to find someone to homemake it, but I'd do it!)



posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister
 


No my suggestion t was that we have like ATS super Forum I suggested on post rather than a thread.

Essentially my idea was that if anyone has wrote a very good and original thread that is packed with links, pictures, videos, analysis, is well made and so on that rather than going into its relevant forum it would get put into this “Super forum” by the Mods.

That way it would encourage more people to write better threads and they would get the recognition for these thread that they deserve and hopefully many of the pointless two line look at my YouTube channel threads would be pushed down the recent posts page.

For the record l do like your idea as well.



posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by Aleister
 


No my suggestion t was that we have like ATS super Forum I suggested on post rather than a thread.

Essentially my idea was that if anyone has wrote a very good and original thread that is packed with links, pictures, videos, analysis, is well made and so on that rather than going into its relevant forum it would get put into this “Super forum” by the Mods.

That way it would encourage more people to write better threads and they would get the recognition for these thread that they deserve and hopefully many of the pointless two line look at my YouTube channel threads would be pushed down the recent posts page.

For the record l do like your idea as well.


As you flesh your idea out it sounds better and better. Hopefully one or both of these ideas will be discussed by some of the mods and owners (over lunch, at a fine Indian restaurant,...mmmmm...must be getting hungry) and, maybe something might come of them (unless they are forgotten over the after-dinner mango juice).
edit on 24-4-2013 by Aleister because: word taken out, word



posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister
 


why thank'ee sir, just as well this is in "board biz" - i would star you but my hands are cramped from too much carving and t'would end up thus..



edit on 24-4-2013 by skalla because: hands cramped, bleeding and covered in plasters. no more late night wood carving for me



posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The only problem with going with flags and stars as the criteria, stars and flags do not always a good thread, mean. Many well crafted and thought out threads do not get stars and flags the way others not so much do.

I agree a highlighted oldie but goodie is a great idea, but someone would have to go into the catacombs and dig them up. If you find one, flag, star and post on it, that will bump it up into the active portion of the forums.at least for a time.



posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
The only problem with going with flags and stars as the criteria, stars and flags do not always a good thread, mean. Many well crafted and thought out threads do not get stars and flags the way others not so much do.

I agree a highlighted oldie but goodie is a great idea, but someone would have to go into the catacombs and dig them up. If you find one, flag, star and post on it, that will bump it up into the active portion of the forums.at least for a time.


Right, lots of good threads have almost no f & s. I have lots of old faves, subscibed here as well as linked off-site. Every once in awhile I'll bump one and see if it sticks around. But bumping an old thread only lets it surface for awhile, and only for those who patrol recent posts, and does not let it "linger" like fine wine or something in one place so more casual readers will trip across it on their way to a Boston or gun thread. Hence the main page idea.



posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister
 


I agree, bumping is only a temporary way to revive an old gem. It is just, who has time to go into the basement and find the great ones? I agree it is a great idea, I would welcome seeing something like gem of the day, or week even.





new topics
top topics
 
8

log in

join