Happy Saint George's day

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Patriotism.........

“He who joyfully marches to music rank and file has already earned my contempt. He as been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.”
― Albert Einstein

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Elvis Hendrix

To love your coutry is not a crime and doesn't make you stupid, if I followed rank nd file I wouldn' t be on ATS would I ? Let alone have such a largr collection of 404's

Thanks for the replies guys

Cody

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I really need to revisit England.

I had a great time there....everyone was so lovely and friendly. I laughed at the folks who practically stripped naked on a sunny day to soak in the sunshine...here in the South of the US we get so much sunshine that seemed funny to me.

I loved everything English except the food. I think that's an acquired taste.

I don't know what St. George's day is either, but I'm celebrating with you in spirit!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Happy St Georges Day Ats.......

William Shakespear

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead!
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard favoured rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect.
On, on you noblest English!
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof;
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought,
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument.
And you, good yeomen,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here the mettle of your pasture.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit; and upon this charge
Cry "God for Harry! England and Saint George".

(Henry V - Henry urges his men into the attack at the Siege of Harfleur)........

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

If you do Smylee give me a shout I live near London and would love to show you around and go for drink and talk about ATS. And have you meet Mrs C

Cody

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Happy St. George's day to you guys,Cody, Rod, Doc,boymonkey (hope you read that ) and everyone else over the pond.

I really didn't know muck about it until now thanks all.

BTW Rod, Billy please go to seperate corners

Rod my brotha , Billy has a pretty good sense of humor, I think he may have just made a bad joke. Please don't hold that post against him. He has cracked me up several times.

I will knock one back to you all in about 5 hours.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
Happy St. George's day to you guys,Cody, Rod, Doc,boymonkey (hope you read that ) and everyone else over the pond.

I really didn't know muck about it until now thanks all.

BTW Rod, Billy please go to seperate corners

Rod my brotha , Billy has a pretty good sense of humor, I think he may have just made a bad joke. Please don't hold that post against him. He has cracked me up several times.

I will knock one back to you all in about 5 hours.

Cheers

Thanks Rocky for your warmest wishes.

As for Billy, thanks for letting me know... Billy if you read this, no hard feelings on my behalf and my sincerest apologies to you if i didn't understand your sense of humour... a sincere virile handshake to you

Don't i feel bad now! :-(

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 23-4-2013 by Rodinus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Hi guys

I didn't think an argument would break out over such a simple sentiment

Well played Rod

For our American cousins

The History of St George’s Day

In 1222 the Council of Oxford declared April 23rd to be St George’s Day
It was not until 1348 that St George became the Patron Saint of England
In 1415, St George’s Day was declared a national feast day and holiday in England
However, after the union with Scotland at the end of the 18th Century, the tradition diminished and since has not been widely acknowledged and is no longer a national holiday
Traditional customs were to fly the St George’s flag and wear a red rose in one’s lapel
The hymn ‘Jerusalem’ was also sung on the 23rd April, or the nearest Sunday to that date, in churches across the nation

The 23 April 1616 was also the date of the death of the English playwright William Shakespeare. UNESCO marked this historic date by declaring it the International Day of the Book.

St George

St George was born to Christian parents in A.D. 270 (3rd Century) in Cappadocia, now Eastern Turkey

He moved to Palestine with his Mother and became a Roman soldier, rising to the high rank of Tribunus Militum
However, he later resigned his military post and protested against his pagan leader, the Emperor Diocletian (245-313 AD), who led Rome’s persecution of Christians

His rebellion against the Emperor resulted in his imprisonment, but even after torture he stayed true to his faith
The enraged Diocletian had St George dragged through the streets of Nicomedia, Turkey, on the 23rd of April 303 AD and had him beheaded

The Emperor’s wife was so inspired by St George’s bravery and loyalty to his religion, that she too became a Christian and was subsequently executed for her faith

St George & The Dragon

The medieval legend of St George and the dragon is over a thousand years old. The tale goes that the dragon made it’s nest by the fresh water spring near the town of Silene in Libya. When people came to collect water, they inadvertently disturbed the dragon and so offered sheep as a distraction.

After time, there were simply no sheep left to offer the dragon and so the people of Silene decided to chose a maiden from the town by drawing lots. When the results were read, it was revealed that the princess was to be the dragon’s next victim. Despite the Monarch’s protest his daughter Cleolinda was offered to the dragon...

However, at the moment of offering, a knight from the Crusades came riding by on his white stallion. St George dismounted and drew his sword, protecting himself with the sign of the cross. He fought the dragon on foot and managed to slay the beast and saved the princess. The people of Silene were exceptionally grateful and abandoned their pagan beliefs to convert to Christianity.

Why we have a Turk national that never set foot in England is simple
We're English Read our history
We took pretty much everything from abroad and made it our own.

Hope that helps

Cody

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

Thanks for that Rocky
Rod you crack me up

Cody

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor46
Happy St Georges Day Ats.......

William Shakespear

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead!
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard favoured rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect.
On, on you noblest English!
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof;
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought,
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument.
And you, good yeomen,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here the mettle of your pasture.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit; and upon this charge
Cry "God for Harry! England and Saint George".

(Henry V - Henry urges his men into the attack at the Siege of Harfleur)........

Brilliant quote Doc one of my favourite Shakespearean passages
Now that dude could write

Thanks for posting it

Cody

<< 1   >>

join