It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanna live on Mars? Okay, but you can't come back.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by windslayer
reply to post by Wanderer777

I read something about that a few weeks ago, I can't remember the source, but it sounds amazing. It's rumoured that there will be a reality tv show to help fund the mission. So, they film you during your training, and during your time in settlement.

I'd really love to do it, but I imagine that it's close to impossible to prepare for the potential mental anguish and emotional pain you'll develop up there just from being homesick... and especially because it's a one-way ticket.

Still, it would incredible. You'd legitimately have claim to being the person who started the world!

It's disgusting what the media will do to make money. Kill some dumb people, make billions.....like i said before, its a one way trip lasting no more than a few days for anyone dumb enough to give up their life for the illusion of fame, watching people die on tv...i dont think thats even allowed?

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf

Originally posted by Wanderer777

Originally posted by AmberLeaf

Originally posted by Wanderer777
reply to post by AmberLeaf

Not necessarily true. Someone has to be smart enough to fly the ship there

We have computers to do that, people cant guide their way to mars...its too complicated. Its not a straight line, everything is moving in opposite directions.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. IMO when a manned mission is concerned they're going to put at least one pilot in there. Just in case the navigation is messed up or anything. In space anything can go wrong. Also it can't be that complicated, someone has to program the computer to fly there. So someone knows what to do because if they didn't then they wouldn't be able to tell the computer how to get there. A machine is only as smart as who created it. Except google. haha

I doubt a pilot as you call it would go, if they are intelligent enough to work out planets motions, speeds and all the rest of it, im sure they would be intelligent enough to know they are flying to their death.

Everything is constantly changing in space, there are no points of reference like here on earth. If you headed towards a star that was near mars (appeared near to mars) when you left, you would pass mars by millions of miles. The human brain cannot make calculations like a computer can, they wouldn't know if they were off course, a computer does.

Computer programs work with complicated algorithms, a computer can do far more than what it is programmed for.....if computers were limited to the intelligence of the human mind we would still be using tech from the 50s.
Thats why computers are used for so many complicated tasks. The program sets rules, it doesnt necessarily explain everything the computer does.
edit on 22-4-2013 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

Answer this if an unexpected asteroid or even meteorite comes outta no where. would you trust the computer to move out of the way. It doesn't matter how advanced are computers are they're not going to trust a project thats going to cost several billion dollars on a computer alone. But like I said before that is my opinion

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Answer this if an unexpected asteroid or even meteorite comes outta no where. would you trust the computer to move out of the way. It doesn't matter how advanced are computers are they're not going to trust a project thats going to cost several billion dollars on a computer alone. But like I said before that is my opinion

And we know what they say about opinions lol

If it came out of nowhere as you said, chances are the people would die either way. A computer can be attached to sensors which pick up incoming objects, we, rely on our eyes. Spacehips dont have 360 degree glass windows.....and given the speeds involved the human would fail in comparison to a computers speed at acquiring a target, and avoiding an incoming object.

Why do you think governments spend billions on missile defence systems? If we were better at seeing incoming objects why arent there thousands of people stood in fields looking to push a button and guide a missile to the incoming threat????? lol

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

SAIL SAIL SAIL SAIL LISA SAIL

guess you didn't get the memo about "TOP SECRECT"
but I guess an article would be suffice for such and act. who knows?

anyway I have a private fund going on right now!

Donate to the Lincoln continental, once I get a 66 rimmed out ,I will turn it into a rocket ship and whip it through the universe. Seats 8 ( 2 in the trunk)

anyway its silly , which way you wanna travel?

SAIL LISA SAIL

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Apparently only 10 people applied? Well let's make that 11. Just registered and going through the sign up process now

applicants.mars-one.com...
edit on 22-4-2013 by MystiqueAgent because: (no reason given)

Seems like it's 38 dollars. Not bad.
edit on 22-4-2013 by MystiqueAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
.... it's going to be a reality show?

this crap reaks of scamola.

The colony's budget comes in at "about $6 billion," Lansdorp said. "The $6 billion is for the first crew that goes there."

By comparison, NASA's rover Curiosity, the most advanced and biggest robot to ever traverse Mars, is a $2.5 billion mission.

Where exactly the $6 billion will go remains a mystery. Lansdorp said he didn't want to release an itemized budget because of competition.

"We will certainly not send couples," Lansdorp said.

At the news conference, Lansdorp said he'd like to go to Mars himself, but he isn't because his girlfriend won't come along.

"I have a really nice girlfriend, and she doesn't want to come with me, so I'm staying right here."

Media coverage will provide the main funding for the mission, Mars One said. Publicity is key, and the media event begins now with the casting of the astronauts.

"Not unlike the televised events of the Olympic Games, Mars One intends to maintain an ongoing, global media event, from astronaut selection to training, from liftoff to landing," it says.

Cool story, how about we put a base on the moon first, eh?

scam.
zwendel.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
When I was younger, and single, I would have jumped at the chance... I imagine there are plenty who would...no matter what the hardships involved. The first crew will be immortalized in history. What a great adventure for these folks.... I envy them, I really do.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I volunteer...

If I had the choice of going to Mars and never coming back I would jump on the chance.

I would rather die in space or on Mars than to die on Earth that way I could be at peace with myself and not playing a part in the decaying of society we see here on Earth.

I just hope they have suits that allow you to travel the surface because being trapped in some type of pod for years and years would probably get really old quickly unless you had some internet...haha

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
If I knew I was going, yes I'd take the opportunity and go, I would want to explore Mars, be the first human to be where none have been before.
It's like the great explorers and pioneers of old, put my name alongside Columbus, Magellan, etc etc
edit on 4/23/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
In my younger days, I would have jumped at the chance. I wonder what kind of communication gear they will take. Hopefully they will be able to communicate through amature radio throughout the stay, instead of just video feeds when the media wants them to. That way we can get more up to date info.
edit on 23-4-2013 by borracho because: spelling

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
8 years of training plus a fee? Na...What a hassle. Can't return?

I rather visit the Mojave desert and STILL be able to come back.

Earth>Mars.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I think sending current human beings to mars is both waste of resources and waste of Mars. It is like exporting a corrupted product.

We have corrupted this planet.

Let other ones stay the way they are.

MHO.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
A manned Mars mission is not feasible at this stage. The only type of engine that can get you there is probably a nuclear-electric engine, but it is not yet created. You can't effectively protect the crew from cosmic radiation and debris during such a long flight. With a nuclear-electric engine it could be possible to reach Mars in a few weeks, but then the next problem arises: Mars has no significant magnetosphere. And its atmosphere is as thin as the top layers of Earth's atmosphere. It is basically, a dead planet. Who wants to volunteer for a journey to a faraway graveyard in a high-tech aluminum coffin? This project seem to have no more substance than an April fool's joke.
edit on 23-4-2013 by mrkeen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrkeen
A manned Mars mission is not feasible at this stage. The only type of engine that can get you there is probably a nuclear-electric engine, but it is not yet created.

Look, they put that Curiosity rover up there, and it was 2,000lbs. Granted that's not enough to build a permanent habitat, that's a good start. Also, the mass of the craft that made it to Mars was much larger, 9,000lbs. That's respectable. And it's not nuclear. I would agree that a major effort will be required to scale it up, but it's not unfeasible.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mideast

I think sending current human beings to mars is both waste of resources and waste of Mars. It is like exporting a corrupted product.

Please return yourself to the Manufacturer.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I am not talking about weightlifting. Of course, there are means to accelerate a few containers with whatever is in them in the direction of the red planet (or any other planet for that matter), but that's it. Do you want to get there alive? Then you will need protection against heavy radiation and debris. The longer the journey the higher the risks. A nuclear-electric engine would make the flight several times shorter. Also, the reactor could provide enough electricity for life support and, possibly, magnetic particle shields. With current tech all you can hope for is an unmanned rover or probe.
edit on 23-4-2013 by mrkeen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrkeen
reply to post by buddhasystem

I am not speaking about weightlifting. Of course there are means to accelerate a few containers with whatever is in them in the direction of the red planet (or any other planet for that matter), but that's it. Do you want to get there alive? Then you need to have protection against heavy radiation and debris.

I didn't say radiation was not a problem, but I think based on current studies it's survivable if the spacecraft is properly designed, which is tricky. Still a large dose, but it's being studied. As to debris, a few unmanned missions made it OK and for those that failed, it was for reasons other then space debris.

To me a much larger problem is the very real possibility that one or a few colonists will go nuts having spent years in the confines of a small hut in the middle of nowhere. Then again, if the first batch makes it through a year or two, there may be a lot more volunteers and they will get a village. Who knows. And if all of a sudden there is at least a distant possibility of profitable mining etc, all bets are off because the greed of the human race can move planets.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join