It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Saint George's day

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
To all my fellow English members a happy St George's day. Unfortunately we don't celebrate it enough and consequently I am at work and will not be able to reply very often. But I'll raise a glass to you all later.
Cody

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Have one on me please Cody (Whisky, no ice)

Happy St Georges to all and have a good day...

That Dragon got one hell of a head kicking

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 23-4-2013 by Rodinus because: Word added

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
It is said that a country is only ever as good as its people. That explains why England is the best in the world. Happy Saint George's Day to English people everywhere.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I'm going to ask for all ignorant yanks.

wth is St. George's Day?

(let me guess.....it's a reason 2 drink.)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

That explains why England is the best in the world.

Really? lets not go there again.
edit on 23-4-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by billy565
reply to post by hotel1

That explains why England is the best in the world.

Really? lets not go there again.

If you don't feel the same way about your country I feel sorry for you.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

reply to post by cody599

wth is St. George's Day?

Of course it's a reason to drink. It is the patron saint of England's day, a celebration of our great culture, English language, and using words rather than numbers when writing.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   

reply to post by hotel1

Oh but i do.

That's why i laughed at your statement. Which by the way was quite a silly statement.

All i wanted to know is why you celebrated St. George's Day but instead of getting a response to the question I recieved the typical arrogant British nonsnse.

SOOOOoooo go to hell. I'll Google it.

Which by the way is another great American invention.

edit on 23-4-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason
given)

You say my patriotic statement was silly, yet you claim to feel the same way

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   

reply to post by cody599

wth is St. George's Day?

Apparently you sir, do not know what St Georges day is either with such pertinent and intelligent remarks such as those that you have posted so far!

It would be interesting if you would share your insight about St Georges day with us without copy pasting from a Wiki site and using your brain instead of trolling out this post.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I'm not 'trolling'

It was a joke.

I was sincere when I asked why it was celebrated. I was curious what it was all about, I have no idea.

Why r u guys so defensive about this holiday? jeesh

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
It's kinda like when Marduk killed Tiamat. Well story-wise. George being a Roman soldier, and a Catholic Saint in this instance. It is thought that the dragon represents a certain type of pagan belief that included the sacrifice of human beings.

Cool holiday, figured y'all get the day off eh?

side note: How and why are folks arguing in this thread, lol. INTERNET.

hopefully it doesn't turn into a utube comment section where folks argue about abortion and religion while viewing a video of a kid lighting his hair on fire.

edit on 23-4-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Okay I looked it up and it looks like it's a mix of Easter and (American) Thanksgiving.

Am I even close? Something about a feast but I read where it's related to Easter. Dunno that's why I asked.

Sorry if I offended anybody.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

reply to post by Rodinus

I'm not 'trolling'

It was a joke.

I was sincere when I asked why it was celebrated. I was curious what it was all about, I have no idea.

Why r u guys so defensive about this holiday? jeesh

I quote you here :

"All i wanted to know is why you celebrated St. George's Day but instead of getting a response to the question I recieved the typical arrogant British nonsnse.

SOOOOoooo go to hell. I'll Google it.

Which by the way is another great American invention" End of quote

All of us who are proud of the nation where we are born and our roots, celebrate in our own different ways as i am sure that you equally celebrate certain dates in your own country, if you don't celebrate then that is your choice, but for those who do wish to celebrate and wish a "happy day" to other members, then i find it such a shame that people have to post such sadly conflictual remarks using such words as "Typical arrogant British nonsense and go to hell"

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Cricket, good manners, free healthcare, great works of literature, the worlds finest armed forces, green and pleasant pastures, tea, football, rugby, trade, commerce, acumen, railways, beer, seafaring, tradition, police that are not routinely armed, pageantry, hope and glory, once more into the breech dear friends. All this and more is the essence of our great nation, and its people.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by billy565

The following link which has been created by a school may give you a more educational insight as to what St Georges day is :

resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk...

You could check this one out too :

www.timeanddate.com...

There are 4 patron Saints in the British Isles, each with his own story to tell :

St Andrew : Scotland, 30th November

St David : Wales, 1 March

St George : England, 23rd April

St Patrick : Ireland, 17th March

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 23-4-2013 by Rodinus because: Link added

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

reply to post by cody599

wth is St. George's Day?

Sort of like st Patrick's day, without the leprechaun outfits and Guinness. Just another normal day in England. St Patrick's day has been exploited for commercial purposes.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I was visiting Cairo with my girlfriend in 2010. We visited the Coptic christian part of the town and also the place were Mary hid herself and jesus from King Herod suppoedly. The guide also told us that this was the area where the english patron saint, george lived and was killed. Apprently he was a soldier who stood up for a few christians i believe. I couldnt grasp the fact that the man had never set foot in britain or had anything to do with them what so ever. I would love to know and find out hjow St George....actually ....became the patron saint of england. At what point did the English recruit this roman mercenary that had a change of heart, to be their own guy? Its a bit like St Patrick becoming the patron saint of russia or something??!!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
And a wonderful St Georges Day to all, on this beautiful British day!
I'll set up the lawn for croquet, you get the tea on the brew, pop some biccies onto a plate, bobs your uncle, fanny's your aunt!
I must say, not being on Facebook, I imagine the Facebook racists are out in full force today.

BRITAIN FOR THE BRITS!
IF YOU WEREN'T BORN HERE, GET OUT!
etc.

All the usual tripe no-one would dare say otherwise (unless they're actually legitimate, open racists).

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Ah patriotism, the poor mans religion.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join