It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanna live on Mars? Okay, but you can't come back.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Looked and didn't see anything on this yet. Thought this was quite interesting. Apparently they're taking names for a one way ticket to Mars. If you qualify you'll be trained for 8 years and will be launched and sent to Mars in 2022. So let me know what you think of this. Colossal waste of money? Or a huge leap for mankind?

www.cnn.com...

My personal opinion is that it is a waste of money, but that's just me. At least right now it is. The world is in debt to our ears so I feel there's more constructive things to spend money on. But that's the great thing about free will everyone has a different opinion
edit on 22-4-2013 by Wanderer777 because: My opinion

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Yeah, no thanks.

I'll be dead by then anyways.

I'll ask my sister if she wants to go.

Maybe I'll sign her up secretly.

edit on 22-4-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
sign me up bro... ill leave all you noobs here to rot in the hell that you call earth while I am living it up with the aliens on mars.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
sign me up bro... ill leave all you noobs here to rot in the hell that you call earth while I am living it up with the aliens on mars.

Haha did you watch the video in the article? Doesn't sound too pleasant, but more power to ya bro

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I can't imagine travelling to Mars knowing I could never come home. It's a scary thought. Surely there are some people willing to do it, but I would guess not many. It's the finality of it all that gets me. I suppose it might be classed as a waste of money - do people really need to go to Mars, ever?

Part of it seems like it's just to prove a point, that we can do it. But if we know we can do it, isn't that enough? It's much cheaper to send robots and whatever, instead of a manned mission. I think we should sort out our own planet first before we start colonizing other worlds.

There are surely more suitable earth-like planets for us to live on, instead of Mars which is hostile. In a 100 years we may be able to travel easily to other stars and find habitable planets to colonize. That's going to be more worth the time and effort than sending someone to Mars just to say 'we did it'. I dunno, I love all things to do with space and space travel. It would be great to see someone land on Mars, another achievement for humanity. But I'm not sure if it would be worth it.
edit on 22/4/2013 by Sepherynx because: typos

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater

Natural selection working its magic right here lol

You do realize, you wont even survive a week on the planet? No one will lol

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sepherynx

Yea, I think after a couple of weeks the novelty of it will wear off on those who went and they will have the cold, hard realization that they are in the middle of a desert staring at rocks.

Hate to be them when that happens.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sepherynx
I can't imagine travelling to Mars knowing I could never come home. It's a scary thought. Surely there are some people willing to do it, but I would guess not many. It's the finality of it all that gets me. I suppose it might be classed as a waste of money - do people really need to go to Mars, ever?

Part of it seems like it's just to prove a point, that we can do it. But if we know we can do it, isn't that enough? It's much cheaper to send robots and whatever, instead of a manned mission. I think we should sort out our own planet first before we start colonizing other worlds.

There are surely more suitable earth-like planets for us to live on, instead of Mars which is hostile. In a 100 years we may be able to travel easily to other stars and find habitable planets to colonize. That's going to be more worth the time and effort than sending someone to Mars just to say 'we did it'. I dunno, I love all things to do with space and space travel. It would be great to see someone land on Mars, another achievement for humanity. But I'm not sure if it would be worth it.
edit on 22/4/2013 by Sepherynx because: typos

No person in their right mind would do it, thats why its open to the gullible public to do. A few tards lost isnt a big deal, it will prove their suspicions and they wouldnt have lost any great minds

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sepherynx

You, my friend, hit the nail on the head. Earth is not too far gone to be saved. We need to worry about home for now. Going to Mars won't save anything or stop a war or even feed a starving kid on the street

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

Not necessarily true. Someone has to be smart enough to fly the ship there

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wanderer777

We have computers to do that, people cant guide their way to mars...its too complicated. Its not a straight line, everything is moving in different directions.
edit on 22-4-2013 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
For a fee nah, for free? Yes! Even though I know such a thing is not possible. I'd be all up for this and I'm probably in the minority about it :p

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf

We have computers to do that, people cant guide their way to mars...its too complicated. Its not a straight line, everything is moving in opposite directions.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. IMO when a manned mission is concerned they're going to put at least one pilot in there. Just in case the navigation is messed up or anything. In space anything can go wrong. Also it can't be that complicated, someone has to program the computer to fly there. So someone knows what to do because if they didn't then they wouldn't be able to tell the computer how to get there. A machine is only as smart as who created it. Except google. haha

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Wanderer777

I shall apply , and Im taking a different approach here:

**TOPSECRECT** Im going to take over the craft and sail that son of a________ right past mars and into the depth of this box, instead of going left or right Im going straight up, I aim to poke a hole in the ceiling.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sippy Cup

I shall apply , and Im taking a different approach here:

**TOPSECRECT** Im going to take over the craft and sail that son of a________ right past mars and into the depth of this box, instead of going left or right Im going straight up, I aim to poke a hole in the ceiling.

Well I look forward to the news article 10 years from now

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

We have computers to do that, people cant guide their way to mars...its too complicated. Its not a straight line, everything is moving in opposite directions.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. IMO when a manned mission is concerned they're going to put at least one pilot in there. Just in case the navigation is messed up or anything. In space anything can go wrong. Also it can't be that complicated, someone has to program the computer to fly there. So someone knows what to do because if they didn't then they wouldn't be able to tell the computer how to get there. A machine is only as smart as who created it. Except google. haha

I doubt a pilot as you call it would go, if they are intelligent enough to work out planets motions, speeds and all the rest of it, im sure they would be intelligent enough to know they are flying to their death.

Everything is constantly changing in space, there are no points of reference like here on earth. If you headed towards a star that was near mars (appeared near to mars) when you left, you would pass mars by millions of miles. The human brain cannot make calculations like a computer can, they wouldn't know if they were off course, a computer does.

Computer programs work with complicated algorithms, a computer can do far more than what it is programmed for.....if computers were limited to the intelligence of the human mind we would still be using tech from the 50s.
Thats why computers are used for so many complicated tasks. The program sets rules, it doesnt necessarily explain everything the computer does.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I read something about that a few weeks ago, I can't remember the source, but it sounds amazing. It's rumoured that there will be a reality tv show to help fund the mission. So, they film you during your training, and during your time in settlement.

I'd really love to do it, but I imagine that it's close to impossible to prepare for the potential mental anguish and emotional pain you'll develop up there just from being homesick... and especially because it's a one-way ticket.

Still, it would incredible. You'd legitimately have claim to being the person who started the world!

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Lets travel 34.8 million miles (closest Earth and Mars orbits have ever been) to Mars with a small crew and no habitat established.

Instead of traveling 225,622 to 252,088 miles to the moon with a small crew and no habitat established.

Which is the smarter target?

Why the fascination with a space rock millions of miles away, when we have a space rock around 140 times closer?

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I doubt a pilot as you call it would go, if they are intelligent enough to work out planets motions, speeds and all the rest of it, im sure they would be intelligent enough to know they are flying to their death.

Everything is constantly changing in space, there are no points of reference like here on earth. If you headed towards a star that was near mars (appeared near to mars) when you left, you would pass mars by millions of miles. The human brain cannot make calculations like a computer can, they wouldn't know if they were off course, a computer does.

Computer programs work with complicated algorithms, a computer can do far more than what it is programmed for.....if computers were limited to the intelligence of the human mind we would still be using tech from the 50s.
Thats why computers are used for so many complicated tasks. The program sets rules, it doesnt necessarily explain everything the computer does.

Answer this if an unexpected asteroid or even meteorite comes outta no where. would you trust the computer to move out of the way. It doesn't matter how advanced are computers are they're not going to trust a project thats going to cost several billion dollars on a computer alone. But like I said before that is my opinion

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join