It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston bombing suspect won't be tried as enemy combatant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

White House: Boston bombing suspect won

www.hawaiinewsnow.com

BOSTON (RNN) – The marathon bombing suspect will not be charged as an enemy combatant, according to an official with the Obama Administration.

MORE
SLIDESHOW: Marathon bombing suspect in custody

The FBI released images of the two people they are calling suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing.
More >>
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge, MA, may be charged Monday with state and federal crimes related to the fatal bombing and subsequent manhunt. Authorities continue the work to uncover why bombs were set off at the Boston Marathon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtontimes.com
edit on 22/4/13 by TrowaBarton because: Change title

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
So why not? Is he cooperating that well with them? Is he being given special treatment? This just doesn't make any sense to me at the moment. Has he been given a deal? it says in some articles that he is to have charges levied against him as early as today? Something is rotten in Boston my friends ...... if we could only get to the bottom of it. I mean he is being tried in federal court so it is an option. Just hours ago GOP lawmakers were claiming he was such (an enemy combatant) article . I know reasoning to this will come to light and explanations will be given, in the meantime how does everyone else feel about this?

www.hawaiinewsnow.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 22/4/13 by TrowaBarton because: To add text

edit on 22/4/13 by TrowaBarton because: grammatical errors ....

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

WASHINGTON — The White House says the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing will not be tried as an enemy combatant in a military tribunal.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will be prosecuted in the federal court system.

Tsarnaev is a naturalized U.S. citizen. Carney says that under U.S. law U.S. citizens cannot be tried in military commissions. Carney says that since Sept. 11, 2001, the federal court system has been used to convict and incarcerate hundreds of terrorists.

news.cincinnati.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TrowaBarton

Why isn't he being tried as an "enemy combatant"? WHY? Really?

He's an American citizen accused of a violent crime ... we have laws to deal with this. He's entitled to every right afforded by the Constitution. Period. He has the right to a fair trial by an impartial jury of his peers. It's not the media's job to issue death sentences. It's not Reddit's job. It's not Lindsey Graham's job. It's the Court's job to establish guilt. Due process is fundamental to human freedom and dignity. We forfeit this, we forfeit our identity as an equitable Republic, as a moral land under the rule of civilized law.

It seems people are all about the Constitution until it inconveniences their blood-lust. It's absolutely devastating to see how some people are responding to this, how hastily they are willing to take life. Thank God for the Bill of Rights.

As the previous poster underlined, US citizens cannot be tried under military commissions. WHY this was ever called into question I do not know.
edit on 22-4-2013 by followtheevidence because: (no reason given)

link   
From a New York Post article Article here

WASHINGTON — The White House says the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing will not be tried as an enemy combatant in a military tribunal. White House spokesman Jay Carney said Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will be prosecuted in the federal court system. Tsarnaev is a naturalized US citizen. Carney says that under US law US citizens cannot be tried in military commissions. Carney says that since Sept. 11, 2001, the federal court system has been used to convict and incarcerate hundreds of terrorists.

link   
double post sorry
edit on 22/4/13 by TrowaBarton because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Well the reason he is not going to be tried as a enemy combatant is because clearly the Obama administration has learned its lesson for its predecessor and this guy does not fall under the Geneva Convention.

I would say there is even a good case to be made that he shouldn’t even be tried as a terrorist because under American law to be tired as a terrorist it must be proven that the attack was politically motivate and as yet no information about the motivation of the attacks has been made public. As such it is possible that he could be tired as a criminal

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by followtheevidence

Yes thank you for making this vast assumption about my bloodlust and how i want to disregard the constitution. I was merely asking why before I knew the facts and now they have been explained to me by a few other posters and you in quite an ignorant fashion. Kudos. Anything else you would like to assume about me while I'm online. Please do while I am here ..........
edit on 22/4/13 by TrowaBarton because: n/m

edit on 22/4/13 by TrowaBarton because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Regardless of how some may feel about this situation, the suspect was smart enough to get his citizenship beforehand, and that allows him the same rights as every other US citizen whether people like it or not. If they had linked him directly to a terror group or terrorist organization, then I think they could try him as an enemy combatant, but until then he is just another psycho in a long list of psychotic killers.

Lets not blur the line between citizen and terrorist anymore than it already has been.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrowaBarton

Yes thank you for making this vast assumption about my bloodlust and how i want to disregard the constitution. i was merely asking why before I knew the facts and now they have been expalined to me by a few other posters and you in quite an ignorant fashion. Kudos

I never said YOU specifically. Have you seen the responses to this? Death by hanging! Give him a slow painful death! Amputate his legs! Sorry if it seemed like I implicated you - that was not my intention. I was referring to the collective. People seem hasty to dole out lay verdicts based on very limited knowledge of the case. That was all I was trying to say.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I agree that initial charges are and should be made under these circumstances but I have a feeling that they will change in time. I apologize to all for posting without full knowledge of the laws in regards to this and I will take my flaming as I am sure its going to come

That is all

Trowa

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Here's a bit more detail to the charges(albeit very little)

Dzhokar Tsarnaev charged with conspiring to use weapon of mass destruction against persons and property in U.S. resulting in death

www.breakingnews.com...
edit on 22-4-2013 by topdog81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

You are right and I agree. I have seen quite a good bit of that around here lately and it is disturbing. Please see my post above and except my apologies

Trowa

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
This issue is being discussed here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join