It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Government Exploits Boston Bombing to Pass Bill to Limit Civil Liberties

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
"Let no crisis go to waste" (even if it is in a city in the next country) seems to be the corollary mantra to "the ends justifies the means."
edit on 24-4-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Elderlight

Just to clarify. I am Canadian. My country is in North America. Below North America is Central America and below that is South America. All of us residing in these areas are called Americans. So, let's call the folks from the United States just that. Just like we are Canada of America, they are United States of America.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Einstein? I read an article or two not long ago about him being a thief of some sort..... I don't think I would 'reference' a thief.....

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

You wrote the words right from my fingers, or took the words out of my mouth. It saddens me that there are so many ignorant people up here (Canada).

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrylss

I am in Canada.. meh I dont care... I think its a worry for those who have something to worry about, but if your like the average Canadian, we just don't really care, and good... we don't need these Shenanigans in our Country of Peace... Go hard I say...

BOOOOOO to you, my friend.

I don't understand your way of thinking. You dropping your standards like this erodes the fabric of civil society and civil liberties and makes it that little bit harder for everybody else in the world to maintain theirs - "Canadians had no problem with it, so why should you!"

Shame on you.
edit on 24-4-2013 by Archie because: BOO!

edit on 24-4-2013 by Archie because: BOOOOO

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Redfreak

I know what you mean however, it doesn't sadden me any longer like it used to. Now it infuriates me.

I cannot describe how sick and tired and enraged I am at how both my country and our neighbors to the south's have become.

How much more violation of privacy, intrusion, corruption, etc.. do we need before people start to open their god dam eyes?

WAKE THE F UP PEOPLE!

Little by little our governments are taking away everything we hold dear and so very few even notice it, much less speak up or do anything about it.
Then we have those who blindly welcome it. My god.

But whatever. At least I sleep soundly knowing that "I" am ready for whatever comes.
When the SHTF I will go into survival mode and my door will be closed to everyone who welcomed this into our lives and I will no longer feel any pity for them.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

To mobilize Canadians to do the right thing, they will require system shock. I really doubt that anything short of a Cypriot style cash grab and pension seizure will awaken the sleeping masses. You have to remember that only about 12% of the population can think critically, the other 88% will simply follow the flow of political sewage down the proverbial drain.

Cheers - Dave

Excellently put Dave!

I am ever reminded of this very fact each and every day as I look around and see the vast expanse of empty vessels that simply wallow in everything that is literally 'trivial' with blank and hollow eyes. There is a faint glitter there but sadly it is the reflecting light from their iphones.
edit on 24-4-2013 by Elemetia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yes, I can. I don't think anyone would complain if these laws were used only on real terrorists, who had real plans to cause real destruction.

It is when innocent people get caught up in the net that we have reason to be concerned. Because we realize that if it happens to one innocent person then it can happen to any one of us.

And I agreed with you that these laws were first implemented by a Liberal government.

edit on 24-4-2013 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elemetia

To mobilize Canadians to do the right thing, they will require system shock. I really doubt that anything short of a Cypriot style cash grab and pension seizure will awaken the sleeping masses. You have to remember that only about 12% of the population can think critically, the other 88% will simply follow the flow of political sewage down the proverbial drain.

Cheers - Dave

Excellently put Dave!

I am ever reminded of this very fact each and every day as I look around and see the vast expanse of empty vessels that simply wallow in everything that is literally 'trivial' with blank and hollow eyes. There is a faint glitter there but sadly it is the reflecting light from their iphones.
edit on 24-4-2013 by Elemetia because: (no reason given)

"There is a faint glitter there but sadly it is the reflecting light from their iphones." That's a good line LOL, but children will be children. It's a shame people don't really seem to mature these days until their late 30's and even then some never do, just look at Justin Trudeau or Harper, a couple of bad actors (or puppets). The government wants a consumer society for the benefit of their handlers/bankers/corporate masters, they don't want thinkers. I shouldn't be to hard on technology though, as I still design "toys" and am rolling one out in about seven weeks. However, I have no love for my android phone or my ARM Cortex emulators and TI, PIC or Intel development modules or my computers or any other "thing" as they are just tools like a fork or a wrench.

When the financial collapse comes (not if) all those people in love with their things will finally see the folly of their ways. After all, you can't eat a phone or gold or drive a car with no gas, at that point knowledge and an appreciation of those around you that you can trust will prove to be far more valuable commodities.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Yeah, not to mention all the people who unquestioningly believe in conspiracy theories. That pretty much eliminates most of the population of ever being qualified to be leaders of countries. Might as well descend into chaos and declare "Every man for himself!" and see how everyone gets along. Should be good. I'm ready.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Yeah, not to mention all the people who unquestioningly believe in conspiracy theories. That pretty much eliminates most of the population of ever being qualified to be leaders of countries. Might as well descend into chaos and declare "Every man for himself!" and see how everyone gets along. Should be good. I'm ready.

And while anarchy ensues, I am prepared as well. From my experience working with governments and military for a number of years, I kind of see the direction we're being taken and it ain't pretty. When the system goes into an apparent or staged failure through financial collapse, solar emp, war/invasion, etc. I just want to be left alone, with whatever friends and family members are smart enough to get the hell out of Dodge.

Whether this recent alleged "terror attack" was an independent action or set up by the government or their handlers (which I expect it was as I have seen this kind of behavior before), more will be coming to further their agenda. BTW, it doesn't matter who their handlers put in as a prime minister or which party, they are all controlled by the same people, so motion towards an end game will still be in the same direction. It's politics, we're dealing with narcissistic sociopaths and psychopaths that believe they are better than the rest of us and we are therefore expendable.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
What does Bill S-7 have to do with the recent attacks and attempts (Boston & Via)?

Absolutely nothing.

Bill S-7 brought to Parliament (41st, 1st Sitting): June 2....2011

Last Writing of Bill (the copy that got assent): May 31...2012

Bill S-7

This is not something that just popped up out of nowhere.

edit on 25-4-2013 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
What does Bill S-7 have to do with the recent attacks and attempts (Boston & Via)?

Absolutely nothing.

Bill S-7 brought to Parliament (41st, 1st Sitting): June 2....2011

Last Writing of Bill (the copy that got assent): May 31...2012

Bill S-7

This is not something that just popped up out of nowhere.

edit on 25-4-2013 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

Yep, you're right it was written a couple of years ago. That doesn't mean it wasn't put in place with intent, just waiting for the right moment to launch. As I said, we still don't know if the via rail alleged terror attacks were independent of, staged or promoted by government. Consider that two years ago it may have been placed in motion as part of a wish list ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Yep, you're right it was written a couple of years ago. That doesn't mean it wasn't put in place with intent, just waiting for the right moment to launch. As I said, we still don't know if the via rail alleged terror attacks were independent of, staged or promoted by government. Consider that two years ago it may have been placed in motion as part of a wish list ;-)

Cheers - Dave

Considering that it has gone through 3 Senate readings, 1 Senate committee, 3 Parliamentary readings, and 1 Parliamentary committee before getting assent...I highly doubt it was ever on 'a wish list', or that it was 'just waiting for the right moment'.

Looking at the reading and committee dates, this bill has been in continuous motion since it was tabled. And, has fulfilled all of the bureaucratic requirements along the way.

If Canadians wanted to fight this bill, it really should have been done a year or two ago...when it was publicly tabled.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I am a Canadian and have been a reader of ATS for about 3 years now. I signed up for an account just now so that I can reply in this thread in response to the people who's attitude seems to be acceptance of these draconian new laws.

The crime rate in Canada is at the lowest level it's been in about 40 years, yet spending on the police forces, judiciary and prisons is at an all time high. There has not been an act of terrorism committed in Canada since well before 9/11. Look these things up for yourself.

There is no need for these new laws, none whatsoever, other than to allow the police and other law enforcement agencies more sweeping powers they can enforce to justify their existence and spending.

Wars, terrorism, heightened security and enforcement are big business. The laws are so far reaching here in Canada right now and the compliance level is so high that the only thing left to do before .gov is forced to admit they need to cut back is to literally invent enemies and Bill S-7 paves the way for them to redefine normal everyday activities and behaviour as suspicious, making every Canadian the enemy.

For those people in this thread welcoming the new police powers, here are a few questions:

Do you own a diesel car, truck or tractor? Do you buy fertilizer for your lawn or veggie garden? You're a suspected terrorist because you have the ingredients for an IED and you can be held in custody for up to 3 days under S-7.

Have you ever visited or signed up for a website that talks about conspiracy theories or anti-corruption? You're a suspected terrorist because your views are influenced by those sites and you can be held in custody for up to 3 days under S-7.

Do you wear a backpack out in public or while you ride public transit? Do you wear it near or in .gov buildings, highway overpasses or train tracks? You're a suspected terrorist and you can be held in custody for up to 3 days under S-7.

Do you have brown skin or have friends with brown skin? They're gonna want to question you and if you don't comply, it's suspicious behaviour...

Do you question why so many Canadians are out of work yet corporations and provincial governments advertise for, give work permits to and import workers from overseas? That's racist and questions government, prepare for that police 'interview' under S-7.

Do you question the election rigging that happens here on a regular basis to keep the current defacto .gov in power? You're an enemy combatent.

And the list goes on.

Say what you will. Call me foolish, paranoid, a 'theorist', whatever, but soon after S-7 passes I won't be around to take the flack, because I can answer yes to all the questions I asked above. Oh, and to top it all off, I also hunt and own 2 legally permitted rifles.

Under Bill S-7 I'm a dead man.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Cheers - Dave

Considering that it has gone through 3 Senate readings, 1 Senate committee, 3 Parliamentary readings, and 1 Parliamentary committee before getting assent...I highly doubt it was ever on 'a wish list', or that it was 'just waiting for the right moment'.

Well at least we know that the traitors are in all levels of government.

Looking at the reading and committee dates, this bill has been in continuous motion since it was tabled. And, has fulfilled all of the bureaucratic requirements along the way.

If Canadians wanted to fight this bill, it really should have been done a year or two ago...when it was publicly tabled.

Yeah, because every Canadian has a degree in law and they make this information so accessible. Most people don't have time to research what is going on, they are too busy just trying to stay alive. They get their information generally from the glass tit and all it does is spew propaganda and garbage that the government wants us all to lap. They expect all of us to eat their BS without question and say umm umm good.

Did you know that the government put through bills that define government as domestic and foreign government, domestic and foreign institutions and/or domestic and foreign corporations that can be released any and all personal information pertaining to any Canadian citizen (read Bill C-6 which became Bill C-36). What that bill means is that some corner store in Thailand (or anywhere for that matter) that is a corporation (incorporated) can have any information they want on you, me or anyone in Canada. What a great bill eh?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Yeah, because every Canadian has a degree in law and they make this information so accessible. Most people don't have time to research what is going on, they are too busy just trying to stay alive. They get their information generally from the glass tit and all it does is spew propaganda and garbage that the government wants us all to lap. They expect all of us to eat their BS without question and say umm umm good.

Degree in law? Don't have time? Took me 30 seconds to find everything I ever wanted to know about any bill in the Canadian legal system. Our 'evil' leaders set that resource up, by the way.

As for where people get their information from...well, that is not my problem. If people want to get their information from secondary and tertiary sources, as opposed to the primary source, then they are just being lazy. It, literally, takes less time to get the direct information, from the primary source, then it does to get it from the media.

Did you know that the government put through bills that define government as domestic and foreign government, domestic and foreign institutions and/or domestic and foreign corporations that can be released any and all personal information pertaining to any Canadian citizen (read Bill C-6 which became Bill C-36). What that bill means is that some corner store in Thailand (or anywhere for that matter) that is a corporation (incorporated) can have any information they want on you, me or anyone in Canada. What a great bill eh?

You really should stop spreading so much misleading information.

Bill C-6, Royal Assent 36-2, changed Canadian law so that any corporation or person that operates in Canada, whether they are based in Canada or not, must comply with Canadian laws and codes...including the Privacy Act.

There is a reason why that bill is titled, "Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act".

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Degree in law? Don't have time? Took me 30 seconds to find everything I ever wanted to know about any bill in the Canadian legal system. Our 'evil' leaders set that resource up, by the way.

As for where people get their information from...well, that is not my problem. If people want to get their information from secondary and tertiary sources, as opposed to the primary source, then they are just being lazy. It, literally, takes less time to get the direct information, from the primary source, then it does to get it from the media.

You really should stop spreading so much misleading information.

Bill C-6, Royal Assent 36-2, changed Canadian law so that any corporation or person that operates in Canada, whether they are based in Canada or not, must comply with Canadian laws and codes...including the Privacy Act.

There is a reason why that bill is titled, "Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act".

Here's some of the actual wording from the bill;

“government” means any of the following or their institutions:

(a) the federal government;
(b) a corporation named in Schedule III to the Financial Administration Act;
(c) a provincial government or a public body established under an Act of the legislature of a province;
(d) an aboriginal government as defined in subsection 13(3) of the Access to Information Act;
(e) a government of a foreign state or of a subdivision of a foreign state; or
(f) an international organization of states.

16. The Minister may disclose confidential business information to a person or a government that carries out functions relating to the protection of human health or safety or the environment — in relation to a consumer product — without the consent of the person to whose business or affairs the information relates and without notifying that person if the person to whom or government to which the information may be disclosed agrees in writing to maintain the confidentiality of the information and to use it only for the purpose of carrying out those functions."

Of course there's a lot more, but since you know your way around these documents, I am sure you can search them out yourself ;-)

Cheers - Dave

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join