It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are Some End-of Civilization-As-We-Know-It Scenarios?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The second comming of Jesus. Covers all that have been mentioned so far

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I agree with the Ice Age poster.
Any one else read, Not by Fire but by Ice.
This was written in 1999 and what he said is happening as we speak.
Go to his web site www.IceAgeNow.com and read the interesting part about NASA just declaring that CO2 is the cause of global cooling!

Ah well! Always something to look forward to!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Depends...if you go the Seven Seals route...

It would be an interesting twist though, if he wasn't here to usher in the Apocalypse.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Fun fun, I actually tried writing an apocalypse book myself once. Mine was based on viral dna in the human genome. Basically, dormant viral DNA being triggered and wiping out the bulk of the population. It was when I got to the point where I'd have to start wiping out that bulk that I couldn't do it. Kind of based on this:
www.bbc.co.uk...

Haven't seen anybody do that one. Closest I can recall was Emergence by David Palmer where a biological-nuclear weapon (biowarfare) initiates a plague that wipes out just about everyone except for a portion of the population that weren't homo sapiens after all but homo post-hominem. Bizarre and interesting book if you get bored and what some summer entertainment..en.wikipedia.org...

Nibiru--already kind of been done with the film Melancholia.

Gamma rays--that's a scary one. Basically, nearby star to our solar system goes supernova and a gamma ray burst is heading our way. Gamma ray bursts are very rare but if you're thinking just apocalypse and awaiting it, could be a good one because it would feature time and uncertainty.

Starvation/depletion/overpopulation--Sheri Tepper grazed on this theme in her creation of the world called Fidipur (feed the poor) in her book called "Beauty". Monstrously bleak and terrible. Just Tepper's glimpses of Fidipur scarred me for life, lol.
Could work in colony collapse as being a factor and technology (robobees) to make it even more real but careful, that's a dark, dark, dark path for a story. Scarred. Truly.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
A pandemic. John Ringo's The Last Centurion discusses a situation in which a mini-ice age sets in in concurrence with a pandemic. The pandemic #s all sorts of # up and the mini-ice age is like the second bullet, doesn't quite wipe us out but it does have some very un-good side effects the world over, completely reshapes the political situation in the world. Great read, definitely conservative propaganda but still great.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Junkheap

Number two is close to the plot of a James Bond movie, the one with Hallie Berry I think.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

The Niribu one was kinda done in the movie Melancholia with Kirsten Dunst, where a mysterious planet approaches and 'interferes' with Earth.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
There's so much universe and time out there,
I can't help but wonder if a time travel device in another galaxy could alter what we perceive reality to be entirely.

Or the possibility of multiple time travel devices simultaneously throughout the multiverse.

Like an experiment gone out of control by much higher intelligence or multiple intelligences.

Other then that .. bacteria, micro organisms, viruses, or maybe new species of invasive plant or animal that can contend with humans for dominance of the planet.

edit; everything else was already taken

edit on 24-4-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

I'll go with the banal - let every 1st world country open up it's borders with the 3rd world countries streaming in - then let "communism" take over. No property rights, whatever "wealth" you have accumulated is gone ( with the collapsing dollar) all are dependent on the "government".

Also add in GMO food, food stamps, gun banning, water "privitazation" -- oh, I guess we're living it.

Make everyone you know a criminal of some sort. All precicious metals deemed a "currency" and confiscated by a "one world gov't".

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
1. We don't bring the twinkie back after all, and Godzilla gets super-pissed because we teased him!

2. Grey goo, already mentioned in previous post, but something stupid like that. Scary.

3. Aliens come here and punish us for subjecting the Universe to 'Real Housewives of X (Substitute 'X' for whatever poor city now has to live with that moniker!)

4. Solar Flare

5. Geodetic Procession causes the Earth to tumble.

6. Earths magnetic core cools and solidifies (Just like Mars and the Moon, it's only a matter of time)

7. Aliens come down and punish us for subjecting the Universe to 'The Voice'.

8. Super-Volcano erupts somewhere and triggers a planet wide pressure wave that 'disconnects' all the techtonic
plates, making Earth a huge, Cosmic Fondu Pot.

9. Mothra teams up with Godzilla because they didn't bring the devil dog back, and now he's pissed too!

10. We fail to master actual spaceflight like the Bible says we're supposed to, and we get stuck on a crappy planet with no more food or resources.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Wow, my friends!

I'm kinda freaked out right now...never knew there were so many ways we might meet our fate.

You really came through with some incredible ideas. Thank you all so very much!!!

smylee

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
We find out that the universe is a computer simulation...then the janitor accientally unplugs the Earth Realm simulator.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I always liked the South Park episode where Earth was a galactic Reality Show, that was about to be canceled.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

Oooo, you just gave me an idea with the GMO food. Eating GMO food creates mutants and threatens the destruction of mankind as we know it.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The end of fossil fuel. Would surely put a mark on the world poulation.
And probably lead our society right back to the stone age. There are not many individuals from our nanny state who would survive living like that. Well first you have to survive the transition down the road. Imagine 310 million people fight to survive.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I'm with the bad types of GMO foods that create mutations in the bad types of GMO food-eating people. Some kind of freakish mutations like sterility of one sex, superfast growing fetuses, or tough, silver skin

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join