It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did anyone not Vote?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I can understand that roughly 30% of the electorate is unilateralist, moralist and for selfish self-interests…

I can understand that roughly 30% of the electorate is for the “commons” and multilateralism…

What I can’t understand is the 40% who stayed home…

Did 40% of ATSers stay home?
Why? And how do you feel today?

[edit on 4-11-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The wording of your post makes it seem like anyone who replies is going to get pummelled. Did you expect an honest answer?

Well let me give you one.... I stayed home. I chose not to vote because I didn't believe that any of the candidates were worthy of the Presidency of the United States. Its pretty simple. I know people say I should have voted for the lesser of the evils. I don't believe in settling for second best, especially when it comes to those who have the power to control my life and the lives of my children. Actually, I have decided to not vote until they add the choice "none of the above" to the ballots or until there is a candidate I feel is trustworthy, not seeking his own interests, and makes his decisions based on what is best for the individuals in this country, does not make decisions based on the interests of big business, and most importantly a candidate who is not under the influence of others. Since it is not likely, in our current system, that we will ever see anyone with these qualities, it isn't likely that I will ever vote again. And considering the fraud in our current system and the deplorable state of our government, I am honestly surprised that even 60% of the poulation turned out to vote. That is not to say anyone else shouldn't vote and try to make a difference that way, its just not the way I choose. I am an idealist I guess. I do hope that this system of ours gets straightened out but that would take a whole lot of effort and trust. Sadly, I think it is too late for that.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Most people I know who didn't want Bush re-elected didn't vote.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Some people seem to think that even something as simple as voting, is too much effort because the system is so huge and rediculous, that they could pretty much do anything they wanted.

I can understand this choice. The effort seems (and is) huge. This is also the reason for the "record turnout". The in the middle folks, might get a wild hair up their..., well you know, and vote because "this is the most important election of our lifetimes".

THAT is a joke.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
I can understand that roughly 30% of the electorate is unilateralist, moralist and for selfish self-interests…

I can understand that roughly 30% of the electorate is for the “commons” and multilateralism…

What I can’t understand is the 40% who stayed home…

Did 40% of ATSers stay home?
Why? And how do you feel today?

Two of my college roommate didnt vote - one doesn't pay attention to politics - the other would've voted for Kerry but he was lazy I guess. My roommate that didn't vote but hates Bush is mad that Kerry lost - but he didn't vote - I think that is pretty pathetic. Either way i voted for Badnarik - Kerry and Bush are two sides of the same coin.

I am still proud to have voted Badnarik, I knew Kerry wasn't going to win, and was not going to vote for the lesser of two evils. I vote my heart.

- Attero

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarmoniusOne
The wording of your post makes it seem like anyone who replies is going to get pummelled. Did you expect an honest answer?

Sorry for the tone in the wording it wasn't intentional. Yeah I'd like honest answers. I've refused to vote in two elections myself in the past and I had my reasons.

I'm sure people from all political and non-poilitical stripes stayed home.

Just wondering what their take is on all this election stuff and maybe what it would take for them to become active.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

Originally posted by HarmoniusOne

Sorry for the tone in the wording it wasn't intentional. Yeah I'd like honest answers. I've refused to vote in two elections myself in the past and I had my reasons.

I'm sure people from all political and non-poilitical stripes stayed home.

Just wondering what their take is on all this election stuff and maybe what it would take for them to become active.

I have the opinion that the people who do not vote should be drafted into the military. You don't have to vote for one of the big two (R or D), but just voice your opinion - and believe me all opinions are being represented in the elections except anarchism.

- Attero

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attero Auctorita

I have the opinion that the people who do not vote should be drafted into the military. You don't have to vote for one of the big two (R or D), but just voice your opinion - and believe me all opinions are being represented in the elections except anarchism.

- Attero

This would result in the worlds largest OLD military. I can see it now. Ol' sammy from down the block with the poop bag on his leg is in charge of logistics.

Fun.

But seriously, is this a realistic post at all? I mean really.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I came very close to not voting. I though of picking the lesser of the evils, but to me they both were almost equal. Then came the third parties. I research all their platforms and found them all a little to off from where I stand on most things. And that's where I almost didn't vote.

Then I reasoned my self into voting for the Green Party, not particularly because I support them, but because I want my vote to go towards the need for another option.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I have the opinion that the people who do not vote should be drafted into the military.

Hmmm...40% of the electorate is disenfranchised and your solution is to use them as cannon fodder.

Nice

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Proudly, I didn't vote. I stayed home and played a game, not even bothering to waste my time in the pathetic process...

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

- Attero

This would result in the worlds largest OLD military. I can see it now. Ol' sammy from down the block with the poop bag on his leg is in charge of logistics.

Fun.

But seriously, is this a realistic post at all? I mean really.

Well, my post was kind of rash I admit. But I really do have a problem with young voters that are politcally opinionated that do not vote (like one of my roommates - and it was just because was lazy).. And i'm enjoying some vodka, so yea...

- Attero

[edit on 3-11-2004 by Attero Auctorita]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter
Proudly, I didn't vote. I stayed home and played a game, not even bothering to waste my time in the pathetic process...

That hurts Thorfinn - you're one of my heroes from the old days of ATS.

- Attero

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I have the opinion that the people who do not vote should be drafted into the military.

Wouldn't it be more logical to have those who voted for a president who calls for a draft go first?

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   

That hurts Thorfinn - you're one of my heroes from the old days of ATS.

- Attero

I'm sorry to have lowered your view of me in your eyes, but I have no faith in our "leaders" and I just don't believe that something as large as an election can be pulled off in this country (or any other) without it being tampered with to a large extent. That is if the votes are even counted in the first place.

Haven't we learned anything from the history of government in this world? Those in power tend to do whatever it takes to benefit themselves. And they either get away with it, or are caught and deny, which then someone else, just as bad if not worse replaces them...

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by quango

Wouldn't it be more logical to have those who voted for a president who calls for a draft go first?

Yes it would be.. though it's hard to cover ones butt from all directions while a little tipsy. Thanks for catching my mistake - I totally agree.

- Attero

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I'm sorry to have lowered your view of me in your eyes, but I have no faith in our "leaders" and I just don't believe that something as large as an election can be pulled off in this country (or any other) without it being tampered with to a large extent. That is if the votes are even counted in the first place.

Haven't we learned anything from the history of government in this world? Those in power tend to do whatever it takes to benefit themselves. And they either get away with it, or are caught and deny, which then someone else, just as bad if not worse replaces them...

No big deal. You reaffirmed why you are a hero in my eyes. I agree that its not possible for an election in our country to not be tampered with.

- Attero

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Yes it would be.. though it's hard to cover ones butt from all directions while a little tipsy. Thanks for catching my mistake - I totally agree.

- Attero

No problem.

I sure do miss the days of old (wasn't actually there, mind you
) when leaders led their troops onto the field of battle.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   

We are due for a "back to basics" event to happen, otherwise a fall would do that, but who's to say what "basics" we'd have then.

We need a social revolution before that fall happens.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   

But back then they didn't require physicals to see if you have been taking drugs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join