It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Terminator' Hand Developed By UK Scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I never have seen this posted, but it's a cool news story.

A new bionic hand that can be controlled with an iPhone could offer amputees the closest thing yet to having a real hand again. The i-limb Ultra Revolution claims to offer wearers unparalleled realism with advanced dexterity, versatility and incredibly lifelike hand movements.

I can imagine how many people who have lost their hands. Have found it difficult to adjust to life without being able to properly use any item. Now, UK Scientist are changing that!

The hand was developed in the UK by prosthetic design company Touch Bionics, based in Livingstone.

Among the features are a motorised rotating thumb which can be controlled by the wearer's muscle signals and which can move automatically into position as part of a pre-set grip pattern. Built-in Bluetooth functionality allows an app on a user's iPhone to store and transmit up to 24 pre-programmed grips or gestures.

One of the first customers is 16-year-old Patrick Kane who contracted meningitis aged nine months old. Doctors were forced to amputate Patrick's right leg below the knee as well as all of the fingers of his left hand and part of each finger on his right hand. But it was not until he was nine years old that he was given his first prosthetic hand, which was a passive device that fitted over what remained of his left hand. "I really didn't use it very much," said Patrick. "It didn't provide me with any new function, and I had become very comfortable using my left hand in my day-to-day life anyway."

Patrick wearing a previous bionic hand at the 2012 Olympics

Now, after a visit to Touch Bionics, Patrick has become the first person in the UK to be fitted with the Revolution which he says has given him functionality he never before thought possible. "It's more efficient and everything looks and feels so much smoother," Patrick told Sky News. "You can make the thumb oppose your fingers or make it parallel with them. Previously I'd have to manually change my thumb by pushing it with my other hand. "It's slowly getting closer to being like a real human hand. It can even do things a real hand can't - and sometimes stronger and quicker. "It's really useful in science class when everyone has to use metal tongs to pick up things that are really hot while I can just use my hand. I get a lot of Terminator jokes! "A real human hand will be difficult to replicate exactly as it has had millions of years of evolution put into it. But the possibilities the Revolution offers are very exciting."

Here are some great pictures which show how Patrick has become used to his bionic hand and the pictures are great in illustrating how well the bionic hand works.

A variety of flexible wrist options enable better natural positioning of the hand when gripping or picking up objects.

A bio-sim app gives the wearer greatly expanded control capability via 24 Quick Grips from a single screen tap.

A variety of flexible wrist options enables natural positioning of the hand when gripping objects.

New remote electrodes offer a higher level of sensitivity giving the wearer enhanced control.

I'm looking at this and I see how awesome this is. Because Patrick is now able to use his left hand after it being amputated and now this bionic hand works perfectly for him. Which I find this to be incredible. Science and technology is changing the way we live for the better. I'm glad for Patrick and thankful for the incredible bionic hand created by the creators. Awesome!
Source
Source 2

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
If only everyone used their mind for the greater good of humanity, we would be in far better shape as a whole. This is definitely moving the human species forwards for the better!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazzo

I agree and really think we should use people Patrick as an example. Because how well the bionic hand works for him and how it can open doors for countless others.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
wow

if you lose your hand, dont worry, theres an App for that! lol

just got to add this

Terminator and The Matrix, were both written by a black woman

sophia stewart

she got 2.5 billion....

edit on 23-4-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

No, you're incorrect about the Sophia Stewart winning billions of dollars. That's an old hoax that I cannot believe anyone will believe.
Source

But the bionic hand is really nice.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
wow

just got to add this

sophia stewart

she got 2.5 billion....

Why should it matter the race of the person who wrote the matrix or the terminator?

Regardless, that story about Sophia Stewart, that "trial" or the fact that she created the matrix or the terminator is false. She didnt create neither the terminator, nor the matrix nor did she ever won any case in any court against the brothers. That story has been debunked and is a lie.

Enjoy.

Link from Examiner.com

Sophia Stewart Lie

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

wow

just got to add this

sophia stewart

she got 2.5 billion....

Why should it matter the race of the person who wrote the matrix or the terminator?

Regardless, that story about Sophia Stewart, that "trial" or the fact that she created the matrix or the terminator is false. She didnt create neither the terminator, nor the matrix nor did she ever won any case in any court against the brothers. That story has been debunked and is a lie.

Enjoy.

Link from Examiner.com

Sophia Stewart Lie

That's an interesting read, I didn't know about this.

Have no idea what it has to do with artificial limbs or the ethnicity of writers, however, lol.

Yeah the monomyth is an ancient story. Hell, you could even twist sparticus or 'gladiator' into it somehow.

I do wish articles would stop using fruit products to sell themselves though. I mean, a guy has no hands, but he can now control his new hands with an iphone.

What the?

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Guys, I do not care about the lady and the case. To me it is a hoax, but it's pointless to argue. The thread is about the bionic hand which is cool and I see you all as cool ATS amigos too.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

wow

just got to add this

sophia stewart

she got 2.5 billion....

So, I guess that all that you got from this thread, was that it would be cute/funny/cool to make a joke about someone losing their limbs, and using this new bionic technology? Very odd, and that's being kind.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Well... I see it more as a "demonstration of another application of everyday use". Call me naive. Lets face it... those things are part of our world, today we ask "how will he operate simple tasks such as x, y, z and a simple touch screen mobile phone"

Maybe you're right though, I wont argue, but thats the way I see things... maybe if this were the 80s the question would be "a walkman", the 90s a "cellphone", the 70s a "tv remote"

This is awesome though, no question about it. Does it have a strength regulator or limit? Or can you shatter someone else's skull at will?

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I fail to see the logic in using an iPhone in my good hand to control the strap on on my other wrist.

Put the iPhone away and just use your good hand! Seems silly!

P

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

wow

just got to add this

sophia stewart

she got 2.5 billion....

wish i can take a star away for that one.

the wachowski brothers wrote and directed matrix

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
This limb, and others like it, are paving the way for a brighter future for amputees. I would like to see as much tech being applied to the lower limbs of course, since it is those which bear the weight of the user, and enable thier mobilitiy.

But the level of dexterity of this limb appear to be fantastic, and I can only hope that further advances are made which will make the use of such a thing, no more complicated for the user than the operation of thier original, fleshly limbs.

new topics

top topics

join