It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

****** amazon!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I received my FIFTH replacement kindle ( through no fault of my own, google kindle screen problems, you'll see what i mean) and the screens broke already, i haven't even removed the protective wrapper!.

So i contacted the live chat team to get a return/replacement sorted out ( as ******* usual) every time, they just take my details send off a replacement via next day delivery and every things fine till the replacement inevitably breaks, but today? oh no, i was told that the live team couldn't help me and that i had to be transferred to the kindle department which then took about 30 minutes. I was then told that the kindle team couldn't help me and that i had to phone them. i explained that i don't own a mobile or a land line for personal reasons and due to heavy vandalism in my area, the nearest payphone that MIGHT be working in my area is about 4 miles away and I'm not walking 4 miles in the wind and rain to get put on hold and fix something they've always been able to do in less than 5 minutes via the internet. They then started getting shirty with me, saying that there was phone numbers on the account. I told them that amazon made you put in a contact number when you made the account so i used my old numbers that are long since disconnected, i went through this process with about 5 different "advisors" before losing the plot and rage quit the live chat.

So I've made them close the damned account and told them if they ever contact me again in anyway shape or form, I'll go after them for harassment.

But seriously, what the hell is the deal with these godforsaken Kindles? the amount of problems people have with them is unreal, even just updating the software via its 3g can turn it into a coaster. Thank christ amazon don't sell cars, they'd probably crash 75% of the time.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ShaithisFerenczy

You don't have a cellphone or nothing ? That's really weird that all you have or are interested in , is a Kindle. What do you do if you have an emergency ? How do you talk to family and friends ? Online ? You do all of your communicating via chat ? That doesn't make any sense. Anyway, why don't you just wait till the weather get's better and go to a store and trade in your Kindle there ?

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

When I was young we used kindling to light fires.

They might still use it these days, if people remember how.

Have you tried setting it on fire? It could still have a use yet!

Amazon. Up the creek without a paddle. I feel sorry for you having to have dealt with them, but it's a well known fact that amazon are a bunch of (insert expletives) and will shaft you as soon as take your money.

Oh, if they've closed your account after your interaction, you may find that any purchases you had with them, are gone. They keep everything they sell you, and you only get the purchase rights to use it.

you can google the number of people who don't realise that... scary company. make google look like freedom fighters.

-- try this for light reading

You dont own your kindle books
edit on 22-4-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

to me they're waste of money lol anyone i want to get hold of, i can get them online and for work, iv got a special pager.beepery thing got a pc and laptop as well, just found the kindle easier for reading my zombie books on
. cant trade in either of the broken kindles they've lumbered me with as the screens are completely humped

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

well im 24 and uptil a couple of years ago, we used to go camping twice a week, first task upon arrive was to gather stuff for kindling :p

if you mean they keep all the ebooks they've sold me, they're s*** outta luck on that one, never bought a single ebook off them got them all from another "source"

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I know I found a way to get the actual book out of another drm content, and I would rather spend time reformatting it into a book (reading it as I go) than spend money on a book that goes to a company with such a policy as amazon.

I mean, I walk into a book store and I pay for a book, no problem. But I keep that book, I can sell it on or give it to my dog if I so choose.

But no way would I pay the same amount for an ebook that I could lose at the whim of some schmuck at amazon, who then refuse to even explain their decision.

I tried to sign up for their turk-amazon worker deal thingo a few years ago. "Sorry but you have been denied." I asked why. No reply. Felt as if I had breached some contractual agreement and was expelled. But that's before I'd even tried.

Then I looked into it, and saw case after case of amazon acting like some nazi authority who have the final say, and it became clear I would spend every effort avoiding becoming engulfed in their services.

I'm a physical book bloke still, I don't read many books. I said that once in IRC and was asked why I don't start with easier books. Is it that odd that I don't read books? It's not that I can't read, as the IRC guy was implying. haha.

But the few I do have, I've sourced from means other than a book store.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
What ever happened to just buying books? Paper and ink isn't prone to screen damage, software issues and they don't melt your eyeballs out their sockets after an hour. I don't understand why people are so quick to over complicate things with new technology.
edit on 22/4/13 by CyningSaeward because: typo

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CyningSaeward
What ever happened to just buying books? Paper and ink isn't prone to screen damage, software issues and they don't melt your eyeballs out their sockets after an hour. I don't understand why people are so quick to over complicate things with new technology.
edit on 22/4/13 by CyningSaeward because: typo

Yeah but if you get water on your paper back, it's ruined.

That doesn't happen with an electr.. oh wait..

oO

lol

It's just technology, inevitably things will cater to a gadget. it has it's benefits and it's drawbacks. The biggest drawback in my opinion, is kids who can't even peel bananas or throw a ball.

We had that in the newspaper (actual paper version) recently, and it dawned on me that we're turning into the very things we laughed about in the movie Idiocracy.

It's become real...

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Get a Kobo if you must have an e-reader. I've had no problems with mine and neither has my sister (and she abuses hers - it's been slobbered on by the dog, had muddy paw prints on it at one time, been read in the bath and been dropped and tossed around in a handbag and still works a year later).

I still prefer paper books though.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I've never had an issue with Amazon, perhaps they were suspicious that you've had so many Kindles but they're all "broken". (Not saying they're not, but emphasis from their perspective).
So they just appear broken? That is weird.
Whats weirder I think, is that you don't even own a mobile phone. I have a Nokia something or other. It's about a million light years old, all it does is call and text, and thats all I need it to do. It cost about £5. Even if you don't put any credit on the thing, you could still use it for emergency calls, if say for example, someone tried stealing one of your many Kindles? I'm 26, some people might think it's weird that I don't have a smart phone, but what do I need one for when I have other tech?
Personally, I prefer paper-back books. Any second hand book store, thrift store, charity shop has about a bazillion books on sale, and many of them best sellers. Imagine picking up a full set of Harry Potter books for example in a charity shop and only paying £3.50-£7 for the lot... whereas buying them via e-readers means you pay full price (sometimes upwards of £8 per book!) No 'second hand' when it comes to e-readers. Thats where the money is made. And being a book fanatic, I like physically owning my books.

And really, this isn't Amazon's fault that you rage quit out of the conversation rather than sticking with it and getting it resolved. Perhaps you could rename your title to "DAMN MY IMPATIENCE WITH ONLINE CUSTOMER SERVICES!"

edit on 22-4-2013 by Lulzaroonie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I use Amazon a lot and have not had any horrible issues with them.

I also have a Kindle HD and love it...it arrived safe and sound and works properly.
I need it because my eyes aren't what they used to be and I love to read

So, apparently, YMMV.

Considering all the satisfied users, seems a terrible fluke you've had such rotten luck with Kindle

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I have had a version of kindle since they came out, right now we have 3 kindle fire hd in our house. And we have never had a problem with them, or with Amazon. In fact, i do all my xmas shopping on amazon now, rather than face the mobs at the stores.

I am sorry to hear that you have had problems with the Kindle. But i can also see Amazons side of this as well.

Being a small business owner, i would be hesitant and want to do a little investigating if someone tried to return a product 5 different times because they kept breaking.

I am sure you are on the up and up, but form a business perspective, i would want to make sure everything was on the level.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I love Amazon, they have been fantastic with me. Any complaints are responded to quickly and the staff have treated me well, resolving any and all issues. I also have a Kindle I got for Christmas, it works great and I have had no issues with it whatsoever. I love it.

Sorry you're having such trouble, I know how frustrating it can be, to feel you're not getting anywhere..

edit on 22-4-2013 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I think that the problem the OP is talking about refers to a few slightly darker patches on the bottom of the Kindle screen. It's been moaned about by no end of purchasers. I've got a Kindle and it has the dark patches but, to be honest, they don't make the slightest difference to the quality of the screen and I don't even notice them when reading.

To the OP - Basically mate, get over it and just carry on reading.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CyningSaeward

I personally use books in different forms...for different reasons.

My first preference is to have an actual printed book. I have amassed many, especially since I have a good friend who owns a bookstore and get a discount..

For my commutes though, (long), I prefer digital audio books that I can play through the stereo....read while driving, so to speak.

On my cell, I like having some digital e-books for references, survival info, and other stuff that is just handy to have on you in a pinch.

I have no desire for a Kindle or similar item though. I'd much rather support my local bookstore.

top topics

join