It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
The representatives of the people of the United Federation of Planets, organized as the Supreme Assembly and the Federation Council, believing that the ignorance, neglect, or contempt of the rights of Sentients are the sole cause of public calamities and of the corruption of governments, have determined to set forth in a solemn declaration the natural, unalienable, and sacred rights of Sentients and all citizens.
1. Sentients are born and remain free and equal in rights. The law must in all cases respect this principle.
2. The aim of all government is the preservation of the natural and irreversible rights of Sentients. These rights are liberty, property, security, conscience, expression, intimate association and resistance to oppression.
3. The principle of all sovereignty resides essentially in the nation. No individual may exercise any authority that does not proceed directly from the nation.
4. Liberty consists in the freedom to do everything that injures no one else; hence the exercise of the natural rights of each Sentient has no limits except those which assure to the other members of the society the enjoyment of the same rights.
5. Law can only prohibit such actions as are demonstrably and objectively hurtful to society. Nothing may be prevented which is not forbidden by law,
and no one may be forced to do anything not provided for by law.
6. Law is the expression of the general will. Every citizen has a right to participate personally, or through his representative, in its foundation. It must be the same for all, whether it protects or punishes. All citizens, being equal in the eyes of the law, are equally eligible to all dignities and to all public positions and occupations, according to their abilities, and without distinction except that of their virtues and talents. The law may not designate any group of citizens and deny them equal benefits, standing, privileges or protections based solely upon their membership in said designated group.
7. No person shall be accused, arrested, or imprisoned except in the cases and according to the forms prescribed by law. Any one soliciting, transmitting, executing, or causing to be executed, any arbitrary order shall be punished. But any citizen summoned or arrested in virtue of the law shall submit without delay, as resistance constitutes an offense. Under no circumstances may any person be compelled to provide evidence or testimony against themselves.
But any citizen summoned or arrested in virtue of the law shall submit without delay, as resistance constitutes an offense