It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two suspects in custody over alleged Canadian terror plot

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Two suspects in custody over alleged Canadian terror plot

news.nationalpost.com

TORONTO — Two suspects are in custody, one from Ontario and one from Quebec, following an RCMP counter-terrorism investigation in Ontario. No details have yet been released, but Toronto community leaders have been invited to a briefing. The arrests relate to a terror plot in Canada.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I posted this in Current Events forum but now we have a news article to back it up.
The Canadian officials are saying these suspects are not connected to the Boston brothers, but these two had plans to attack New York.
The FBI was working with Canada to capture these two, my question is how long have we known about the plot?

The Press release is coming in the hour.

news.nationalpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Has the whole world gone nuts?
Are we going to have to look over our shoulders when we go out
or look around when we are in a crowd?

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
According to the article, community leaders were invited to the news briefing.
It seems that these leaders are contacted before acts of terrorism are reported.
There are reports that many Muslim leaders will be in attendance.

ORONTO, April 22, 2013 – Today, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police will provide details on a National Security criminal investigation coordinated by RCMP-led Integrated National Security Enforcement Teams (INSETs) in Montreal and Toronto. RCMP-led INSETs are specialized multi-agency investigative teams comprised of employees of the RCMP, Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA), and other law enforcement and national security partners at the federal, provincial, municipal levels who investigate all national security criminal threats. Bilingual Media Relations Officers will be present. PRESS CONFERENCE DETAILS Date: April 22, 2013 Time: 15:30 hrs Location: Toronto RCMP Airport Detachment (251 Attwell Drive) Media parking: This is one level site with ample parking for media vehicles and the ability to broadcast live. -30- For further information: RCMP National Media Relations 613-843-5999

Link for above

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
oh boy. is the whole world being attacked. now all of sudden terrorist are out of hibernation and going full throttle. i guess bad times are ahead

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ShaeTheShaman

This appears to be another case of Fed / Canadian infiltration or at the least caught beforehand an not after the fact. I guess we'll get some answers soon.

I just heard that they had planned on blowing up a commuter bridge, and that they were being investigated for at least 6 months
edit on 22/4/13 by shadow watcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This was an Al Qaeda related intent, but it appears to be an infiltrated scenario and not a true threat.
If I'm hearing this right, they planned on disrupting financial economy between the two countries by blowing the train bridge connecting them.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
If Canadians were actually given a rough idea by the RCMP of how much alqeda supporting worthless human trash was let into Canada before 911 they would be staggered. This is not surprising in the least.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Just thought i would post something while i listen to the live press conference.

One of the lead investigators have indicated that the suspects were backed by Al Qaeda originating in Iran......

They are hesitant to release details but i got the feeling "Iran Did it" will be hitting the headlines.

edit on 22-4-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

They specifically stated 3 minutes ago that it was *NOT* state sponsored.

EDIT:

Even *IF* it was, it would be no surprise that the worlds largest state sponsor of terrorism was aiding two *NONE* Canadian citizens here in Canada in conspiring to commit a terrorist act. It's a real simple concept for a government to grasp, stop letting worthless human trash into a civilized society.
edit on 22-4-2013 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
reply to post by MDDoxs

They specifically stated 3 minutes ago that it was *NOT* state sponsored.

EDIT:

Even *IF* it was, it would be no surprise that the worlds largest state sponsor of terrorism was aiding two *NONE* Canadian citizens here in Canada in conspiring to commit a terrorist act. It's a real simple concept for a government to grasp, stop letting worthless human trash into a civilized society.
edit on 22-4-2013 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

I never said it was state sponsored sir, perhaps you should relax a bit. I had indicated that one of the investigators stated that the men were backed by Al Qaeda originating in Iran. If you would like me to break it down for you a bit further, that most likely means a section of the organization that is based in Iran and at not point did I indicate or infer the connection beyond the geographic location, besides my sarcastic comment at the end.
edit on 22-4-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I had to get away from the news for a bit.
Has there been any determination as to others involved in country?
They must have had some others helping them.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Canada foils 'al-Qaeda inspire' terror attack on train

this is what we are being told in Britain by the BBC

Canada foils 'al-Qaeda inspire' terror attack on train Royal Canadian Mounted Police. File photo The RCMP said "exceptional collaborative efforts" led to the suspects' arrests
Canada's authorities say they have arrested and charged two people with conspiring to carry out an "al-Qaeda inspired" attack on a passenger train.

At a news conference, the authorities said the suspects Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, and Raed Jaser, 35, were arrested in Montreal and Toronto on Monday.

They allegedly planned to derail a VIA passenger train in the greater Toronto area. It was not clear when.

The suspects will now appear in court on Tuesday for a bail hearing.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) said the surveillance operation leading to the arrests of the two suspects was "a result of extensive collaborative efforts".

They said the two men were not Canadian citizens and were supported by "al-Qaeda elements in Iran" but there was no evidence of state sponsorship.

Their plan was to derail a train and "kill and hurt people".

Chief Spt Jennifer Strachan said the two men had sought to target "a specific route, but not necessarily a specific train".

At the same time, the RCMP said they believed the plot was in the planning stage and "there was no imminent threat to the general public".

"Each and every terrorist arrest the RCMP makes sends a message and illustrates our strong resolve to root out terrorist threats and keep Canadians and our allies safe," Assistant Commissioner James Malizia said.

The RCMP also said that America's FBI agents were involved in the operation to foil the attack.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I didn't *mean* to come across as a dick, sorry if I did bro. Maybe it's my writing style...

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well GOSH GOLLY GEE.... wouldn't you know it? These two suspects were allegedly trained by Al Qaeda from IRAN.

Who didn't see this one coming..

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Were the Mayans right in a paradigm shift? Every time I look at the news whether mainstream or ATS there seems to be some type of terror plot (actually happens), alleged terror plot foiled, or generally someone just doing something that is almost in lines with terror. I feel like I should just go back to watching Cartoons or something.
edit on 22-4-2013 by MystiqueAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by grumpydaysleeper

You ask wether people should be looking over thier shoulders right now. I ask you why you were not doing this already? It is not a thing to be ashamed of, to have a healthy awareness that not everyone in the world is interested in doing good things with thier day.

There was a jewel hiest on my street last October. Because I had my eyes open when I stepped out for my tea and cig break, I was able to chase the thieves to thier getaway car, get its plates, get a look at the driver when his scarf fell from his face, and if I had been a few seconds faster, I would have been fist deep in thier faces and ended the day with a brace of scumbags to add to my satisfaction of a good days work.

The moral of the story here, is that one should ALWAYS have ones eyes peeled, one should always be prepared to act in the interests of ones countrymen, ones neighbor, ones family. One should be vigilant. These things are not the same as being scared, or being paranoid. It is called being ready, and being realistic. Fear, paranoia, these make life taste grey and utterly pointless. Readiness to act, the realism that allows one to recognise threats and react without allowing the fear to get to you first... these can sharpen the focus in which one veiws the world.

I am not special. I am not some hardcase.

However, I am one of a number. Individual, of course, but none the less, one among many. I am aware that the sort of vigilant conduct required to keep us ALL safe, needs to be an effort distributed amongst all good people. I do not believe that it is inappropriate for all of us to be partly responsible for the saftey of the whole. I believe that this is the foundation of any healthy society.

Therefore, the only thing to fear is not the spectre of explosives, of people with skewed beliefs about sacrifice and what it means for thier souls, but a lack of similar resolve amongst your fellow countrymen.

I dont know what these fellows were up to, and I have no idea how the authorities got onto these people, and of course, we only have what we are told to go on, since any and all reportage on matters terror related is pretty carefully sculpted by those who control the information at source. We are told what people want us to hear of course. But as long as all good people, all over the world, look out for one another, do what they can in thier own small way to keep thier end up, the results are going to be a marked improvement on those which come from being forced to choose between ignorance and fear.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by shadow watcher

I was just about to make a thread on this event.

news.sky.com...

Some of story:

Canadian police say they have foiled an al Qaeda-backed "terrorist plot" to attack a passenger train on a railway line between New York and Toronto.

Two people have been arrested and charged with conspiring to carry out the attack and murder people in association with a terrorist group, police revealed at a news conference in Toronto.

The suspects - Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, and Raed Jaser, 35 - had been under surveillance since August 2012.

They were allegedly planning to target and derail a Via Rail passenger train in the Toronto area, and are alleged to have received "direction and guidance" from al Qaeda "elements" in Iran.

Seems to me that a full steam ahead for these Terror cells right now.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Interesting timing if you ask me.

A controversial anti-terrorism bill is being debated in the House of Commons in an unscheduled session Monday that seems to be a response to the Boston Marathon bombings, although there is no evidence that the bombings are connected to Canada. The bill was introduced in the Senate last year, and it's suddenly in third reading in the House, with government members debating it with a sense of urgency.

One provision allowed for "preventative detention," meaning someone can be held in custody for up to three days just on suspicion of being involved in terrorism but without a charge being laid. The person can then be bound by certain probationary conditions for up to a year, and if he or she refuses, can be jailed for 12 months.

www.huffingtonpost.ca...
edit on 22-4-2013 by CinnamonHearts because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CinnamonHearts

Bills in the house usually take some time to reach third reading and may have been scheduled for debate at a later session.
It makes sense that the government would initiate a special session in response to the Boston attack as the bill in question was already in place but was due to expire.

The fact that they scheduled the debate on the same day as the police made these arrests need not be connected as the Conservative Government holds a majority and will pass this bill with or without the support of the other parties. Parliamentary procedure calls for debate, so debate happens.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join