It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4th Grade Science Quiz from Christian School... Ridiculous!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by apokalupsis33vital
Ok, so a friend of mine sent this to me from back home. He doesn't know the name of the school, but you can deduce that it was given out by a one-sided, religious zealot by merely looking at it:

This is just ridiculous! Do administrators, even ones at Christian schools, realize the damage that they are causing to children by teaching them such blatantly false knowledge? How is this acceptable, academically speaking; and how does this assist in preparing a student for future study? I firmly believe that ideologies that purport that all matter and existence was created in a week should not be taught in an accredited learning institution, Christian or not; it is a disservice to the students, the community, and the future of our civilization.

Sure, I can't prove that there is not a creator. Sure, there are flaws in science. But the facts of nature that have been proven observations are innumerable compared to the alternatives that exist to explain the same things, which primarily only rely on faith of a divine intervention making it so. My heart goes out to the children whom do not know any better.

Little can be said about the religious institutions that try to use variations of this quote by Neil DeGrasse Tyson to maintain their arguments, and on the surface it does seem contradictory; however, the difference is that observations of aspects of the world around us have been proven, whereas the words from the numerous "holy books" have not been proven.

A friend sent it to you from back home huh. I checked snoops and they claim it comes from a post from a atheist forum. Whats your agenda here with this post?

The image was publicized in a post to Reddit's r/atheism forum, made by a user who maintained that it was a real quiz given at a private religious school in South Carolina, and that he was shown the quiz by the student's parent and took a picture of it with his iPhone.

Source

Whats up ATS? Your all jumping in and not even checking to see of this is real or not. I think I'll wait for more info before commenting further on this.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
First, I would note that the test is literally captioned, “4th grade science quiz” with the subhead of “dinosaurs: genesis and the gospel.” To me, this is a clear sign that it’s a hoax. Why would a 4th grade quiz need to be captioned this way? Who wouldn’t know that it was a quiz? Who wouldn’t know that the grade level was 4th? The teacher? The student? The parent? And why have a section about dinosaurs and the bible that only references Genesis and the Gospels? Even if it was a bible school quiz, that doesn’t make sense.

I'm calling hoax in this, just to many things are off with it. Looked at my old tests and nothing is even close to be captioned like that.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by apokalupsis33vital

In answer to the OP about what will happen to these childrens lives...

They will never be able to think with logic or for themselves, the bibles word will rule their lives for the rest of their lives.

Many of them will get Degrees in Bible Science from Christian Universities, meaning they will never work in any real scientific or technical fields.

Many Real World employers will consider their "science educations", un-acceptable and give jobs to people who have been given proper educations.

Mostly, they will become bible group leaders and "those very annoying people you work with in general manual labour jobs", that everyone hates because they constantly preach to co-workers and try to convert them or scolding them constantly for being blasphemous...lol

edit on 4/24/2013 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

...but you can deduce that it was given out by a one-sided...

Can't we say this about science class in a public school too? There is no other theory in regards to origin taught in public schools besides macro-evolution—which hasn't been proven incidentally.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by dthwraith

Now that you mention it, this quiz is sort of suspect. I'm not a YEC, but I know what YECs say about Dinosaurs, Creation and so forth, and one thing that has never, ever come up is the meaning of sharp teeth.

The YEC would say that before the Fall even animals with sharp teeth would have eaten plants. Since the Fall they eat meat.

This quiz mentions nothing of the Gospel either, although the title of the quiz is "Genesis and the Gospel". I wonder if this person is even aware that Genesis is more than just creation? Creation is only two chapters from 50.
edit on 24/4/2013 by octotom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ironclad

They will never be able to think with logic or for themselves, the bibles word will rule their lives for the rest of their lives.

If the Bible is truly the word of God, why shouldn't we follow it? To say that a Christian who believes the Bible can't or won't think critically is ridiculous. It's because of Christians thinking critically that many are abandoning the YEC model.

Many of them will get Degrees in Bible Science from Christian Universities, meaning they will never work in any real scientific or technical fields.

There will be many that get science degrees from secular institutions as well. This is especially true outside the United States, where they don't have lots of "Christian colleges". It's not like all Christians just huddle together. I personally think it would be better for Christians to not go to Christian universities unless you want to study theology. Many Christians just subscribe to the Christian sub-culture more than anything else though and will thus visit Christian college.

Many Real World employers will consider their "science educations", un-acceptable and give jobs to people who have been given proper educations.

Many real world employers will reject people that went to secular schools. So what?

Mostly, they will become bible group leaders

Not exactly. Do you know about the situation in most churches? They are hurting for workers because no one wants to give in the church because Christianity in the west has become very ego-centric with its motto being, "What's the most I can get without giving anything back?"

and "those very annoying people you work with in general manual labour jobs", that everyone hates because they constantly preach to co-workers and try to convert them

You should appreciate that your Christian co-worker would "preach" and evangelize you. That means that the person cares for you enough to tell you how they see things, so that you don't have to spend eternity separated from God.

and try to convert them or scolding them constantly for being blasphemous...lol

That's not the right thing for the Christian to do.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
A child's mind deserves better than this. Teaching them falsely that the world isnt millions of years old is just... abusive. This is a blatant attempt to keep them as a mushroom - In the dark from the truth that surrounds them. Why not just accept that the bible has inaccuracies (Such as the age of the earth) but still teach them to have faith in "god" etc? The book is a few thousand years old for god's sake, things have been disproved by science!!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Why not just accept that the bible has inaccuracies (Such as the age of the earth)

The Bible is silent as to the age of the earth. People have just interpreted the little bit of information to reach a number.

The book is a few thousand years old for god's sake, things have been disproved by science!!

The Bible isn't a science book, so I'm not exactly sure how things could have been disproved from it.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

I'd like to think this is just a made up children's Bible coloring book, but I know it's real. Sadly, unintentionally funny, but all too real.

Glad I'm a non believer.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

To say that a Christian who believes the Bible can't or won't think critically is ridiculous. It's because of Christians thinking critically that many are abandoning the YEC model.

It's known conclusively that early indoctrination reduces the ability to think critically.

SOME Christians are abandoning the YEC model, but many, many are not - because they were infected with this nonsense at a young age, and kept isolated from the other "models". There is an entire movement called the New Apostolic Reformation active now "under the radar": aka the Seven-Mountain-Dominionists.

They are working together across a number of denominations and also active in politics. Examples are Sarah Palin, Rick Perry, and Sam Brownback. They intend to take over American and make it a Theocratic Society based on the nonsense in the OP. They work to Dominate the Seven Mountains, which are:

Business
Government
Education
Arts & Entertainment
Media
Religion
and FAMILY.

They don't have online presences as a unified crusade, but they use code words and "memes" to 'recognize each other.' They believe - REALLY BELIEVE - that they can identify which "Demon" is in charge of a person, a building, an organization, or a geographical area. They "taunt" those demons to bring them close, and then subdue them. Their thinking is completely insane and delusional.

I can't stress this enough. They are the followers of Pat Robertson and those of like-minded thinking. They WANT TO OVERTHROW this country and FORCE EVERYONE to believe in their extremist views; the want to teach EVERY CHILD this nonsense - exactly like how the extremist Islamists Muslim want to spread their Sharia Law over the entire world. Exactly like people say the Illuminati want a One World Government.

These two enemies - the Extremist Fundamentalist Christians, and the Extremist Fundamentalist Muslims, are, in my opinion, the WORST DANGERS to society on a global level that exist. And they are BOTH wrong, horribly wrong.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Caterminator
reply to post by windword

I'd like to think this is just a made up children's Bible coloring book, but I know it's real. Sadly, unintentionally funny, but all too real.

Glad I'm a non believer.

Actually, the "Beginner's Bible Coloring Book" is a farce, created by Warren Ellis. It's a satirical statement.
www.flickr.com...

Yes, it is a gag, but I cannot stress enough how un-exaggerated a gag it is. During research (it’s my illustration) I ended up dialing back the satire, there was just no need to embellish (or it was more sad and more pointy that I did not have to) I was struck by the wide array of resources that hewed to the same story (which I guess, they have to) and were willing to refute education and science at every turn. And feed it to their children.

www.warrenellis.com...

That's why I prefaced my post with "Just for kicks."

edit on 24-4-2013 by windword because: added link

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Real or not, the fact of the matter is that it is reflective of Fundamentalist dogma that is, despite many peoples best efforts, becoming a reality that is shaping and affecting the way people interact with each other.

No matter whether it comes down to a religious basis, which most often is the case, to actually reduce anyone's ability or right to think critically or broadly about a given topic in this day and age is just criminal. And sadly yes, it happens every day in classrooms across the world! Thankfully...not in all classrooms.

As an educator myself and having encountered students who have come from Christian Fundamentalist schools I am abhorred by their limited self view and total unwillingness to consider anything beyond a given principle that they have obviously been indoctrinated into at such a young age. Many seem to have lost the capacity to challenge any idea or thought in any sense of a cognitive reality.

Education, even if religiously based should foster a healthy understanding, a sharing (not indoctrination) of ideas, a freedom to challenge through cognitive thought and a healthy dose of respect as well as a goal and acceptance that the recipient is someone who can rationalise and come to a decision for themselves about any given matter. It should not be something we thrust upon our children, or anyone for that matter and tell them that this is absolute truth. All that does is perpetuate the very terrorism crisis we find the world facing in this age.

Scientists seem to believe we are the most intelligent we have ever been in our evolution. Sadly I think Fundamentalists didn't get that message.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Then these kids grow up and go on internet to defend religion......

Anyway, i wonder how many people would we okay with the quiz, that is what worries me. Oh yeah and the obvious supporters of this quiz in this thread using straw-man to connect other issue is obvious.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Having worked with some private religious schools in the past, I can honestly tell you that this kind of quiz is not that far fetched. I've seen far worse questions too.

In addition, you should see some of the applications for Bible colleges...they were pretty much cracking us up one day, as we read through them....

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Okay, guys, I'm going to launch my exposure of how kids are being indoctrinated and churches are "selling to children" who will then say to Mommy and Daddy, "I want to go to this church"...based on the playgrounds built in Megachurches, the available toys and play-sets and movies and even a "Bibleman Bible."

It will be posted in Conspiracies in Religion. I hope you all will take a peek at what is going on. It's real, and it's scary, and IT'S REALLY SCARY. In My Opinion.

EDIT:
Okay, I had it all going, then accidentally closed the tab. Have to start over. I'm going to put in Off-Topic Religion, Faith and Theology.

edit on 24-4-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Christians do ridiculous better than anyone!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
There was a time that these 7 answers on a 4th grade science test would have received the same grade of 100%

1. The human body will asphyxiate at speeds in excess of 25mph.
2. The bumble bee cannot fly.
3. It is impossible for a man to fly, because he is heavier than air.
4. It is impossible for a ship made of iron to float, because iron is heavier than water.
5. When the first atomic bomb explodes, it will set off a chain reaction that will destroy the Earth.
6. The sun revolves around the Earth.
7. The stars are fixed in the firmament.

1 hundred years ago maybe^

And this makes it alright to set our education system back to the level of the middle ages? Schools are supposed to make your children more intelligent and not purposefully miss-inform them based on religion even if the school is of christian origin, they still have a responsibility towards you and your children.

Do not be surprised if the school in the OP of which i am sure it is not the only one would nod their head in agreement that harry potter should be put to death and tell their 5 year old schoolkids that like they do in jesus camp.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It's not that big of a deal I was taught evolution in school and as an adult I have become a believer in intelligent design. There exists no evidence as of yet to support evolution yet we force feed it to our children as fact, even though doing so is in direct conflict with the rules established for scientific discovery. This test shows that the children are capable of reading, comprehending and regurgitating information, they'll decide where they stand on these issue's when they are adults as long as evolutionists continue to allow people to have freedom of belief's.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by neilarm

There exists no evidence as of yet to support evolution

Yes, there exists evidence yet...
it is only called a "theory" because that's how science describes things. But it's undeniably supported and factual as far as science has been able to show it with evidence ON THE GROUND.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by neilarm
There exists no evidence as of yet to support evolution yet we force feed it to our children as fact

Like they do with the bible?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join