It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Government Exploits Boston Bombing to Pass Bill to Limit Civil Liberties

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Elderlight

I think you need to pay more attention to the quote you put there,"The only difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits." and ask yourself which end of that spectrum you fall under as you can rest assured that you, sir, are no genius. I'll paraphrase Ghandi here: "The greatest fools of all are those that believe themselves smarter than everyone else."

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
reply to post by boncho

Yes, these laws were enacted following 9/11 by the LIberals. They then expired having never been implemented in a single case.

If anything, the apprehension of the Boston bombers and the would be VIA Rail bombers proves that they can catch terrorists without extreme laws such as this.

You're either lying or ignorant.

he Secret Trial Five
Hassan Almrei

Almrei, a Syrian-born refugee, had been in custody since October 2001, after CSIS accused him of links to al-Qaeda. He was freed to a strict house arrest in January 2009. A federal judge then struck down the security certificate, essentially freeing Almrei in December 2009.

Adil Charkaoui

The Morocco-born permanent resident was arrested in May 2003 on suspicion of links to al-Qaeda. Two years later, he was released on tight bail restrictions. The Montrealer is a teacher and father of three.

Mohamed Harkat

An Algerian refugee living in Ottawa, where he worked as a gas station attendant, Harkat was arrested in December 2002 and held for 3 ½ years before release on bail in June 2006.

Mahmoud Jaballah

The Egyptian-born man was released from custody in 2007 after being held for six years. He was teaching at a Muslim school in Toronto when arrested in 2001 over alleged links to Egyptian terrorist group Al Jihad. It was the second time he was arrested on a security certificate. The first was in 1999, but was quashed.

Mohammad Mahjoub

Also an Egyptian, he's accused of links to al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. The Federal Court ordered his release in early 2007, nearly seven years after Mahjoub's arrest on a security certificate issued in May 2000. On March 18, 2009, however, a federal court judge returned him to custody upon Mahjoub's request, which was in protest against his "oppressive" bail conditions.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

hahahaha....that is all

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Every person who, for the purpose of enabling or facilitating an offence under this Act, knowingly harbours or conceals a person whom they know to be a person who has committed an offence under this Act, is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment

Does that mean that if I live with a person that burned a red light and I'm keeping silence that I can be guilty of a "SECURITY OF INFORMATION ACT"?

Is it just me or do bills like this always use an incomprehensible use of words that can latter be abused by the right lawyers?

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
While CA govt sees that it can not continue it's globalist wars across the planet by convincing Canadian people , it decides to do some force on them to get them to fight for the elites.

Like US did in 9/11 , they are going to put Canadian people in the pressure pot. Patriot act , 9/11 , TSA ,....

As I have observed US govt for years , the movements of the govt have taught me that US govt is going to do some particular actions after these kinds of events

1- Passing new bills and bribing more restriction on American people. Like patriot act ,TSA and gun control. So American people should be kept in fear of terrorists like popcorn in the pressure pot.

2- Blaming a country for these actions and start new invasions , like they did in Afghanistan. They will open the lid of the pot and those popcorn will pop out.

American pressure pot

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Elderlight
I do not have an issue with so-called "curbing" of my civil liberties to continue living in a safe society. Only those with something to hide will protest.

darrylss
I am in Canada.. meh I dont care... I think its a worry for those who have something to worry about, but if your like the average Canadian, we just don't really care, and good... we don't need these Shenanigans in our Country of Peace... Go hard I say...

You 2 fools disgust me!
I am ashamed to be your countrymen.

This exact attitude is the problem with the world.
I guess you failed to notice that this same attitude has put our neighbors to the south in the boat they are in now.

And now, our government puts forth this law right after Boston, and oh surprise, the same day they foil a terrorist plot? BS

yourmaker
The day this stuff starts effecting us though they'll wish they hadn't even bothered to try...

For what reason would we even wait for that day?
Are we supposed to wait until its too late?
Canada as a whole needs to stand up to this crap NOW!
Harper
and his stupid lackeys that run this country need to be shown that we won't let this crap happen here like the US did.

Makes me so mad that people like you are what makes our so called free society no longer free.

Soon we won't be able to go anywhere or do anything without getting felt up, ass fingered, body scanned, background checked, psychologically profiled, bomb sniffed and god only knows what other outlandish crap they can think up.
Half of the above is already in place, I guess as you say we should all just roll over and accept the rest.

I'll quit before I get myself banned.
Bottom line is, grow some balls Canadians!
Stand up and fight for your freedoms or you WILL have no freedoms later on. Then it will be too late.

For anyone here who thinks it a great idea to give up our freedoms, don't bother responding to this post cause I could care less what you have to say and it will be overlooked.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Sorry, I should have said they weren't used in a single case that turned out to be actual terrorism.

You are being either disingenuous, or purposely misrepresenting the effectiveness of these laws.

edit on 23-4-2013 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elderlight
"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are really incapable of forming such opinions."
Albert Einstein.

You do realize that this quote is describing you?

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I guess we didn't have to much to worry about but since Harper Oked assisting the dasterdly nato installation of al CSIS duh in Lybia blow back is probably inevitable
as one might have predicted BEFORE we helped the TERRORISTS destroy that country and start a rothschild central bank and an oil company

hey harper does trudeau scare you much ?
no?
course not... same banker backers as obama and romney eh?

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

Originally posted by Danbones
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Hi BoB
I would have thought everyone was familliar with the Ben Franklin Quote re
'those that trade security for freedom will have niether"

I would have thought that as well, but apparently Harper is fast tracking this S-7 bill based on the event with via rail today. Never waste a good crisis eh?

Cheers - Dave

I read somewhere that Harper was ALSO using the Boston bombing as justifacation for imposing these laws upon us. While I don't know if this is true yet, if it is, using the TERROR of an event like that for political gain
is the VERY DEFINITION OF TERRORIST

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Well I for one won't be letting anyone in my door without a warrant (well I am well aware if they want in, they are going to get in, but I won't be freely giving away my rights, they are going to have to take them from me)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The Canadian government don't want you to know that one of the terror suspects they were looking into along with the two they arrested, recently left the country. Big flop on their part.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Harper is Obamas puppet. Plain and simple. How is he in control until 2015!!!?

Young Trudeau can't come soon enough, I don't care if hes not qualified, anyone is better than the current NWO puppet.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Hi BoB
I would have thought everyone was familliar with the Ben Franklin Quote re
'those that trade security for freedom will have niether"

I would have thought that as well, but apparently Harper is fast tracking this S-7 bill based on the event with via rail today. Never waste a good crisis eh?

Cheers - Dave

I read somewhere that Harper was ALSO using the Boston bombing as justification for imposing these laws upon us. While I don't know if this is true yet, if it is, using the TERROR of an event like that for political gain
is the VERY DEFINITION OF TERRORIST

You are most definitely correct in that assertion, but this has been going on for a very long time. My CO used to tell me that if the same old tricks worked every time, why change? Funny that he also used to say that perfect paranoia was perfect awareness, but then he was the Chief of CI ;-)

As long as we let these @ssclowns play this game, nothing is going to change, except the players.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

I can't help but see the guillotines lined up in the not too distant future.

And yet here everyone is..............................allowing it all to happen so why would we expect differently? We are just weak, ignorant and mostly uninformed and not particularly caring whether we are informed or not. It's tragic because as usual...............we are lambs to the slaughter.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
reply to post by boncho

Sorry, I should have said they weren't used in a single case that turned out to be actual terrorism.

You are being either disingenuous, or purposely misrepresenting the effectiveness of these laws.

edit on 23-4-2013 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

Not really, you can't really backstep here and say that's what you meant:

Yes, these laws were enacted following 9/11 by the LIberals. They then expired having never been implemented in a single case.

My original comment was:

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by unknown known
reply to post by Telos

What new bill was passed in Canada?

Harper is trying to get bill S-7 passed, the new draconian measures law which can be found here;

Bill S-7

Cheers - Dave

I thought this just brought back laws the Liberals set in place after 9/11 but had since expired... No?

I have never been a fan of Harper, but a quick check on reality is nice.

I was merely pointing out that the laws were neither new, nor were they (solely) Harper's idea

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elemetia

I can't help but see the guillotines lined up in the not too distant future.

And yet here everyone is..............................allowing it all to happen so why would we expect differently? We are just weak, ignorant and mostly uninformed and not particularly caring whether we are informed or not. It's tragic because as usual...............we are lambs to the slaughter.

To mobilize Canadians to do the right thing, they will require system shock. I really doubt that anything short of a Cypriot style cash grab and pension seizure will awaken the sleeping masses. You have to remember that only about 12% of the population can think critically, the other 88% will simply follow the flow of political sewage down the proverbial drain.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I have worked in security for over 25 years. Anyone who would surrender civil rights or privacy to the police is a complete fool. They do not merit the trust. This has been proven over and over again. They will steal from you, rough you up or murder you and fix things so that they don't have to pay for it, if it suits them.

The "I trust the police" types are beyond comprehension to anyone with a security or police backround.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I'll explain this in a way that anyone with a double digit IQ can understand.

The "police" are a microcosm of society. There are many fine police officers, with outstanding integrity and respect for the law and their fellow citizens. They will go out of their way to be absolutely scrupulous in respecting the legal and civil rights of citizens and will be concerned about the image of the police and fostering trust between the police and citizens. Law enforcement depends on this.

There are also, within the police departments, sadists, thugs, infiltrators from biker gangs, the mafia and the Jamaican posses and other gangs. There are crooked cops and cops on the take. There are cops with personal agendas who use their position of authority to fulfill those agendas.

When you yield civil rights or privacy rights to the police you are yielding those rights to all the cops, good and bad.

Just recently the Chief of the Toronto Metropolitan Police Force, Bill Blair, had to issue a statement, reprimanding the force as a whole about lying in court. That speaks for itself.

Don't give up your civil rights or privacy rights to make it easier to fight international terrorism. The problem is just not that serious and is being trumped up anyway, in my opinion, for financial reasons.

Believe it or not, there are police officers like this. They are the salt of the earth and the backbone of law enforcement and a just society. Unfortunately, there are many who are not up to this standard, indeed far from it.

edit on 24-4-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Elderlight

That's right. Al Cia-da, aka Al Qaeda, are all around the globe. They're funded by the U.S. government and we as Canadians are allies of them. I guess that makes our government 'terrorists' also? Just a thought........

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join