It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contacting someone for proper Youtube credit attribution?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Hello All, I have a problem and need some assistance from others who may have dealt with this in the past.

Problem

I have a term project I'm working on that includes making a mock website designed to be a near functional travel agency. The specifics aren't really important beyond that except to say that time ins't necessarily my friend right now. The thought to add this section was literally a last minute thing, but should add real value to the project.

What I am adding is a foreign language section, specifically guides and assistance in basic street/tourist level KiSwahili (Central/East African language). I've found what I want for the video area of the section and it's a half dozen or so vids by the same guy that produced an entire series running dozens more than what I'm using.

Issue

College isn't like our friendly post and share here at ATS. Among other things, credit and permissions are nothing casual or taken lightly for how it's treated. Now, under terms of Youtube, I don't believe I'm outright required, even for this, to get written permission for simple embed link that displays his videos (4-8 mins each, if that matters). They aren't listed as Copyrighted or commercial. However, it's a professional thing to do if nothing else.

Question

How do I directly contact the owner of a Youtube content channel? Is the name shown basically just @gmail.com for the Email since it's all one big happy company these days or is there another way to find that? I'm ignorant of Youtube beyond how to search for a video that looks 'neat' and hit play to watch it. Despite motivation to make my own channel, I've never done it for a variety of reasons....so this is a big question mark for me.

I'm posting this here because I figure I'm not the only one or last to have this issue and question so an answer may well help others too. Thanks in advance for any information in how to contact the person behind Youtube content.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit. Here's his FB page, listed on his youtube page.... ask him there...he seems to reply to posts from people.

www.facebook.com...

His personal website
www.kulmansam.com

Good Luck Sweet Pea...I'm searching for a personal contact for you too

ETA: Found it on his website listed above.

My name was still remains (2008) Samir Khamis Amour Khamis Al-Busaidy, but this time it has changed! Samir. Khamis. Al-Busaidy. (still a long name huh??), many call me Sammy, my nick name on line is Kulmansam.

If you feel like writing me a line, my email is [email protected]

Go to his website, www.kulmansam.com... I got that from his youtube pg. And you'll find the live link to email him.

Des

edit on 24-4-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Just keep knocking and that door will open. Try sending a message via youtube messaging service to the channel owner, i'm sure, somewhere in the info there is contact information and such. You might have to go through some other videos of theirs and check the details, or check the last 30 seconds of the videos for contact info. If you want a straight up name and address and contact information, I don't think Youtube is going to provide that, but I could be wrong. There's really a thousand ways to skin this cat, just gotta keep pluggin' away. At minimum, I'd try my best and knowing this is mock, or just for class and not for professional use, maybe get away with one here. Then again, that could be the very thing they're teaching you not to do.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thank you so much Destiny. That helps a great deal and I feel bad for not having the taken the time to hunt it our myself, given how quick you found it..but very much appreciate the time saved at this particular moment.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Destinyone

Thank you so much Destiny. That helps a great deal and I feel bad for not having the taken the time to hunt it our myself, given how quick you found it..but very much appreciate the time saved at this particular moment.

No problem Wrabbit. Wish you luck...he sounds like a nice man, don't think it will be a problem at all.

BTW, I've spent years doing internet research..so ask if you need help...I don't mind at all...

Des

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Dear Wrabbit2000,

Good luck in your studies. Let me address something you said.

College isn't like our friendly post and share here at ATS. Among other things, credit and permissions are nothing casual or taken lightly for how it's treated. Now, under terms of Youtube, I don't believe I'm outright required, even for this, to get written permission for simple embed link that displays his videos (4-8 mins each, if that matters). They aren't listed as Copyrighted or commercial. However, it's a professional thing to do if nothing else.

I am not sure that you are correct. I don't believe you need this persons permission to link to them. 100 years ago, if I provided someone's whole article in my book then I would need their permission because people are buying their book by buying my book. This is not true with the internet and ATS recognizes this. If in my post I accurately and properly cite my source and provide a link then their document is the some public arena that it always was. Lets say I link to the London Times and it is a pay only site, you won't be able to read the article unless you pay their site. It is not plagiarism to provide a link to someone else's site as their words remain on their site. Now, reprinting their whole article on my site and not providing a link without permission would be unprofessional.

Let us also consider this, a thousand different sites might all host the same video, how am I to know who truly originally posted it and whether or not they had permission. Who are you going to ask permission of? I believe the same rules that apply to linking to YouTube videos are those that apply to putting footnotes in a college document. I don;t have to ask for permission to put a footnote in a book, I see it the same.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

I hear ya on the fact I'm probably being too careful and over-cautious in my attribution of material with permission. At the same time, the problem of improper use of 3rd party content and plagiarism is an issue which may have been a topic for a strong lecture or warning in times past. These days? It can and has, at this school as well as the University it feeds into, cost students their entire academic career without warnings issued or much in the way of concern for explanation. However it's been before, it's become a near unforgivable and totally unforgiving offense.

So, I try to always error on the side of going too far when it comes to this area in anything related to school in even a passing way. When a mistake can cost me everything ...literally, everything ..it never hurts to go the extra mile, right?

If I can't get what I need on it, there are always other ways of accomplishing almost everything. Other sources that are outright public domain, for instance. They just aren't as good as what this gentleman has put together for it.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I hear ya on the fact I'm probably being too careful and over-cautious in my attribution of material with permission. At the same time, the problem of improper use of 3rd party content and plagiarism is an issue which may have been a topic for a strong lecture or warning in times past. These days? It can and has, at this school as well as the University it feeds into, cost students their entire academic career without warnings issued or much in the way of concern for explanation. However it's been before, it's become a near unforgivable and totally unforgiving offense.

So, I try to always error on the side of going too far when it comes to this area in anything related to school in even a passing way. When a mistake can cost me everything ...literally, everything ..it never hurts to go the extra mile, right?

If I can't get what I need on it, there are always other ways of accomplishing almost everything. Other sources that are outright public domain, for instance. They just aren't as good as what this gentleman has put together for it.

Dear Wrabbit2000,

Ask your teacher how are you to footnote in an age where a footnote is the same as a link to a publicly posted whatever. If you post the title and author of a book or website, to search for it online is going to take them to the same place you linked to. It is not plagiarize and I would never recommend that someone plagiarize. You have been on other threads with me, I always attribute my sources. I truly believe that you should treat a link in the same manner that one treats a footnote. I don't think you can get in trouble for linking to someone's book on Amazon, they can choose to buy it or not. If you link to someone's public post, like my blog, then you haven't stole their words, you have linked to them and they have no right to complain. I might think differently about things posted by minors. Kids can have their criminal records erased once they turn 18, maybe your internet history should be the same, I don't know, still working on it.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
It is still good form to cite your sources, even if youtube. It may not be required legally or ethically, but I know from previous study where we had to in fact find and source online information, it was part of the criteria we were scored on.

I guess it depends entirely on your own intent in this case.

Now we just wait until the time that youtube decides to alter it's t&c and requires that you accept the term that anything you upload to them becomes their sole property and that they retain all rights to your video content.

Then we make the MeTube website and start again!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

This video has no principle subject or interviewer names, hence it begins with the title of the video

“IBM's Watson Wins Person of the Year at the 15th Annual Webby Awards,” YouTube video, 2:47, posted by "TheWebbyAwards," June 13, 2011, hxtp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=makDyycHvmw&feature=fvhl

Video, with a principle subject, from an online source other than YouTube:
John Harwood, “The Pros and Cons of Biden,” New York Times video, 2:00, August 23, 2008, hxtp://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=a425c9aca92f51bd19f2a621fd93b5e266507191

Like that, really.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Dear winofiend,

Yes, give a person their due and let others decide if they wish to read their words. I am an openly Christian old man; but, if I were to quote Mr. Anton LeVay (the founder of the church of Satan), I would link to his website and let people decide for themselves if they agreed with him and buy his books. I would not republish his works and steal from him (and I do know he is dead, I would not steal from his children).

There was a senator in California that published Hitler's "Mein Kampf" in English. Hitler published in German, we published in English. As horrid as he was, he deserved to be paid his royalties if we are to have copyright laws.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I own some copyrights for stuff other people upload without permission to YouTube. I prove ownership....Youtube removes them the same day.

My point? Make sure the channel OWNERS produced the videos themselves...otherwise you need to find the registered and legal owners/creators of those videos. Just because they are on a channel...doesnt mean they are owned by the channel owner. Of course not. Just tryin to help....

GLuck W! As always...!MS

new topics

top topics

join