It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalism for sale? It was paid well in Pakistan!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I had to put some real thought into what forum this fit into and it's recently breaking out of Pakistan, so adds to the dilemma. Ultimately I chose this one because it is general in nature and the outcome is breaking but the issue is hardly new. Lets see what reporters cost a Government to buy in Pakistan?

ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court made public on Monday a list of journalists and media-men who were allegedly paid by the information ministry through its secret fund.

The list contains itemised particulars of those expenditures for which the information ministry now does not claim privilege or secrecy.The list of disbursements, totaling up to 1.7 billion rupees, was uploaded on the SC website in accordance to the Supreme Court’s directive issued earlier during the day.The apex court had also ordered for the list to be made public on its website.

According to The Money Converter that comes to just a hair over 17 Million US Dollars. Yikes! Nice work if you can get it, eh?

Earlier last year, the court had begun its probe and sought information and froze the funds of the information ministry after the petitioners had sought a probe and requested an end to the secret funds of the information ministry.
Source

I must say I am disgusted to learn they paid these fees but also that "reporters" (Government writers, is how I'd term them) accepted them. I wonder what stories they got in return for such generous support? I'm sure no Government pays out such dough without a pretty clear understanding of what is expected in return.

It makes you wonder ...Pakistan was caught at it. That hardly suggests they are in any way unique. How much of the news we see and read is the result of bought and paid outcomes, predetermined well before the first words of the story are even written to a screen?

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Wait a minute.

You are telling me that certain journalists, even certain newspapers are saying what the government wants them to say?

And they are getting PAID FOR IT????

You just blew my mind.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

LOL.... I know, it's first of it's kind news, right?

I think what made this noteworthy was the fact it came by citizen demands for accountability on the issue...and news came from no less a source than the nation's Supreme Court over there. That does take it from the levels of "We all know it happens" to "We now *KNOW* it happens". I figured that made it worth sharing, anyway. It's confirmation on something we all pretty well suspected anyway though, that is for sure.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
At least you can say it was an "honest" transaction.....

Thats a lot of rupees.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Heh, yeah I know man, Pakistan supreme court seems to be doing a lot of good lately, oddly enough, they are even trying Musharraf for treason lol, last I heard he has an arrest warrant out for him for dodging court. Not looked into it for a while but it appears a few sensible folks have gotten themselves onto the supreme court now and seem to be rectifying at least some of the corruption there. Not sure if I will hold my breath though, the news will probably pick up on multiple car bombings of Pakistani Supreme Court Judges if there is too much change for good.

top topics

join