Omni + Rift = True VR ,but maybe something more?

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I saw an article today about combining Virtuix's Omni with the Oculus Rift VR headset to create a true VR gaming experience.

The Omni looks a little bit like an adult-sized version of a baby walker, and stops the user running off the edge with a harness attached to a bar at waist height (which can be adjusted). And running means running, too -- the demonstration videos show people working up what looks like a real sweat. Strafing, jumping and sidestepping are also possible.

"Applications of omni-directional movement in virtual reality stretch far beyond gaming: training and simulation, fitness and exercising, virtual tourism, virtual tradeshows and events, virtual meet-ups and multi-person adventures, virtual workplaces, virtual museums, physical therapy, VR architecture, VR concerts, etc.," Virtuix states on its site. "The possibilities are limitless. Virtual reality is the future."

Source

Right away i was thinking how much fun its going to be getting hold of a system like that, not to mention how much better its going to be for fitness.

But then it struck me , the specified applications of this technology give examples of everything except the most obvious. Military! Why spend 100's of millions on Ai controlled military robots when all you need to do is use one of these things hooked up and you have a serious killing machine on your hands.

Looking at this i think we are definitely going to see less deaths from our soldiers in the future ,sadly the only people who are going to be most at risk danger of losing their lives in a conflict are going to be the general public.

How long is it going to be before this whole concept is swallowed up by DARPA?

edit on 22-4-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I think augmented reality will be even bigger.

The real reason is because it marries VR with reality and get benefits of both.

In the future we will not just see VR or websites on our computers, we will actually SEE them as they will be either cast onto our eyes or existing in them or sent directly to the brain. Everything will be augmented. In effect, the whole world around us will transform and look like a software program on our desktop. Hopefully it's not buggy, eh? Hope it comes with an off button.

In this way, we may not need as many physical objects. Pictures on our walls could be completely virtual. Turn on the augmented reality and they appear on your walls. You could even change the way that your walls look. You could create an AVR television; no need to buy a physical image emitter. In fact, physical holograms would be unnecessary. All that would be needed is for the rendering to be cast onto both eyes in the correct perspective to create the illusion of 3d.

A hybrid reality-virtual world.

This will look old fashioned (on many levels) in the future, but it gives an idea:

Kind of like how old movies depict robots destroying the world or ruling it. Not only do they look old fashioned on numerous levels, they also are overly drama/fear focused. We have many robots, but they don't rule people. Maybe people 50 years ago thought those robot movies were realistic. In the same way, I think many people nowadays would think the above youtube video is realistic.

Many people view technology through the lens of fear. The reality of this is that people fear change. They hold onto the present because it gives them feelings of security. I think that on some level we should not rush technological change because change CAN be disruptive or dangerous. However, I think that so long as we fly with our own wings, it's hard to fly too high. For example, my arms don't function well as wings. In fact, my body is not made to fly. Evenso, I can fly by jumping. I can even flap my arms. Thankfully, I don't get too high to hurt myself. Generally, nature has built-in protection like this. It acts like a thick separating substance to protect us, but it isn't a guarantee. We can work around built-in protection by creating airplanes and flying them. But even then, we have fear impulses and intelligence to warn us when we're too high. So in this way, perhaps fear works to our benefit.

And preceding this is the fact that our limited intelligence generally will prevent us from learning things that're too destabilizing. Even nuclear weapons, despite their power, are still somewhat controlled internationally via the non-proliferation policies and the whole issue of deterrence. But lets say humans had discovered a technology that could destroy the whole universe. In the very first experiment, the whole universe would be destroyed. Thankfully, we're not smart enough to create a technology of such devastating power. Ironically, our ignorance helps to protect us. Somehow, the universe is constructed in a manner that demands high intellect in exchange for high power.

Knowledge might be used interchangeably with intelligence and my point still stands. Both are constraints if they're limited and act as a thick (nearly impenetrable) barrier to entry.

Nothing is a guarantee. But built-in constraints do help us to survive. One might call it conservation of energy. The universe conserves and thus to be all mighty you must earn it.
edit on 22-4-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Oculus Rift is really an amazing piece of tech, and if it manages to deliver virtual reality for consumers it will lead to a revolution not only in entertainment industry. I can imagine military applications ranging from training to controlling drones and robots like its a part of your body.

It remains to be seen whether Virtuix Omnis will be used, or conventional omnidirectional treadmills.

exclusive video

join