It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian terrorism threat thwarted.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I just heard on the news that Canada had just stopped a terrorist attack that included plans to attack New York.
There will be a press release soon.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
link to article
Just did a quick search and found the above article.

Canadian police and intelligence agencies will announce later today they have thwarted a plot to carry out a major terrorist attack, arresting suspects in Ontario and Quebec, CBC News has learned. Highly placed sources tell CBC News the alleged plotters have been under surveillance for more than a year in Quebec and southern Ontario. The investigation was part of a cross-border operation involving Canadian law enforcement agencies, the FBI and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. The arrests Monday morning were co-ordinated and executed by a special joint task force of RCMP and CSIS anti-terrorism units, combined with provincial and municipal police forces in Ontario and Quebec.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by shadow watcher

Right on I just saw this also. Here's a little more info....www.cbc.ca...

Canadian police and intelligence agencies will announce later today they have thwarted a plot to carry out a major terrorist attack, arresting two suspects in Montreal and Toronto, CBC News has learned.

Law enforcement officials say the terror suspects arrested today have no connection to the two brothers accused of last week's Boston Marathon bombings.

Good job to those involved is preventing another disaster!

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Yes, apparently there will be a press conference at 3:30 est today.

Source: CBC News

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The news is claiming that the FBI and Canadian officials were working together to catch these guys.
One has to wonder how long they knew about these guys. They are also stating that these two are not affiliated with the Boston brothers.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

The CBC report states that they have been watching these two for over a year

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Here is where the press release will be held.

ORONTO, April 22, 2013 – Today, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police will provide details on a National Security criminal investigation coordinated by RCMP-led Integrated National Security Enforcement Teams (INSETs) in Montreal and Toronto. RCMP-led INSETs are specialized multi-agency investigative teams comprised of employees of the RCMP, Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA), and other law enforcement and national security partners at the federal, provincial, municipal levels who investigate all national security criminal threats. Bilingual Media Relations Officers will be present. PRESS CONFERENCE DETAILS Date: April 22, 2013 Time: 15:30 hrs Location: Toronto RCMP Airport Detachment (251 Attwell Drive) Media parking: This is one level site with ample parking for media vehicles and the ability to broadcast live. -30- For further information: RCMP National Media Relations 613-843-5999

RCMP site

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
In my opinion it's just a lark so Harper can push forward with his new BS anti terrorism bill

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

...and in other news...
House of Commons to debate new Terrorism Act, NDP questions Conservatives’ timing post-Boston attacks Link

Jeez but I hate a coincidence.

I don't call out the bust...I call out Dear Leader's timing and manipulation of the masses.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadow watcher
The news is claiming that the FBI and Canadian officials were working together to catch these guys.

That's not new. There has been a long standing agreement between the 2 gov't that allow for this. Makes it easier for both forces to cooperate and share info.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Maybe they should have just kicked in their doors in the middle of the night and quietly just shipped them off to re-education camps or just disappeared them without any public knowledge.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The news is saying that the two were planning to blow up a commuter bridge while a train was on it, but no names have been given out yet. We'll see in a few minutes what the RCMP have to offer up for details.
edit on 22/4/13 by shadow watcher because: more info

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

...and in other news...
House of Commons to debate new Terrorism Act, NDP questions Conservatives’ timing post-Boston attacks Link

Jeez but I hate a coincidence.

I don't call out the bust...I call out Dear Leader's timing and manipulation of the masses.

2 reasons I discount this. 1- We've had this before. Remember the Toronto 18? 2- Stevie is going to what he want to regardless of current event. He REALLY doesn't give a damn what we think.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Crazy days we're seeing at the moment... crazy days.

I think the UK government recently said they have thwarted a major terror attack against them on average once a year since 2001.

Glad this was thwarted.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Can't wait for Ben Affleck's film of this to come out - obviously with all reference of Canadian involvement in thwarting this plot ignored and the UK Ambassador portrayed as unwilling to co-operate.

On a more serious note; I'm no great fan of any government or security force but what is it with some people?
Do their job, monitor suspects and foil a planned terrorist attack specifically aimed at killing innocent people and they are accused of manufacturing this to enable some repressive legislation - fail to stop the planned attack and they are either incompetent or it's a false flag.

Let's just wait to hear what they have to say before even thinking about passing judgement.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
They released the names of the two men but I missed it. I'll try to find out who they are.
I'd like to know how they are tied to Al Qaeda.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadow watcher
They released the names of the two men but I missed it. I'll try to find out who they are.
I'd like to know how they are tied to Al Qaeda.
Apparently through Iran...but no indication of state sponsorship.
edit on 22-4-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Supported by Al Qaida from IRAN. That should get some hackles up ..
whoop Johnny all over it. Id imagine we're watching the same press conference
edit on 22-4-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
This could be the necessary precursor needed for Canada to accept the request from the U.S. to join the Joint Missile Defense Shield . While completely unrelated to missiles, the Iran- Al Qaeda connection is there...

Leading me to suspect this will result in an official 'Yes' to the request to join the defense shield.
edit on 22-4-2013 by topdog81 because: grammer

edit on 22-4-2013 by topdog81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

If they caught these guys prior to the need for more surveillance legislation, then why bother with new surveillance legislation?

Government always has an excuse to grab more power.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join