It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14-YEAR-OLD MCDONALD'S HAMBURGER REMAINS SURPRISINGLY UNCHANGED

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
au.news.yahoo.com...

Even with all of the healthy options out there for people on the go who just want something quick and easy, a fast-food hamburger can not only satisfy the appetite, but also be easy on the wallet. But just how easy is it on your digestive tract with all of those preservatives? Simple table salt is a preservative, but the additive butylated hydroxyanisole, or BHA, is commonly used to keep foods from spoiling quickly, too.

Today's story may make you think twice about how many preservatives some common foods contain. Utah resident David Whipple recently sent in a McDonald's hamburger patty to the TV show "The Doctors." Whipple explained that originally he wanted to show his friends how enzymes work, and he thought using a burger would be a good idea. He bought it on July 7, 1999. However, after a month, he had forgotten about it. Fast-forward two years later, and his wife discovered the patty inside a paper bag in one of his coat pockets.

Whipple was surprised to see that the hamburger patty was essentially unchanged. He hung onto it for a long while longer. Now, 14 years after it was first purchased, the hamburger patty still has no mold or fungus on it. In fact, the only thing different about the condition of the hamburger is that the pickle that came inside it has completely disintegrated.

Whipple has even held onto the original receipt as proof of when and where the burger was purchased. He said he uses the burger as a way to encourage his grandchildren to make healthy eating choices.

Whipple is not the first person to document what happens to a McDonald's hamburger patty over time. New York City artist Sally Davies created the Happy Meal Project in which she posts a new picture every day to her Flickr account of the same burger and fries from a Happy Meal.

In addition, blogger Karen Hanrahan, who writes Best of Mother Earth, did a similar experiment with a McDonald's hamburger. Hanrahan has used the same hamburger for more than 16 years in a class she teaches to parents about why they should keep junk food away from their children.

The Trending Now team reached out to McDonald's regarding the shelf life of its burgers and the number of preservatives used to keep them from spoiling. The following is a statement from the company regarding its hamburger patties:

“McDonald’s hamburgers are freshly prepared in our restaurants. While not knowing the conditions in which the food was kept in this specific claim, what is scientifically known is that in bacteria and mold only grow under certain conditions.

For example, without sufficient moisture – either in the food itself or the environment in which it is held – bacteria and mold and associated decomposition, is unlikely. If food is/or becomes dry enough, it won’t grow mould or bacteria. In fact, any food purchased from a restaurant or grocery store or prepared at home that lacks moisture would also dehydrate and see similar results if left in the same environment.

McDonald's hamburger patties in the U.S. are made with 100% USDA-inspected beef. They are cooked and prepared with salt, pepper and nothing else - no preservatives - no fillers. Our hamburger buns are made from North American-grown wheat flour. These are the same foods that people buy every day in their local grocery stores."
edit on 23-4-2013 by CaptainBeno because: link

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I'm lovin' it!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

McD's food must be magic!

Just like ol Ronald!! You crazy clown!

Pure 100% beef.... yup!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

This does nothing to my opinion of McDonalds, its still looks semi tasty.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLDRAFT

You can put lipstick on a turd...................but, it's still a turd.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

I saw this on my FB and it made my stomach turn!! EWWW!

Gotta love McDonald's reply. What a load of BS! I am not surprised they came back with an answer like that. Typical. It reminds me of when I emailed the local grocery store on their products and how and where they are made. I got a text book BS answer. Sadly many take these answers as valid and correct when they are just being bs'd all the way thru!!

I have never liked McDonald's. I won't lie though in the beginning of my pregnancy for some odd damn reason I had to have their chicken nuggets. I dont even like their chicken nuggets, they are gross but in the beginning of my pregnancy they were delicious. Now the smell makes me gag. I am not a fast food fan, it all tastes like crap but I do enjoy BK or Wendy's every now and then and that is usually when Im on a road trip and need something quick and easy and even then I feel like crap afterwards.

I know people who think McDonald's is the best thing since sliced bread all the while knowing how bad it is! They don't care. Honestly it's expensive to eat there! You could make a pretty good meal at home for what they charge for their processed junk. Yes it's quick and easy but is that really worth hurting your health?! NO!

I am going to get a burger and keep it and document it. I want to show McDonald's their answer is crap. I live in FL and it's very humid here so things like crackers will go bad in days if not properly stored in an air tight container. I will keep a burger out and see what happens over time. Nothing should last 14yrs unharmed!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
150 year old crackers.

I bet if you go back 150 years there's a macdonald in there somewhere too. Evil bastards...

Think of the children.. the civil war children

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I think all the fast food joints put the same amount of preservatives in there stuff. Once found a hardees burger behind some hazmat barrels, still in the wrapper... Looked good enough to eat. It was over a year old and I'm sure it would have looked the same in ten years.

But... I'm sure if y'all take a look behind your fridge, you'll see similarly preserved foodstuff. Being a military brat and being in the military, I know for a fact that chicken nuggets are way worse than burgers from McDonald's.

Good post op, S&F for stirring up repressed memories

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Honestly, I really have to stick my hand up and say that I'm a bit of a burger eater....... especially macca's.

But this has changed my mind. Yuk!

My wife and I got some take out Pizza from Pizza Hut the other week and it was rank! We made our own last night for ourselves and the kids and it was awesome! Seriously bloody awesome.

I cook quite a lot and consider myself to be above the average ability (So he says himself!! Tut!) when it comes to the kitchen
But I have always had cravings for fast food. This has made me think twice. Sure I knew it was bad in the first place (I'm fit 79 kg 5ft 8") but always had that craving......................it smells soooooooo good!!

But I'm going to make my own from now on. Besides, have you ever made burgers over charcoal.............wow!! yum!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Did you happen to come across the recipe for the hardtack in the vid?

Need to make a pan full for the next time I go camping... Wife would probably cut me, but it'll be funny as heck.

But then again, this just shows that Americans make/made everything to last. The made in China stuff has gots to go.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
At least the pickle disintegrated, right? You can eat the pickles at McDonalds, but don't quote me on that.
I wish I had more thumbs.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Thanks for posting that. I believe you have stumbled across the missing link. Now I know where Pop-Tarts came from! They weren't 'created' after all, they evolved! And I am thinking of the children, those poor civil war children that will never know the joy of a pop-tart fresh out of the microwave. Gotta go. The microwave just went off! I'm just getting ready to dig into my pre-Cambrian cheese and brontosaur burrito and some Neolithic Natcho's !

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I stopped eating Pizza Hut when i found out their cheese had silicone in it... EEEK!

I love making my own pizza and pizza crust. Sure it takes a little longer but in the time you are waiting for them to deliver your pizza you could have made your own crust and pizza! I like a good white pizza and that is hard to find. Sometimes I buy these premade crusts that are individual servings and its a mini pizza. It is quick and easy!! It is also cheaper! I like a lot of toppings on my pizza and that gets costly when they charge $1.50 per extra!!!

As for burgers nothing is better than a homemade one over a grill! I was at my moms last weekend and they made burgers. I had bacon and all the trimmings. It was delicious!!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Discussed numerous times over the years.
Most recently here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join