What Are Some End-of Civilization-As-We-Know-It Scenarios?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Its almost summer break (one month to go!) and I've decided to spend my break writing a book (or trying to, at any rate).

I just finished reading "One Second After" about what would happen if the US was hit with an EMP strike. Currently I'm reading "Alas, Babylon" which, although dated, is still a good read.

I would like to write about an unusual type of scenario, something most people wouldn't see coming. For example, an EMP strike. I'd never heard about EMP until a couple of months ago, when I read a thread here about the dangers EMP poses. That thread led me to do my own research, and that's how I found that book "One Second After."

So I figured the best place to ask about possible scenarios would be here, in the Survival Forum. You folks have your finger on the pulse of modern disaster, so to speak, and I am positive you've thought through a lot of scenarios I've never even heard of before.

If you could just point me in the right direction, I'd be very very very grateful. You don't need to lay out a plot or story line, just mention a type of unconventional (or conventional but widely unknown) weapon and I'll take it from there.

Thanks, guys and gals! Much appreciated!!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Polar flip

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
have you heard of strangelets - possible planet destroyers

Strangelets

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
1. Tesla's earthquake machine. It would require a lot of them spread all over the earth and have them all turn on at once.

2. A lot of orbiting concealed space mirrors that unfold and focus sunlight onto the surface of the Earth.

3. Using a small spacecraft to tug an asteroid into a collision course with Earth. Have it come from a sunward trajectory making it harder to spot.

4. The "grey goo". In other words, self-replicating nanobots gone out of control.

Those were a few that I could think of.
edit on 23-4-2013 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)
edit on 23-4-2013 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObjectZero

Polar flip

Seen it. "Unternehmen Stunde Null 1986". Sorry, only available in German language.

How about you take some scenario from good old Exit Mundi.
Just stay clear of this list of already used Apocalypses.

Good luck! Give us some sample to enjoy

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The Ice Age Cometh.

Our civilization has had the summer break, it is time for the ice age. Happens over and over and over again.

Winter starts, gets a bit colder than normal ..... and then ....... spring never comes! Lasts for about five or so years the first time, you get a spring break for a few years and then it is winter again for thousands of years.

Make a great epic saga. It can just happen or a super volcano can start it.

P

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Global chain volcanic and seismic activity within the 10 scale within a 3 day time span.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Klesiella planticola. Google it, crazy stuff.
Getting zapped by a quasar.
Swallowed by a black hole.

There are so many ways it could all end. It's hard to pick just one. And the list could go on all day.

Some type of virus
Mutually assured destruction
Alien invasion
Meteor
Our multiverse bubble could pop.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Oh and the tried and true Zombies, felt bad not listing it first but didn't seem like what your where looking for.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
First one to say Nibiru! Do I win a prize?

EMP as the result of either a solar flare or nuclear weapon, is my guess. ( I love One Second After!)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
NBC's got Revolution coming back on soon. That show's all about surviving some type of world wide power failure I don't watch so I don't know what (if anything as of yet) has been identified as the culprit.

I wouldn't imagine you could get much more comprehensive than ExitMundi.nl Although I don't think they update very much if at all anymore.

Here's how I would deal with creating a story about societal destruction.

First I'd decide what kind of situation you want to put people through.

Like do you want survival to be possible or to just portray the societal breakdown from an inevitable destruction (something which I thought was done very well in "Finding a Friend for the End of The World"..

If you plan to make destruction inevitable then ya move straight to coming up with the cause but even there i think there are larger categories like going Lovecraftian and making it something we cant even fathom,some kind of fight and fail scenario with an internal or external enemy, or some kind of unexpected event)

If survival; decide how you want them to have to achieve survival (fighting an enemy, leaving the planet, experience partial destruction and rebuild, etc)

I think once you decide that then finding (or coming up with a new) an appropriate device or circumstance migvht be easier.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Well never put too much thought into it until my wife did a LOT of research into it, but GMO foods. It could change life as we know it

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
One thing I think would be worth pursuing would be well received by many here at ATS would be stretching the idea of time shifting towards the idea of Multiverse collision were people would start spontaneously shifting enough to where it becomes observable.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

How about "Water", There is a lot of water in the world but at any one time, very little is available for us to use. Most of the fresh water is locked away in ice caps, less than one percent is in the ground and about 0.3% occurs in rivers and lakes, the source we rely on most.

Recent talks of Nestle trying to privatize water. This may not be a killer for all, but could certainly reduce the population to 500 million like the Georgia Guide stones call for. California and Nevada have serious water issues also. Its a huge growing concern most people don't realize and take water for granted. Not to mention how the infrastructure of American and I would imagine many other industrialized nations is crumbling beneath our feet and contaminating waterways, sewers, and numerous other water spots. not to mention the amount of chemicals in our water to combat that problem.

I think that would be a very exciting book, numerous stories within the stories you could play out. Like how 3rd world countries go first...groups of extreme survivalists pillage towns like a mad max scenario. You sell family members and souls to get water each day and so on and so on.

In my view, Water is the most precious thing we have though its taken for granted. This is the biggest problem I see for humanity in the near future. This is a real most know issue, not political rhetoric and posturing about nuclear arms and financial stability. Without Water we die fast!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Here is the one I am working on: I am in the process of creating a bacteria that metabolizes salt. It will bind the sodium in itself and release chlorine. Once I have this I am going to release it into the ocean. When I do I will video it and post the vid on Youtube.

Then it is only a matter of time. Eventually the atmosphere will be a chlorine atmosphere. All life on Earth will die except for my bacteria.

Why would I kill the Earth? Because I can. I was meant to rule this world. But you people will not allow it. So since you do not want my leadership then deal with breathing a green deadly gas. I will be long dead of old age before everything and everywhere smells of a pool. But it will come and there will be no more trees, grass, bugs, animals or people.

You should have let me fix things. You really should have. I am serious about this. My problem right now is what can the bacteria do with the sodium?It is a very daunting task and I have had many failures. Although I have had some success forming carboxylates. Which are then metabolized and used as energy. I suspect my research will go along that route. Chemistry is fun and killing the world is hard, but I can and will do it.

You really should have let me rule you all. I do know what is best for everyone. I would have been a good ruler.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
the Slow death, of nature, and how our civilization tried to conquer and control nature, only to be shown that Nature owns us.

the Loss of pollenating bees and insects and not having enough food to feed the hungry.

Earth hits a wall of charged particles or debri not seen, and ...... the end

Methane releases so great, Earth cannot keep up with.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
1. Economic Collapse - all banks closed, all government stops, everything is in chaos.

2. Massive Sudden Global Climate Change - whether a shift in the poles or a solar flare, or something else.

3. EMP Attack - you already mentioned.

4. Nuclear War - at least for those surviving the blasts.

5. Government Takeover - martial law (whether our own or a foreign government)

6. Global Plague - some virus that has a high mortality rate (or turns folks into zombies)

I think most SHTF scenarios would fall under one of these headings.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
If you're looking for something really "out there" and more "unique" (most of those headings above have been done to death)...I'd go with this.

Time travel is invented, and time tourism has basically caused paradoxes that are eating away at the very fabric of spacetime. The struggle is a key protagonist tasked with making enough corrections to repair the damage while contesting those who would still see time travel used for exploitation.

Just a note about how you'd have to check out of the reality scenarios, to do something more original. (and there are even some existing variations of a similar theme here).
edit on 23-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Robonakka

That is diabolical.

I like it. Carry on.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Verneshot.

A verneshot (named after French author Jules Verne) is a hypothetical volcanic eruption event caused by the buildup of gas deep underneath a craton. Such an event may be forceful enough to launch an extreme amount of material from the crust and mantle into a sub-orbital trajectory.

Think South Dakota blown all the way to India. A verneshot has the potential to be the baddest of the bad volcanic events.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join