It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Duality is Necessary for Temporal Flow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Thank you for visiting my philosophy forum, JiggerJ and StudentType. This is going to be very interesting for those of you who are aware of the multiple universe theory, and also interesting for those who are interested in how religions / closed minded people work, and also those interested in the difference between Yin and Yang.

I am not saying that we desire temporal flow or duality, simply explaining the processes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part One: Background

Drinking is bad - this is not a real statement, although it is a value, it would be more accurate to assess the situation at hand and decide whether or not one should drink on the occasion and how much based on factors such as age, who is driving, legality in the area, etc.

To say that something is "bad" without reasoning behind it is dangerous because, in a lot of cases, that binary value is actually going to end up making things worse.

In the most extreme case, there could even be a war and a lot of bloodshed breaking out between those that believe that drinking is "bad" and drinking is "necessary" (say a clan of drunken Irishmen and some kind of puritan group)

when in reality, both groups are wrong, and the choice to drink or not should not only be taken on an empirical basis,

but if there is a society of people that like to drink and a society of people that do not, there should be free movement between the two societies in order to reduce internal strife, and the two societies should respect each other's cultural differences -

The free movement and respect are both necessary. Without free movement between societies, children run the risk of being brainwashed into something they do not wish for themselves, and in extreme cases, women could end up being placed in abusive and compromising situations without a way out.

Even this extremely simple example of ONE binary value gets complicated. So you can imagine how complicated it could be with a string of say, simply eight binary values - 1010 0011 (0 is yes, 1 is no?)

Which results in a possibility of TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX different belief systems!!! Holy crap!! And that is only based on EIGHT beliefs!

With the Ten Commandments alone, we have the possibility of 1024 different belief systems, depending on which commandments one follows or not.

Part Two: Duality and Time Flow

Since we already know that thinking in binary is not as versatile as thinking situationally, why even bother with this kind of value system at all if it is just going to result in warring factions, none of which know what is going on?

The answer to that question does, actually, seem to present itself - thinking in binary appears to be much faster for doing logical calculations and also appears to allow the user of the particular mental interface to manipulate the space-time continuum and choose a future to head towards.

If you think about it, this makes sense. Considering the fact that accessing different futures in the multi-verse is dependent on choices one makes, that means that thinking in binary would be essential for goal-setting / arriving at the intended future.

Therefore, if a culture wants to be able to head in a certain direction instead of being stagnant, the binary thinking is necessary in order to have time flow.

Part Three: Transcendence and Mixed States

If you think about it in this manner, then it makes sense why Democrats are interested in sustainable energy. Sustainable energy is important in order to maintain a society where people are more independent.

(My personal belief, however, is that we should open up the possibility of accessing resources from space and teraforming planets )

As an individual, there could be two theoretical effects of thinking in duality - one of them would, of course, be aging. Accessing the timeline results in temporal flow, and therefore might cause more aging. It is a theoretical possibility that without binary thinking, one might live longer, if not forever, depending.

The other theoretical effect that results from thinking in binary is insanity and an inability to be aware of the physical reality around oneself, as well as a lowered social functionality.

This is could be highly relevant in autistic related disorders. So basically, whenever we access our human ability to manipulate the timeline, we are causing damage to both our bodies and our minds.

There is more... but I can't think of it right now. So.
edit on 22-4-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Coooool thread.

I'd love to hear more about how one might attempt to avoid thinking in binary. I know you said think situational instead of good/bad etc., but, could you give more examples to add to the drinking analogy? Maybe some not so obvious in everyday life.

Also, for those who want to age and go insane worrying about the future, I guess you might provide some counterpoints on how TO think binary. I find this all very interesting and even if you don't answer me, thanks for the thread

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Duality is a secondary effect of the condition of materiality (not strictly 1, 2, 3)...and one of the hardest states to hold in material incarnation is the concept of non-time...least of all because the condition subjects secondary effects which are palpable...they need to be dealt with - either from you, or indeed from others.
Non - duality is a state where all is absorbed as a totality (without condition)...

Enjoyed the OP, but, IMO it is (to a large extent) inescapable...not strictly necessary...

A99

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

Well I'm glad you enjoyed the OP! Yeah, I write about a lot of stuff that is not necessary to write about, imo, that is the best kind of philosophy.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

Ohh... that's a good idea. To tell the truth, this is something I actually think about! Sometimes it less stressful to think in "binary" (I mean it isn't totally binary thinking, just somewhat) and uses less mental energy, as well as can be more fun, and has some other benefits.

It is also harder to do with all of the distractions in today's society (like IM, text messages, etc.) which would theoretically have the effect of keeping one from thinking in binary if they were interrupted enough because it would disrupt time flow. Interesting how that works in reverse, right?

I'll have to think about that.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

Well I'm glad you enjoyed the OP! Yeah, I write about a lot of stuff that is not necessary to write about, imo, that is the best kind of philosophy.

Sorry...I meant, that duality is not necessary, but exists as 'conditional', and therefore (to all intents and purposes) inescapable under these conditions...

Cheers

A99

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Nice thread!!! I've actually been spending a couple of weeks musing on the nature of Duality. Yes, Duality is necessary for temporal flow. For something to "flow" it must have a place from where it's flowing and a place to which it flows - the flow must have two points in itself to which it can relate. Otherwise there wouldn't be any flow.

As you say, it's very dangerous to stick to one strict belief. We should strive to have such an open mind as possible. A closed mindset will always be the cause of suffering. The world, and the situations we are in, are ever-changing. This is not something scary (hence why people are close-minded) but something beautiful.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99

Originally posted by darkbake

Sorry...I meant, that duality is not necessary, but exists as 'conditional', and therefore (to all intents and purposes) inescapable under these conditions...

Cheers

A99

Duality is very inescapable under the conditions of patriarchy, in general, because the societies in this case are set up in order to make it impossible to receive the resources you need (such as education, food, water, shelter, friends) unless you follow the strict and arbitrary rules set up by the particular society.

Since resources are being denied when certain actions are made, this actually can trick your brain into thinking that what you are doing is unhealthy, when in reality, healthy decisions are made through learning from your mistakes and such.

In general, people are going to make healthy decisions if they are allowed the freedom to think beyond the boundaries set up by some societies.

In addition, when you are completely immersed in a certain society (like I am in conservative Idaho atm) it is hard to realize this, but there are actually other societies out there where it is okay to be more open-minded! And those societies function better!

Another trick of duality is this hypnotic delusion where the person under its influence actually believes that everyone thinks the same, or that there is no society besides the one they live in, or they have trouble connecting to people from other societies or who are open-minded because they really have been brainwashed.

I'm still not sure what you are saying, though - could you explain it? I think I might be missing something and that sentence sounds like it holds a lot of information.
edit on 24-4-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join