It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Largest Tower To Be Built In Australia

page: 2
1
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I am liking this idea. But I know that this project wont get completed. As long as oil and coal are around, people wont see the need to drop that much cash for a concept. Whether they be Australian or otherwise.

Does anybody know how tall the new tower will be at Ground Zero? I heard that it will become the tallest tower in the world.




posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
1,776 patriotic feet of tower.



posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by shbaz
1,776 patriotic feet of tower.


what are you refering to? Are you talking about the New York "Freedom Tower"? thats the only structure that I know of that will be that specific hieght.



posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Don't look for that kind of tech in the US, we just elected a Fossile brain for pres.

Since this structure is solar thermal, then you will only have daytime draft that would start roughly after sunrise as the solar radiation takes time to head the tube,and peter-out shortly after sunset as the thermal emmision continues to radiate from the tube. There would also be a upwards thermal draft on the outside heated side of the tube as the surface will emit outward also resulting in lost energy.

Theory*

Create a monolithic spire of black carbon encased inside of a 1K high tube of acrylic. The solar radiation will pass through the acrylic, but will heat the carbon spire giving you full use of the thermal effect since the heated object is enclosed in the clear tube.
*
... Also mentioned...I think this is an awesome project.

China is plugging the Yangtze river displacing a lot of it's citizens and their towns of which the government is paying for most of the cost. This is creating a boom for some and a bust for others where some get new towns built, but loose a land heritage that has been inhabited for a long time, some possibly a 1000 or more years. The HEGs at the damsite will be pumping juice 24/7, should be a win for their economy. It will also be clean energy somewhat offseting any ecological damage caused by the flooding, we hope.

(edit, removed a typo)

[edit on 5-11-2004 by AlabamaCajun]



posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   
They have a go ahead to buid and a planned starting date of late 2005.

I only live someting like 200km from the site so when it is finished a drive over is planned.

Mildura and surrounding areas is a a rural area, very flat. So a 1km tower would look very impressive.



posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Alabamacajun
Don't look for that kind of tech in the US, we just elected a Fossile brain for pres.

- why do you say that? just becuase Bush has some oil? a LOT of people have stakes in oil because its a money maker. Your obviously still mad because Kerry lost.


The US is going greener, renewable energy will be the future, and thats mainly becuase of environmentalist and people just like to know that their electricity is coming from a clean source, its not some rediculous Bush plan to use fossil fuels forever.


The future "holy grail" will be individual power, every house and building have there own power supply (aka: no more grid). More then likely solar power, but could also be wind or water. For instance you can see its start to happen today, the new Freedom Tower in the ground zero spot will be the largest building ever at 1,776 ft high, and near the top (where it is very windy) there will be wind turbines which will produce 20% of the buildings power, it still needs power from the grid, but far less.



posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Ringwrath
Mildura and surrounding areas is a a rural area, very flat. So a 1km tower would look very impressive.

True, but I think one of the things to spoil the view is having to look at 4 other ones. But never the less it will get a lot of tourism.
Wonder how cool these things would look from space.



posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Also, it said there was 36 turbines, so I have a question, how would this thing produces electricity? Is it from turbine (wind), thermal (heat), or solar (sun)?


It's solar-generated wind.

The sun heats up the big disc, that heats up the air underneath it at ground level. Hot air, of course, rises. Through the stack. The turbines are in the stack, being spun by the rising hot air. Cold air is sucked in to replace the hot air, it is heated up under the disc and is drawn up the stack, etc. Such a brilliant concept.

The stack concentrates the wind, spinning the turbines more efficiently than wind-farm jobs, therefore producing more electricity.



posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV

Originally posted by Murcielago
Also, it said there was 36 turbines, so I have a question, how would this thing produces electricity? Is it from turbine (wind), thermal (heat), or solar (sun)?


It's solar-generated wind.

The sun heats up the big disc, that heats up the air underneath it at ground level. Hot air, of course, rises. Through the stack. The turbines are in the stack, being spun by the rising hot air. Cold air is sucked in to replace the hot air, it is heated up under the disc and is drawn up the stack, etc. Such a brilliant concept.

The stack concentrates the wind, spinning the turbines more efficiently than wind-farm jobs, therefore producing more electricity.


ahhhhhh, thanks. So this thing doesn't generate any solar power? I understand what you said but so are all of those things on the ground mirrors? It would make more sense that you would put solar panals there, so you can get some power from the sun as well as use there reflectivness.



posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
ahhhhhh, thanks. So this thing doesn't generate any solar power? I understand what you said but so are all of those things on the ground mirrors? It would make more sense that you would put solar panals there, so you can get some power from the sun as well as use there reflectivness.


Well I think eventually we'll be able to do both. Plus imagine how many you could put on a mile high tower



posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
OK ummmmmm....... Hope they have a really good lightning rod !!!!! I think I hear tesla laughing somewheres .


[edit on 6-11-2004 by bluemooone]



posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

Originally posted by shbaz
1,776 patriotic feet of tower.


what are you refering to? Are you talking about the New York "Freedom Tower"? thats the only structure that I know of that will be that specific hieght.


Did you just totally skip the post above mine or something?

---

I don't know why you guys keep talking about oil, do you realize how many oil fired electric generators there are? The ones that do exist are made for personal use. Other plants are coal fired, so get your crap straight. The world coal supply is estimated to last until 2060 or much later.



posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   
To Murcielago and anyone else interested, surrounding the tower is not mirrors, but a 4km wide greenhouse to heat up the air before it is sent up.

Me I think chain up a few politicians inside instead, much more hot air that way.



posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I wonder how feasible it would be to build a structure like this for just one house. I live in the southeast so there is always an abundance of sunshine and heat. Say a structure 100 feet high with several turbines and a small 1/4 acre tent type greenhouse around the base to amplify the heat. I work with towers and electronics everyday so the idea of actually trying something like this doesn't seem to far out there. Guess I have to start reading about wind energy now, there goes another afternoon. Anybody else have any ideas on this.

[edit on 7-11-2004 by Lanceman]



posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
You could spare yourself the expense by using windmills and stored energy in the form of compressed air, batteries, etc.



posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lanceman
I wonder how feasible it would be to build a structure like this for just one house. I live in the southeast so there is always an abundance of sunshine and heat. Say a structure 100 feet high with several turbines and a small 1/4 acre tent type greenhouse around the base to amplify the heat. I work with towers and electronics everyday so the idea of actually trying something like this doesn't seem to far out there. Guess I have to start reading about wind energy now, there goes another afternoon. Anybody else have any ideas on this.

[edit on 7-11-2004 by Lanceman]


If your doing it to power your house, you will be spending alot and alot of time will go with it. If you dont like to pay an electricity company then i'd suggest going solar. You couild get solar panels, or with less efficience you could by solar shingles, nobody can even tell that they are there, because there not big and bulky.





posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Its now 2005 and I haven't heard anything about this project. Does anyone know if ground has been broken on it? Or if its still going to be built at all? Thanks.



posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TJ11240
Its now 2005 and I haven't heard anything about this project. Does anyone know if ground has been broken on it? Or if its still going to be built at all? Thanks.


It's been deleyed to 2006. They purchased the Land(aroudn 50,000 acres) but are in need of some funding. I'll try and dig up some links for you.

www.atsnn.com...



posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Its Under Construction, and should be completed by 2009. BTW, China also has a few of these in the plans.



posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Its Under Construction, and should be completed by 2009. BTW, China also has a few of these in the plans.


Umm it is? The article I posted(and wrote) above say otherwise. It also mentions the Chinese deal. If the plans have changed again, then GREAT! However I need to see a link.



new topics

top topics



 
1
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join