It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic rebel group is criticising new pope; ATS Catholics, what do you think?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Catholic rebel group begins criticizing new pope[

(Reuters) - A rebel Catholic group at the heart of major controversies that plagued former Pope Benedict has begun criticising his successor Pope Francis for the popular approach he has taken since his election last month.

In a letter to supporters this week, the head of the ultra- traditionalist Society of Saint Pius X (SSPX) asked whether the new pontiff's focus on serving people could be only "man-centred philanthropy" rather than true religious leadership.

What?!

Francis, the former Argentine Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, has upset many Catholic traditionalists by eschewing Vatican pomp, presenting himself as a humble servant of the poor and showing little interest in returning to centuries-old traditions.

Right. Good on him. He wants to open dialogue with other faiths, and to lessen the flagrant luxury of the Vatican in general.

But this SSPX head in South America thinks its wrong:

Soon after his election, the SSPX head for South America, Rev Christian Bouchacourt, denounced Francis's simple style as humiliating and undignified for the Church.

This is a short article from Reuters. I didn't know there was a 'rebel group' of Catholics who had been benched by the Vatican.

For them to say that Francis is "not a real Catholic" is really bizarre, I think. Everyone knows the Vatican is ostentatious and overtly glittery...
and it is obvious to the world, I thought, that they were not exactly "replicating Jesus' life and teachings" - I applaud, admire, and respect Francis' efforts to change the platform to one that actually IS altruistic in deed as well as in word. I know the church DOES, and HAS contributed to the well-being of many millions of people -

But they are indisputably VERY RICH.

Question to ATS Catholics: Do you so far "like" Pope Francis and his style? Or do you think he's "not a real Catholic"?

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Although I was raised Catholic, and for years practiced it, I have gotten away from it in recent years, so I may not be the best one to reply to this. That being said I for one enjoy his approach. Instead of the glitz he has seemed to take a more humble approach to the position. I guess that is one of the reasons why I got away from the faith, building ornate cathedrals and such always made me wonder why the money wasn't better spent on the poor. That and taking marriage counseling from a person who has never been married.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

"Traditionalists" don't care about the people. They don't care about charity, or compassion, or truly serving the purposes of our Almighty God. They only care about continuing a tradition of greed, secrecy, and closed off-ness that plagued the Roman Catholic church for decades upon decades.

When Jesus died, and the "curtains of the temple" were torn in two, it wasn't just literal, it was the symbolic representation of the opening of God to everyone. In other words: No more secrecy, no more hiding, no more esoteric traditions. The Catholic church needs to remember this. God doesn't hide in the darkness and behind doors, but that which does will be shown to the light eventually.

The RC has been needing this progressive Jesuit philosophy for a long, long time now. It was just a matter of time before it happened, and now the fundy Catholics are having a hissy fit. Don't like it? Tough cookies, go join an Anglican or Lutheran church then.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

Thanks for your response!

That and taking marriage counseling from a person who has never been married.

Ya know, just this weekend I was thinking again about this. St Augustine said that the "Trinity" was meant to reflect the love between a parent and child. The Parent (Father), the Child (Son), and the Love (Holy Spirit) that flows between them.

I am a parent of two. I can promise that NO ONE who has NOT become a parent has a CLUE how truly powerful, seemingly Divine and unconditional the LOVE of a healthy parent is for his or her child - from the moment of birth, the awe and devotion is a kind of magical thing -

So, how do Catholic nuns and priests know how to represent the real LOVE of a parent for his child?

I don't think they can. They can hear about it from others, read about it, but they can NEVER truly understand it unless they have become a parent THEMSELVES.

I agree with you about the marriage counseling as well.

edit on 23-4-2013 by wildtimes because: wow. I said no one who has become had a clue - I meant no one who has NOT become a parent. Sorry.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

The RC has been needing this progressive Jesuit philosophy for a long, long time now. It was just a matter of time before it happened, and now the fundy Catholics are having a hissy fit. Don't like it? Tough cookies, go join an Anglican or Lutheran church then.

Well, I can tell you they'd hate the Anglican/Episcopal church - which supports gay rights and gay marriage and contraception. The Lutherans I know less about (I was raised in the Episcopal church - my dad was raised Lutheran and DESPISED it's authoritarian, punitive-God attitude - my mom raised herself in the Anglican faith and left it after 50 years of being active in it.)

Lots of people vilify the Jesuits, too. Why is that? I really don't know that much about them....but I know Francis is called the "Black Pope" because he's a Jesuit.

edit on 23-4-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

The Black Pope is somebody different than the actual Pope. Francis was never put into the position of the Black Pope in the Jesuits.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

Hmmm! That's very interesting - so the Jesuits have their 'own' separate Pope?
Why then, when Francis was elected, did so many threads pop up about "We have a Black Pope"?

Just lack of awareness of what it actually means? Trying to follow all this stuff makes my head spin sometimes, but I can't seem to stop looking at it!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I don't think they completely understand how the Jesuits work. The Jesuits elect what is called a "Superior General of the Society of Jesus" which many people have applied the term "Black Pope" to, though the Jesuits don't actually use that term. The current Superior General is a man by the name of Very Reverend Adolfo Nicolas from Spain.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
For those who don't know which video colbe is referencing, here it is: Watch it and weep for the sweet babies.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by colbe

Why do you care WT? You attack Catholicism at ATS all the time, this is your thread to trash the Holy Father.

You can't.

What the XXX are you talking about!!!!??

I think he's GREAT! I wanted to know what the Catholics think of him! I think this 'rebel group' is WRONG, and DANGEROUS.

gha. colbe, you are being unreasonably defensive and ugly.

Then why the question in your thread title? Why didn't you start a thread to praise Pope Francis.

You want atheists, disbelievers and anti-Catholics to mock the Holy Father. If you love him so, why put up
a Catholic in name only group's attack?

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by colbe

No, actually, I didn't "search and find it". I attended a conference about morality over the weekend - two full days of discussion about where morals come from, and what is appropriate to teach our children. One of the speakers is the producer of this video, he showed it during his presentation, and I nearly cried.
You are totally attacking me now, colbe.

AND you are describing the video in a totally irresponsible fashion!! The video is beautifully done, and its point is absolutely right. Why do you feel you need to "kill" it, colbe? Did it make you think?

The video totally mocks the faith and Christ's sacrifice on the Cross, it is evil.

Don't turn it around, you want to get me banned. I am defending the faith. Shame on your constant attack
of the faith, Roman Catholicism.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

You want atheists, disbelievers and anti-Catholics to mock the Holy Father.
If you love him so, why put up
a Catholic in name only group's attack?

Reply to underlined bit (so as not to upset you - I know you hate "broken up" replies). Wrong again, colbe! I want the rebel Catholics to pay attention to him!!!

Response to italicized bit: How did I know they were "Catholic in name only"?!! I just learned it right then when I saw the article on CNN! I wondered what mainstream Catholics thought about this group doing this!!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

You'll get yourself banned, colbe, by attacking me that way.

I'd regret that, too, because for all our differences, I really am interested in what you think. It's pretty obvious you're too upset to listen calmly and to think about anyone else's perspective, let alone its merits. Take a deep breath, and calm down, please.

THAT VIDEO is not targeting Catholics!! It is pointing out how instilling fear of hell and teaching original sin and worthlessness is damaging to the soul of children.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join