It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need a UK and Europe forum.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
And we want a mideast forum ,too.

Oops we have already

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JDmOKI

Dude you are definitely bitching, getting your knickers in a twist because the american "Me me me" culture is starting to annoy non-americans of this site. You're so engulfed in your own american views that you cant even comprehend how this site is being dragged down by members who have nothing intelligent to add to any discussion.

Notice how you immediately posted with adversity to the suggestion that there be a place on this site for those not wanting to see/discuss american culture?

Me me me me me me me me.

As Chris Rock said "I'm an Amerikan Man!!"
[video link removed]

edit on Tue Apr 23 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: 15b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums on the Websites, and will neither Post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words. Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDmOKI
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I'm not spewing American vs Europe/UK. So, if I refute that everyone in general is over opinionated on ATS and its not just the American members as most of you claim, I have nothing to say...

Yet you state

Only so much European/UK bitching about Americans i can take....

...And nobody was even bitching

Then -

Europeans piss and moan and spew their rhetoric just as much as American members....lets be honest

So yeah, you are spewing America vs Britain B/S - And you're the only person doing it. How your posts have not been censored, I do not know. This is a constructive conversation which deserves decent attention - You're bringing nothing to the table

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

I agreed with the OP about the forum. ANY OTHER GENERALIZATIONS?

/end all caps

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

You don't agree with me, fair enough. although i am still stating that non-american members annoy me just in the same way as you all complain about American members. That was the point, a very simple point yet all of you get soooooooo upset if i point out the hypocrisy. only makes me more secure in my argument.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I have put this up for staff review as I am in this thread and can't moderate it. I suggest that you discontinue the bickering. This WILL be looked at.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Maybe you are right, wooodwardjnr. And I can understand why..

Though I have to say I enjoy engaging our American cousins in discussion. I mostly like America and its culture.

My views don't generally go down well, but I don't let that discourage me, If I think I'm right.
I just try to remain polite, at all times.

We are different cultures, the U.K. And America, speaking a similar language, with a vast range of lifestyles and experiences between our two cultures.

On here, I get to discuss events with people from all over America, and a few other countries. It is fascinating.

The only thing that gets me down is the American gun obsession, but we won.'t go down that little avenue, it gets me in to trouble a lot on here....

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I've seen plenty of threads over the years involving Europe on the front page. Doesn't matter if you have your own section to post for Europe, you won't make the front page unless you get enough flags.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Well I didn't care much about Thatcher's treads but I don't think division is a good idea...I mean, it's a small step to world peace and freedom.

Also, I want to have opinions from people all around the world when I post something.

If YOU personally want to start a UK conspiracy site, go for it, you might make a little bit of money from it but we should leave ATS the most international possible. In fact, I would like to say that we don't have enough posters from Asia, middle East, Africa and south America.

I do have one other solution...

Put more threads in the New-Picks and New-Hot and/or not have repeating themselves on both sides. I would definitively go for something like that.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I am against this idea, we should not split up..
ATS should represent the pulse of the whole world
the people only looking at EU news would miss out on some important US news that could be relevant to the EU news and visa verse..

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Attention:

Even thought is is in the Rant forum, members MUST be civil and polite.
Discussion should be about the need for a UK/EU forum...not about other members or sentiments about any country.

You are responsible for your own posts.

This is the only note that will be posted before action is taken by staff.

Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Spacespider

Middle east has it's own thread and others can have while there is a necessity.

+ There are many features which can help members be in touch with other forums ,too.
edit on 23-4-2013 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I completely agree think its time we have a UK & Europe Forum.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Spacespider

The various possible meanings of the word "forum" seem to be causing confusion.
I don't think this was about splitting up the whole site- not a "new forum" in that sense.
It was more about establishing a new sub-forum,like "Political madness" or "Gulf Oil".
I've been pointing out that one already exists- Regional Politics- and that transferring it from the "Off-topic" to the "Conspiracy" bunch of threads, along with all the other "political" forums, would go a long way to meet the demand.

edit on 23-4-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Damned good idea old chum.

As I sit with my fish and chips and sipping at my tea I agree we need a forum where :

1) We can discuss the state of the weather for hours on end
2) Words like "color" and "favorite" include a letter "u" in them
3) The sport of football actually involves the using the foot to control the ball regularly in the game
4) The mention of cricket does not mean this is an Entomology thread.
5) The right side to drive on is actually the left.
6) Everyone knows how to pronounce aluminium
7) We don't need the American dream because we are awake.
8) We can moan about our TV licence and praise the BBC at the same time.
9) We can talk holidays not vacations
10) We know cells are places we put prisoners (now Australia's no longer an option) whilst mobiles are smart phones.

And we can hate the French much more than the Americans ever can whilst also loving them as well...

Seriously - I think one of the great things about ATS is that anyone who speaks English can join in and offer their perspective. Whilst we have different cultures in some respects, we are not that different. Over the past 3 decades Britain & Ireland have absorbed a lot of things from North America, Europe, "Down Under" and even Africa and Asia. Mainly due to cheaper travel, movies,global satellite TV, the internet and of course our shared language.

It is frustrating when the front page gets hogged by Boston threads like at present. I am sure a lot Americans want to read about something else as well. So perhaps more control over how many threads on the same topic appear on the front page would solve that problem.

A UK and Europe thread would be nice but if it happens then it's up to everyone to make it worthwhile with intelligent debate and regular posting. Otherwise what's the point?

One point in it's favour is that there is the case of the last Briton being held in Guantanamo Bay, Shaker Aamer which cannot be found searching on here with Samuru. He has been found not guilty but appears to be detained because:

he witnessed the torture of another detainee in an Afghan interrogation unit which led to the crucial, bogus ‘intelligence’ that sparked Britain and America’s invasion of Iraq.

Source

However even if anyone tried to post this I fear it would be buried under Boston threads at the moment. Perhaps it even has?

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageman

What a fine fellow, with ideal topics too !

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

P.s. let''s leave out the boring cricket though !

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

One point in it's favour is that there is the case of the last Briton being held in Guantanamo Bay, Shaker Aamer which cannot be found searching on here with Samuru. He has been found not guilty but appears to be detained because:

he witnessed the torture of another detainee in an Afghan interrogation unit which led to the crucial, bogus ‘intelligence’ that sparked Britain and America’s invasion of Iraq.

Blink and you'd miss it. A matter worthy of a research and its own thread.

edit on 23-4-2013 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
As I said recently on another thread on exactly the same topic I don't think there's a need for a UK / Europe specific Forum when the International Forum is fit for purpose....if only it wasn't tucked away in the 'Off-Topic' section.

The very name 'Off-Topic' puts many members off looking there and why International matters are deemed 'Off-Topic' is quite puzzling yet typical of the insular attitude of many Americans.

I enjoy non-UK members opinions and observations on UK issues - it's just the predictable 'you gave up your guns', 'we saved your asses' (the correct word is arse, an ass is a donkey!) etc type responses in totally unrelated threads that quite frankly get on my tits.
And to be perfectly honest if I feel like posting on an American issue, regardless what it is, I do so - to be fair most Americans have no problems with this, quite ironically the few who do have a problem are the very same people who constantly post the above mentioned nonsense in UK related threads.

I honestly think that having a UK / European / Rest of the World Forum would help promote insularity etc, surely the exact opposite of what we want?

If I'm being perfectly honest what we need is an increase in the overall general quality of threads and reasoned, considered, well thought out posts rather than the amount of inane crap that seems to becoming more common. (And yes I know, I'm just as guilty as many other's in posting inane crap at times).

What is becoming distracting and very off-putting - and this is certainly not directed at Americans only, it seems to be happening more and more - is the shear volume of threads on one particularly subject and related issues.
At one point yesterday of the 65 threads on Page 1 of Recent Posts 29 of them were on Boston related issues.
Now I understand how Americans feel about it, and I share some of that anger and feel nothing but sympathy for those affected, but come on.
edit on 23/4/13 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Firstly mirageman, splendid post sir!
But what is this 'cricket' of which you speak?
No matter,

While I think that a European forum would be a good idea and ATS could trial it for a while and see how it goes, at the end of the day ATS content is user driven, if you want something featured simply post it and if there is interest in the topic it will take off like a ufo out of the Vatican.

It is frustrating when a plethora of similar threads blot out the sun, but if that's what people are posting in there's not much a common or garden poster can do. When the S & F lust descends upon the mob I usually withdraw.

A corral system to gather similar threads on hot and breaking news together would be a better solution than a seperate forum for europe which would be buried under a breaking story anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join