It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Identifying non-GMO seed crops & varieties with quickest production for Survival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
When food runs scarce, what are the best seeds to stock so as to get growing - and harvesting - as soon as possible.

I went to bed last night facing the reality that food could run short within days, yet sprouting seeds would takes days to weeks and harvest would not be for weeks to as long as several months in some crops, and as long as years in fruits and some exotic veggies (ie, bamboo shoot).

I suppose in the interim, bulk seed could keep one or a group alive, from its flour or better yet, more hydrating, sprouts.

But, what are the shortest maturation crops and/or varieties you know of, besides sprouts, flour, stored roots? I really can't think of any. i guess, radishes. And maybe some of the leafy salad greens like leaf lettuce cause can pick as they grow.

Moringa are my favorite but they take forever to grow into producing tree (pods) but apparently the leaves can be use too. I would use its powder as a sort of green protein shake

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
These questions have to do with what time of year it is, your climate (USDA zone), and so on.

Radishes are certainly among the fastest. Problem here in zone 9b-10 is there is only point in planting them from around Sept.-March. Rest of the year they go to bolt before being worth much.

Lettuces can be fast. I have at least 15 different kinds in my vault and they tend to be either short or long season. I mark the packs in a way and plant in groups based on this. Here you do things like radishes, carrots, lettuces, brassicas and the like, you plant a new set of each (based on resources vs. the group) about every 2 weeks during cool season right on through till about now. You end up with perpetual harvest that keeps flowing in. With the right space you can plant enough lettuce that theres so many young plants you can pull from them without destroying them.

The key with many is to not to completely uproot / chop them down the way you find them at the grocery. Groceies methods dictate total uprooting for the food to endure the trip and wait to peoples plates.

With things like moringa, that tends to be perennial territory in places like here. I will say that it is so fast growing I believe it could be grown as a rootcrop in northern climates and you should be able to expect a decent root harvest in a shorter season. Here its grown as the tree it is. A total perennial guide, now that is a long presentation. One I intend to make real soon detailing my food forest. I must add that perennials are the way I go for about 2 years now. About 90% of my space is now used for perennials (mostly all edible / useful), hardly mess with annuals anymore.

With odd perennials (like moringa) and other exotics the concept of GMO is irrelevant. GMO so far is mainly only to do with key commercial crop cultivars.

Finding an accurate list of GMO seeds is no easy task. There's a list that's made some websites:
www.agardenforthehouse.com...
Tere's items on there I know are supplied by heirloom only vendors, and when you click in to where that list came from they claim they don't sell GMO to the consumer garden market.

The problem is seeds aren't labelled one way or the other. And without proper lineages (which no seed vendors provide) and background information that would go with such data, genetic purity can never be ensured.
edit on 23-4-2013 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
If you're in s survival situation, you had better have tons and tons of seeds if you intend to only eat the sprouts. As a seed producer, I'd have you begin directing your energies to actually growing some of your candidates on through to seeds to see what sorts of equipment it is you'll need to process your results into clean sprouts worthy product.

Outside of dry beans I can't much see this happening, as far as what you can stock up on now, except the sorts of things you can find at the health food store (mung, flax, chia, etc). But in 'enduring survival' you will need to plant and hang on to more than you might expect for bartering.

join