It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spellcheck? I would of.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Just having discussions with my little brother, and I can't help but notice he couldn't use the word 'have'. So, instead of ' would have'.... I get ' would of'. Since that discussion, I've noticed people on this forum, as well as Twatter and Faceache, having the very same trouble using the word 'have'.

Maybe its a pandemic? Maybe the chem trails are stealing all the 'haves'. Or could it just be that the social twisted barely educated runts that are to try and get their opinion taken seriously, fail at that very notion because the use of the basic language just doesn't grasp them. I mean seriously.... ' I would of thought about it'. It doesn't make sense.

' so Dr. What's wrong with me?'
'Well I'm sorry to say that that shag you had last week gave you more than a smile on your face. I'm afraid you of herpes'.

Wake up runts. Speak properly. I can manage it, and I'm Scottish, the home of words that don't make sense and vowels that sound like we're viable to throw our lunch up at any given moment. I know 'have' and 'of' are different..... Trust me. They are!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Isn't it grammar instead of spelling?

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

I'm with you.

I refuse to use "LOL" or "IDK" or any of that other crap.
It especially pisses me off when people use LOL in the title of their thread. It makes me want to hunt them down and turn their face into a lamp shade.

Has the use of proper spelling and grammar become so difficult? It's not rocket science.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Isn't it grammar instead of spelling?

Touche!

Forgive me, I was ranting. Considering that what you point out and the missing capital 's' from the Dr. quoting scenario, I don't think I faired too badly.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

Yes, "spell as you pronounce" is rampant, and more obvious when it's based on sloppy pronunciation.
I see it as a symptom of the fact that people are reading less, so they're less familiar with how words look.
One of my peeves is the way that the old saying "If you think that, you've got another think coming" has been corrupted by mispronunciation into the meaningless "You've got another thing coming".
But it also gives an insight into what's happening to pronunciation; I was startled to see one youngster on this site address another user as "mang", which must have been his pronunciation of "man".

And on the other poster's quibble; of course it's a case of "spelling". The word "have" is being wrongly spelled, in consequence of being mispronounced..

edit on 23-4-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by RobbieK

I'm with you.

It especially pisses me off when people use LOL in the title of their thread. It makes me want to hunt them down and turn their face into a lamp shade.

Has the use of proper spelling and grammar become so difficult? It's not rocket science.

I must admit I'm guilty of using 'LOL' on occasions, but the problem being is that I know what words my brother meant to use. But he's been Chavved up and all street 'innit'. He won't be calling me again in a hurry... Well... Not until a week before his birthday just to remind me.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by RobbieK
would of

I think when people mean "would of", they mean "would've", which is short for "would have".

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
IDK, all the events happening in the world and this is what makes you rant? Lol!!

I wouldn't of let something like this get to me.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
IDK, all the events happening in the world and this is what makes you rant? Lol!!

I wouldn't of let something like this get to me.

Smart arse! You're right though. But in my defence I'm having an operation on Thursday and was told not to get stressed. So I'm venting on everything
. And besides, I might be wrong in thinking that this thread may be one of the few that isn't claiming a 'false flag'. Not yet anyway!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I feel ya, OP. The other one that I have noticed a lot? Younger generations HATE the phrase 'to be'. Go ahead and listen to their conversations. It will always be "the dog needs fed" not "the dog needs to be fed", which is the correct phrasing.

Drives me insane.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by RobbieK

I'm with you.

IDK, but I would of thought that there grammer and spelling would of been better sinse you made that clearer. LOL, just kidding.
(PS- IMHO)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Not to be picky but that would be grammar not spelling.

I see your point and agree! I get so frustrated and annoyed reading comments online by ADULTS who seem like they never finished elementary school with the way they talk. I think the internet has made people flat out lazy tbh when it comes to spelling and grammar. I know many who say they don't care but I think they should. Heck I get teased for correcting my own errors when I post without proof reading. I was brought up in school to PROOF READ EVERYTHING TWICE! Sometimes I am lazy and don't but when I do I fix my mistakes.

Many will say that having bad grammar or spelling doesn't mean anything and that I'm a snob for getting on people who use both incorrectly. It doesn't mean you are a bad person no but it does mean that you are lazy and don't care if you ask me! I'm sorry but how does an adult NOT know how to use words like "their, there or they're" by the time the reach adulthood?! I know my teachers beat those rules into our heads. Maybe i just had strict teachers I don't know but it would seem to me that those grammar rules are basic ones you learn at a young age and would then use quite often after so why do people STILL have problems using them correctly?!

I get called a grammar/spelling Nazi all the time but I will not sit here and decipher what an adult is saying. I can't stand when people spell words like "what" as "wut" or they say "dat" instead of "that." Drives me crazy!!

I remember reading a book, it was the 7th season of Buffy The Vampire Slayer actually and that book had HORRIBLE editing! It was so bad I started over and circled ALL errors in red and sent it BACK to the publisher! They responded by saying I should take it back to the store and my answer was they were the ones who published it like that it is their responsibility! You could not finish the book it was that bad. You would turn the page and it would just cut off and pick up in a random spot chapters later. It had spelling and grammar errors out the rear and yet someone was PAID to edit that!! I see the same thing on news websites, bad editing. It's like hey that is your job and you still mess it up! So again people are just lazy imo because nobody really cares about it and if you do you are labeled a grammar Nazi.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A blood vessel in my eye ruptured from reading that.
You are a cruel and evil person.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

I cringe whenever I hear someone say, "I'm used of it," Instead of "I'm used TO it."

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
One that bugs me..
When people say they "seen" something instead of saw.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Quite often the mistakes are the result of the spell checkers
or in my case sticky keys on the keyboard.

I also agree with cobaltic above. If peoples spelling is the only thing you've got to worry about you should consider yourself extremely lucky! Most of us HAVE real world issues to worry about.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

I don't think I faired too badly.

i think it's fared, not faired.

If you're going to be a grammar and spelling Nazi, at least set a good example.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by secret titan
One that bugs me..
When people say they "seen" something instead of saw.

What is wrong with that.

'' I have seen that film''
'' i saw suzie with her dog''
'' I have seen suzie with her dog''

All correct.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

What is wrong with that. '' I have seen that film'' '' i saw suzie with her dog'' '' I have seen suzie with her dog'' All correct.

Not 'have seen'.... just 'seen'... like... "I seen that tractor you bought at the auction last week."

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Oh yes, I feel your pain!

Spelling/Tyops *=-)*, and composition don't bother me so much, but I can become annoyed when I see the wrong use of specific words or inaccurate phrases . I try not to let it bother me while I'm reading, because I am sure I have been guilty of similar things in the past.

There are several mis-used words and phrases that get under my skin when I see, or hear, them...

One that makes me want to dig up my grandma and slap her, more than most others, is the incorrect pronunciation of 'especially'. I guess there are a lot of people who just don't know how to pronounce it or spell it, because I hear it spoken as 'exspecially', 'ekspecially', 'igspecially', 'egspecially'. Another peave is when I see 'specially' where 'especially' should be used, ex.;

"I thought so, *specially* when I found out they ate one too!"

It can make me cringe to hear and it's even worse when a supposed scholar pronounces it this way.

One of the worst offenders of this is Univ. Southern California Trojans' coach Lane Kiffin. Not only does he hack the word 'especially', saying 'ekspecially', he uses it very often. In fact, it seems as if he may think it's cool to pronounce it as 'ekspecially'. I wish someone would politely tell him, and others who hack the word to pieces, that they sound phonetically retarded.

Periodically I will see new phrases being field dressed. This makes me wonder, 'What are these people being taught in spelling/writing/speaking classes or why do they ignore the proper pronunciation?' Is it laziness, ignorance, or a genuine learning disability?

Here are some of the phrases I have found at the 'Butcher Shop':

~- Case and Point ~~ Case in Point -~

~- Cue ~~~ Queue ~~~ Que -~

~- Simular ~~~~~~ Similar -~

The next phrases I see as 'Fad' Phrases, used in pop-culture as the 'it' or 'in' phrase. These can be very annoying, but there are some fun ones too! I've only posted a couple, but I am sure anyone reading this can think of many, many, many more... such as, being 'Munsoned' - from the movie 'KingPin' (although I do like the Munsoned word):

~- 'So it begins' or 'And so it begins'-~

~- 'Winning'-~ - this one wasn't so bad, because of the way it came about.

Other Incorrect Phrases I've Noticed:

~- Chester Drawers -vs- Chest of drawers -~

~- Yet Alone -vs- Let Alone -~

~- Leave and Let Leave - or - Leave and Let Live - or - Live and Let Leave -~

~- I could care less vs. I couldn't care less. -~

Mis-used words:

- Using 'then' where 'than' should be used & vice-versa, is really annoying and is used A LOT!

- 'Literally';

Joe says, 'When the Fed slaps the wrist of the banks it is literally the pot calling the kettle black.' auh... not unless the feds and banks miraculously turned into talking kettles and pots

- Prescribe -vs- Subscribe

- Prescribe/Prescription pronounced and/or typed 'Perscribe' - or - 'Perscription'

- your -vs- you're (you are)

I know there are many more incorrect usages and I am sure I'll always see new ones throughout my life. I just hope the mis-use of new phrases and words isn't continually getting worse through time

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join