It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reddit apologizes for Boston bombing 'Witch Hunt'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The general manager of the social linking site Reddit has apologized for the "witch hunts and dangerous speculation" that were generated in posts attempting to identify the Boston Marathon bombers. Erik Martin wrote yesterday that Reddit must learn from what happened on its site and "make sure that in the future we do everything we can to help and not hinder crisis situations."

What happened last night was disgusting. His name was trending worldwide, thousands of keyboard warriors brought down the facebook page his parents had set up by calling him a terrorist and then proceeded to use that as proof that he was guilty. Apart from adding even more stress to an already grieving family, what would this do to the possibly depressed and suicidal boy, if he is even still alive? This leaves a very sick taste in my mouth.

www.cbc.ca...

Thought this might be relevant considering that many here are basically blaming/accusing everyone in the bombing photos/videos...except for the actual bombers, that is.

Food for thought

edit on 23-4-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

Thanks for posting this, I saw it earlier and thought it was weird, but I could not quite articulate why I thought it was weird at the time. Now I can.

What if it had been real witches? I know, but bear with me here. So then what would it have sounded like?

"Reddit Apologizes For Getting Those Witches Burned".

You know what I think? I think that Reddit should STFU; they have nothing to do with how things develop on their forums. People do; people caused things to go the way they did, and Reditt is arrogant for thinking that they had anything to do with it at all.

I also think people need to be aware that they did it, as well, and not given the opportunity to blame it on some feature, function or failing of Reddit.

It's User Generated Content

I think Reddit just jumped the shark.

P.S.

Erik Martin wrote yesterday that Reddit must learn from what happened on its site and "make sure that in the future we do everything we can to help and not hinder crisis situations."

I just wanted to add, Erik? Shut up and administrate your systems or go have a vacation, it's out of your hands.

Also, Erik, do the right thing and keep your manipulative hands and that of your staff out of the social dynamics that occur on your web site. Or just officially go to work for the DHS, your choice.

No smiley, Erik, no smiley.

edit on 23-4-2013 by Bybyots because: .

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Maybe Reddit feels (in hind sight) -that they could have edited their minions idiocy, before things got out of control?

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

Naw, man, their mods do not have a crystal ball, nor do I imagine them sitting there going, "Should we do something about this?", "Nah, # it".

It's the height of arrogance, Erik is grandstanding.

Anyway, I would take Erik's suggestion that they should do something about it in the future as a huge red flag.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
reply to post by Bybyots

Maybe Reddit feels (in hind sight) -that they could have edited their minions idiocy, before things got out of control?

They did but that isn't really the point, Reddit is all user generated material, anything and everything and especially current affairs. At the end of the day the people decide what is interesting and want to participate in debate.
When ever photographs that are in public of some horrific event you can't expect people not to debate it, anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't really understand how the internet works.
If Reddit did get heavy handed somewhere else would be the place to go.

''You can't kill an idea''

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Taggart

Hmmm I dunno about that..
Ever been 404ed? lol

Point being that if you are a moderator on a forum, you can kill any idea that you want, quite easily

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
A site that lives on user generated content is a reflection of their membership. That said, based upon his apology, and the actions which prompted his statement, it sounds like their membership is overflowing with arrogant, irresponsible, and heartless people. Membership makes any user generated content site succeed or fail.

IMO, fortunately, ATS does have more of a balance I guess. We as members keep each other in check, call out those ranting on with no basis in fact, reminding others about the T&C, and the mods are swift to assess and address any complaint with the proper amount of restraint. I've been here a long while, a long-time lurker even before signing up, and I've seen the way other similar sites have regressed into anarchy, some even have closed down.

We, the members, with assistance of the mods should keep the Reddit example in mind, or we will degenerate into an all out witch hunt, and the downfall of ATS. Just the fact that during the Watertown event, we, the members, provided a valuable service to track and document the events of the chase and eventual capture of one of the Marathon Bombing suspects. I hope this trend continues whenever needed.

But, I hope we don't need it again in this respect.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Looks like ATS isn't putting up with it either. Good on you (ATS)

We will not tolerate ATS members speculating on the complicity of people, who's only inclusion in these events are nothing more than appearing in photos or being interviewed. We're fully aware that this detestable activity is running all over the Internet, but we will not have it here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Agree 120%
Some awful threads have already been dealt with.

I'm sure some people will be screaming foul, I wonder if those same people would be accusing innocents if they or their loved ones had actually been involved in this horrific incident...

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
You know,

I see the point of having moderated forums, but placing the responsibility upon the forums and not the people using them is the same thing as asking someone to police up after us.

It just creates another opportunity for us all to go in circles for another 100 years instead of facing ourselves.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Seems like you people are jealous that your conspiracy theories are taking a back seat to reddit.

Why are you outraged that reddit tried (and failed) at figuring out who the bomber(s) were, Yet nobody cares that the new york post labled two innocent highschoolers as terrorists on their front page? They havent even apologized.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MastaShake

Great point actually. I'll tell you this though, they're taking flak for it. Believe it!

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
reply to post by Taggart

Hmmm I dunno about that..
Ever been 404ed? lol

Point being that if you are a moderator on a forum, you can kill any idea that you want, quite easily

Like I said

If Reddit did get heavy handed somewhere else would be the place to go

Hello 4Chan and others. There are many places not very moderated at all, once there is a frenzy, no mod can stop it all they can do is slow it down until it dies down.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Falsely Identified ‘Boston Bomber’ Found Dead In River

One of the individuals identified by 4chan users as a possible Boston bombing accomplice has been found dead in the Providence River. “Police in Providence pulled a man’s body from the Providence River on Tuesday, and authorities said it is “very possible” that it is Sunil Tripathi, 22, a former Brown University student who has been missing since mid-March,” reports the Boston Globe. Tripathi’s possible connection to the Boston bombing was first raised by users of the 4chan website when it was pointed out that his image bore a similarity to one of the suspects first named by the FBI who later turned out to be Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev. Users of the Reddit website later apologized to Tripathi’s family for making the erroneous connection, with one moderator writing, “We cannot begin to know what you’re going through and for that we are truly sorry.” According to Zero Hedge, the misidentification of Tripathi as one of the Boston bombing culprits means it “could be time to reevaluate the crowdsourced approach to “solving” crimes.”

www.infowars.com...

damn.. Sad ending Rest In Peace :/

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I would not be so hard on reddit, after all many many news articles hit there first and are then brought here to ATS.. I see it everyday.

The difference being... most people here research a bit more before jumping to really grand conclusions.. MOST of the time.
edit on 25-4-2013 by TwiTcHomatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

People here did the same thing... er are doing the same thing. Apologizing is the right thing to do, even though it's a user generated site it's still privately owned and the owner had the choice to allow a witch hunt or not... he allowed it and regrets it.

new topics

top topics

join