It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did respect go?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I rarely post on this site for one main reason: THE LACK OF RESPECT! You should always respect someone else's beliefs whether you agree with them or not. You should respect someone else's opinion whether you like it or not because it is just an opinion. Funny how so many ATSers think they are the smartest person in the world, when in fact if they were as smart as they think, they would be getting papers published rather than posting disrespectful and cruel things on here.
When somebody posts their opinon or belief they are immediately attacked or insulted. NEWS FLASH!!!!! This whole site is for DISCUSSION of opinions and beliefs. If you can't discuss something without insulting someone then you aren't as smart as you think. This is getting really old. I SAY THAT IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE THEN DON'T BE PART OF THE DISCUSSION AT ALL! Done ranting because I know it will do no good.
edit on 23-4-2013 by Wanderer777 because: Add in

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wanderer777
THE LACK OF RESPECT! You should always respect someone else's beliefs whether you agree with them or not.

I respect (a person's right) to have whatever opinions or beliefs that they want to have; however I may not respect what they believe or what the opinion may be.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

THE LACK OF RESPECT! You should always respect someone else's beliefs whether you agree with them or not.

I respect (a person's right) to have whatever opinions or beliefs that they want to have; however I may not respect what they believe or what the opinion may be.

But do you go around attacking them and their beliefs/opinions? It's one thing to not agree or even like the opinion or belief, but it's a whole other to insult their intelligence or them because you do not agree with them

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I think we should have respect for the individuals who post their opinions. Perhaps that's what you mean. I don't feel compelled to respect an opinion, but do try to be respectful of the person who is stating their opinion.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

But do you go around attacking them and their beliefs/opinions? It's one thing to not agree or even like the opinion or belief, but it's a whole other to insult their intelligence or them because you do not agree with them

No I don't attack...but I do agree to disagree and I try and have a healthy debate; of course (being human) I have made my share of mistakes; but I do apologize and learn from them.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Toromos

Well very FEW respected the opinion that the Earth was round. Or that the Sun was the center of the solar system and not the Earth. You should always respect people, but you should also respect opinions because people sharing opinions back and forth is how we grow as a species

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

No I don't attack...but I do agree to disagree and I try and have a healthy debate; of course (being human) I have made my share of mistakes; but I do apologize and learn from them.

Well if more people on here would behave like this we'd get to the bottom of things a lot faster here. We can't expect to grow and figure things out if everyone is butting heads, because that way is just moving backwards

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
OP has a good point. It was only a few days ago I was talking about this. Its seems people have been conditioned with the idea that people have to earn respect - Which I don't agree with. I think you should show everybody respect from the get go, its only after the initial meet & conversations that one judges if their worthy of your respect.

Anyhow, this is the internet - its the last place I'd expect respect.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

But imagine how much better ATS would be if 90% of us got along and showed respect to one another. We'd be so much farther ahead rather than standing still for another 10 years or so

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Funny how so many ATSers think they are the smartest person in the world, when in fact if they were as smart as they think they wouldn't be here.
So you think everyone who posts on ats are morons then. Where is that respect you were talking about...?

You just rendered your own thread pointless by displaying the same behaviour you hoped to call out.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

No you just took it out of context. And I guess I didn't word too well either. I meant it as so many people on here think they are geniuses and if they were instead of writing on here wouldn't they be trying to get papers published or in high level stuff. I apologize for the confusion

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Wanderer777

I'm not sure if we're disagreeing or not, but I do disagree about respecting opinions irrespective of their probative value. If someone holds an opinion that the holocaust was a good event or that it's perfectly healthy to eat a nugget of uranium every day, I'm not going to respect that opinion. I'm not going to personally attack the person who holds that opinion. I'm not going to assume anything about who they are, their education level, or their motives for holding, posting, or defending that opinion, but I would not be shy in countering that opinion, stridently, if I felt the need.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toromos

I'm not sure if we're disagreeing or not, but I do disagree about respecting opinions irrespective of their probative value. If someone holds an opinion that the holocaust was a good event or that it's perfectly healthy to eat a nugget of uranium every day, I'm not going to respect that opinion. I'm not going to personally attack the person who holds that opinion. I'm not going to assume anything about who they are, their education level, or their motives for holding, posting, or defending that opinion, but I would not be shy in countering that opinion, stridently, if I felt the need.

I do agree with you; in my first reply I said: (and I quote myself)..."I respect (a person's right) to have whatever opinions or beliefs that they want to have; however I may not respect what they believe or what the opinion may be. "

I try to respect everyone...but there are various opinions and beliefs that I do not respect...but i respect their right to have them.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toromos

Haha well I'm sure we can all agree that eating a nugget of uranium and the holocaust was bad. But I think we agree to a point

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Forgive me if I have misinterpreted, but what I am getting from your rant is that while we may disagree with someone's stance, opinion or theory there is no reason to resort to belittling each other or acting like we are soooo enlightened as to facts or that our opinion is better than anyone else's- you know, insulting and name calling and treating folks like they're stupid or inferior. If that's what you mean I'm on board! We can disagree without resorting to childish ugliness!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Sometimes opinions and ideas are just plain stupid. There is no reason to show respect to stupidity. You have the absolute undeniable right to wear a silly hat - I have the right to point and make fun of that decision. Generally it will shake out that one or the other of us is an ass.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Forgive me if I have misinterpreted, but what I am getting from your rant is that while we may disagree with someone's stance, opinion or theory there is no reason to resort to belittling each other or acting like we are soooo enlightened as to facts or that our opinion is better than anyone else's- you know, insulting and name calling and treating folks like they're stupid or inferior. If that's what you mean I'm on board! We can disagree without resorting to childish ugliness!

Thats what I am getting at for the most part. Treat it is if we are all part of Research and Development. We are looking for a common goal, but to get there we will have to have respect and kindness to one another

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
Sometimes opinions and ideas are just plain stupid. There is no reason to show respect to stupidity. You have the absolute undeniable right to wear a silly hat - I have the right to point and make fun of that decision. Generally it will shake out that one or the other of us is an ass.

See that is the way of thinking we need to stray away from, but nonetheless I respect you

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
There isn't much respect, when people are given stars for an outright attack on some else. Just today I've read threads were people are calling each other stupid, telling them to get a life, ect.
If you don't agree with someones ideas, hey, that's fine. There is nothing wrong with a healthy debate. Why must you attack them personally, and why must others star you for it.

Wanna clean this place up? Stop encouraging that type of behavior.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
There isn't much respect, when people are given stars for an outright attack on some else. Just today I've read threads were people are calling each other stupid, telling them to get a life, ect.
If you don't agree with someones ideas, hey, that's fine. There is nothing wrong with a healthy debate. Why must you attack them personally, and why must others star you for it.

Wanna clean this place up? Stop encouraging that type of behavior.

PREACH IT SISTER!!! tHE PEOPLE HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE CHANGE SO MAKE WAY!!!
edit on 23-4-2013 by Wanderer777 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join