It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why sanctions on North Korea?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Why are the sanctions on North Korea still in place? Sanctions were designed to persuade North Korea to abolish its nuclear weapons development. The sanctions have actually achieved the opposite. North Korea accelerated its nuclear program in response to sanctions. North Korea is a nuclear weapon state. Nothing is going to change that. Continued sanctions only hurt the Korean people. These sanctions make the United States look like a militaristic bully bent on world domination. Sanctions on Iran are probably having the same effect that they had on North Korea, an acceleration of nuclear weapon development.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adaluncatif
These sanctions make the United States look like a militaristic bully bent on world domination.

Then we look like exactly what we are IMO.

My only guess as to the sanctions, is that upholding them lets others know that we do not condone their behavior. As if they needed the US to condone anything. NK is definitely a lose cannon right now, so I agree that the sanctions didn't work. Lifting them at this point would make it look like we agree with lil' boy Un and his tactics. But I can only guess as to why the government does half of what it does.
edit on 4/24/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Adaluncatif

The only sentence you have that is incorrect is when you said

These sanctions make the United States look like a militaristic bully bent on world domination.

The United States Government is a militaristic bully bent on world domination.

Now all should be clear.

P

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
well if it was no so late i would be posting links and news to the contrary , but for now i will say this, we will offer food to the People of DPRK that's North Korea, but it has to go to the people, not Un and his goons, er DPRK leader ship.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
So you are saying we 'have' to trade with anyone - regardless?

You also forget that NK is all full of hot air and are like a barking dog....(not to mention barking mad)

Are you also saying that if they are going ahead regardless we should then trade with a country that hates us and teaches their people we are no better than dogs?

What are you saying really because it makes little sense.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
i think sanctions are the only ways and means this world will succeed with having a clean regime change in NK..and i firmly believe..that not only the World..but also the Korean people will benefit without their current regime in place

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadMax7
So you are saying we 'have' to trade with anyone - regardless?

You also forget that NK is all full of hot air and are like a barking dog....(not to mention barking mad)

Are you also saying that if they are going ahead regardless we should then trade with a country that hates us and teaches their people we are no better than dogs?

What are you saying really because it makes little sense.

I do not care who the US does and does not trade with. What you do not seem to understand is that the US is telling every other country on the face of the planet who they are not to trade with and backing it up with searches of foreign ships on the high seas. There is another name for that, Piracy!

These sanctions are not put in place by the UN, they are put in place by the UN Security Council. Lots of trading goes on in the background. If you would take some time you will find that the General Assembly of the UN does not always support the Security Council but its calls and votes fall on deaf ears.

Now answer this, why does Israel not face sanctions and condemnation for its Nuclear Arsenal.

P

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I'd be all for lifting the sanctions for the reasons you describe, however if we did that we would just reward KLU's behavior. Not to mention when we send aid to the people of NK the government always intercedes and hordes all the supplies. It seems the government is content to let their people starve regardless of sanctions.

CNAS.org

While the decision to deny North Korea food aid at a time when malnutrition appears to be rising is certainly a painful one, the Obama administration is doing the right thing. It has been widely reported that any food aid that arrives in North Korea is diverted away from ordinary citizens and doled out to key constituents, especially in the military.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
One of the problems with negotiations is trust. If you spend any time on these boards, the trust issues within America alone are quite significant, 9/11, GFC, GMO... It does help explain some of why America does what it does around the World. The culture of non disclosure, confidentiality, secrecy and privacy in a very competitive and internationally influenced society does bread a tough bunch that plays hard. With such a tight compartmentalization and regulatory restrictions on the flow of information, understanding the overall picture does become difficult with the exclusive access to a powerful few.

The ethics of privacy and what this means for the greater good is one area that needs assessment. During times of war the curtain of privacy is important to help keep the edge and take the advantage. During times of peace it leads to confusion, uncertainty and waste as no one has an accurate perception of reality.

It is very understandable that embarrassment, ego's, capital, different values and views will all conflict as the walls of deception do come down. Having the security to contend with this conflict and the authority to move towards a more reasoned outcome are also an important parts to this puzzle.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Sanctions were put in place exactly to hurt the people of North Korea in hopes that it would lead to an overthrow of the regime.

This is usually one of the first steps in dealing with a problem dictator. War is usually the last.

Since the North Korean government has been very effective and quelling any uprising before it even begins we have instituted new sanctions that actually target the leadership which, as we've seen, as led to an increase in rhetoric.

This was to be expected.

This is a very well outlined process of how to try and produce change in a country before you have to start dropping bombs.

Sometimes it is effective and sometimes it is not. Of course its far more complicated than that but this is the basic reason why we have sanctions there.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Adaluncatif

I am not pro_communism but there are some remarkable facts :

1- I remember North Korea ruined some of it's nuclear facilities but USA did not do what it had promised. at least this is what North Korea always complains about.

2- North Korea is a card for China with which bargains with USA about political issues !

3- unlike North Korea, Iran is a member of NPT and most of the world (180 non_aligned countries) know well that it is just after peaceful nuclear enrichment. but the problem is that if 5+1 (6 countries) recognize Iran's right (according to NPT) then all the other 180 countries will want their right of peaceful enrichment. then some equations may change !!

4- I remember some news that Iran may decide to enrich up to 60% because they think that in order to circle the sanctions and export oil they should have nuclear powered oil tankers !!!

edit on 25-4-2013 by maes2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Continued sanctions only hurt the Korean people.

Have you actually bothered to look up the actual sanctions? We're not talking about not trading food, medicine, etc.

Also, it isn't just the US, but the ENTIRE UN SECURITY COUNCIL (including Russia and China, traditional supporters of NK). NOBODY on the council wants a nuclear North Korea. Now, we can say, "It isn't FAIR!" all we want, but the bottom line is, no, it isn't, but neither is life. If you do business with someone, you can CHOOSE who, and if they don't meet your standards, agree NOT to trade with them.

In this case, the standard is easy...abandon your nuke program, sanctions go bye bye. If not, too bad, so sad. The move is entirely up to NK. Comply, or wither.

If a company holds a view that you disagree with, do you still buy their products, or do you go to a competitor? Same principle here.

To another:

It has been widely reported that any food aid that arrives in North Korea is diverted away from ordinary citizens and doled out to key constituents, especially in the military.

Well of course it is...a dictator with a hungry army won't be around much longer....
edit on 25-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I would also think that Sanctions also aid in a war against the country if it happens.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by skorpius

Sanctions are only good if nations actually abide by them though...there are plenty who ARE dealing with NK on the sly....to certain extents...China, Russia, and Iran to be sure...for starters.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Sanctions are put in place to avoid war. North Korea knows exactly what they are doing and they also know the entire world, minus Iran, does not want them to be a nuclear state. If they implode because of their own ignorance, it's their fault, not ours. If they go to war with the US they will loose millions. If we impose sanctions, they loose jobs and maybe a couple thousand people because of lack of food.

Lack of food mainly is their fault because they refuse to invest money into a farming economy. To be honest, I think every country needs to impose harsher sanctions of them. It's not just OUR fault. NK view their "beloved leader" as if he were some type of god. If you're willing to allow yourself to be so ignorant and brain washed, maybe you don't belong on this planet anymore. We have enough idiots running around like chickens with their heads cut off on a day to day basis. If the North Koreans want to support such barbaric behavior, let them go extinct. Nobody on this planet has time to deal with little kids running a country as if it were a video game. Lets grow up, honestly.

THEY have the option to stop acting so childish and focus of what's really important, their people. But if they choose to ignore their biggest supporter (barely, and not because they like them) China, and also Russia, pft, well as I said, it's on everyone in that country.

Just my opinion based on actually living in SK for a year. Don't even get me started on them either, ughh lol
edit on 25-4-2013 by xxcircasurf because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2013 by xxcircasurf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcircasurf
Sanctions are put in place to avoid war. North Korea knows exactly what they are doing and they also know the entire world, minus Iran, does not want them to be a nuclear state. If they implode because of their own ignorance, it's their fault, not ours. If they go to war with the US they will loose millions. If we impose sanctions, they loose jobs and maybe a couple thousand people because of lack of food.

I think China wants them to be a nuclear state ! North Korea is in hand of China. Iran has no role and it is not related to the issue.
North Korea like India and Pakistan and Israel is not a member of NPT.
Iran like USA and many other countries is a member of NPT.
There is a big difference.
North Korea is blamed because of making nuclear bombs.
but Iran is a symbol of internal NPT members mistrust.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Sanctions are acts of bullying, no buts no ifs.

UN security council is just a Big Boys Bully Club.Period.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mypan

Big guy sees a little guy making a bomb, gleefully cackling about how he's going to blow everyone up.
Big guy punches the little guy in the nose and takes his bomb away.

Bullying? or Public Service? Different viewpoints I suppose.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
My only guess as to the sanctions, is that upholding them lets others know that we do not condone their behavior.

More importantly, once their population is starving, you can use that to convince dumb people that North Korea has bad people in charge.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by mypan

Big guy sees a little guy making a bomb, gleefully cackling about how he's going to blow everyone up.
Big guy punches the little guy in the nose and takes his bomb away.

Bullying? or Public Service? Different viewpoints I suppose.

You mean Israel, Right ? Threatening ultimatum with her Samson Option. Why no sanction on Israel ?

What's good for the goose must be good for the gander but so far as anyone can see, that isn't so.

Public Service ? Come on Gaz, you've been here a long time and know better than that.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join