It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Tower To Be Built In Australia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Near Mildura, on the border of Victoria and NSW in Australia a solar thermal power station is going to be built which will be one kilometer high. The tower would be visible at least 100 kilometers away.

Just to give you an idea of the size:

CN Communications Tower in Toronto, currently the world's tallest structure, is 1,809.5 feet tall (just over half a kilometer).

Solar thermal power station will be 3,280 feet high (1 Kilometer).

A link to read more -
www.cbc.ca...

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Here is a video stream of what it will look like:

EnviroMission (Windows Media Stream)

Its a very magical video, so if you an emotional person, it may bring a tear to your eye.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
This makes me proud to be human.. amazing.

I'm looking forward to reading about the engineering methods applied to this!

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Well it does look very impressive! I wonder how much it will cost to build and how long it will take?

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by electric squid carpet

Its a very magical video, so if you an emotional person, it may bring a tear to your eye.

Yeah because its nice that there are actually countries in the world that give a # about the environment and future of the human race.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Most enviromentalist are against as according to their calculations the environmental cost (primaryily the environmental cost of producing the necessary massive amount of steel) will out-weigh the environmental benefit it will bring over its lifetime.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I was wondering would this affect the weather in this area, especially rain?

Having hot air blown into the clouds 24/7 sounds a lot like increased rain/wind.

I also heard about an idea (from Tesla?) to create electricity by having somthing like metal plates at the top and botom of a tower, commected by wire creating electricty. Could anyone clarify how or if it could work. I heard the larger the distance between the plates, the more electricity. One Kilometer soulds like a lot of electricity.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
When you have a temperature difference over a wire, a slight current is produced. The longer the wire and the bigger the difference, the more electricity.

www.businessworldindia.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Popeye
Most enviromentalist are against as according to their calculations the environmental cost (primaryily the environmental cost of producing the necessary massive amount of steel) will out-weigh the environmental benefit it will bring over its lifetime.

I doubt i could be built right now. Maybe in a decade when Oil production is crashing. By then we won't have to use steel because CNTs(Carbon Nanotubes) should be in commercial use by then. And I'm not talking about some new Carbon Composite. I am talking a brand new textile thread 1/6 the weight of Steel and has the potential to be 100x stronger. So since its lighter than steel and stronger it would take less material to build the thing. No steel or concrete required. It would also lower the cost of such a structure many many times(yeah even though CNTs are expensive right now in 10 years they will be many magnitudes cheaper and since you don't need as much CNTs to build a structure as would need Steel and Concrete, it would be way cheaper then a conventional structure)

Umm and most Environmentalists today can't agree on anything these days so to say that most environmentalists are against this project is rather umm dumb. I am an Environmentalist and I am all for it whether its built today or in 10 years just as long as its built soon. We could use structures like this to generate massive amounts of H2 it boggles my mind.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The wires used in that experiment were nano....tubes. In order to make a significant temperature change in a wire that wasn't er hum on the scale of nano it will take a lot more change in temperture throughout the wire you can see this using bernoulli's equation with the dynamic pressure (1/2*rho*velocity^2) where rho is the density of the object. Obviously these wires have little or basically no density when compared to wires on the more "full-scale" it will be interesting to see how they actually make this work, with the solar panels i wonder hmm it will be interesting to see how this works out.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
That's why it would take such a huge scale to work with plain wire.. the link was just proof that the phenomenon is real.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
captain...ob...

I don't think this will actually be built, it just doesn't seem possible. Too many things have to go right. Whether conditions...i guess we'll have to wait to see.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aether
captain...ob...

I don't think this will actually be built, it just doesn't seem possible. Too many things have to go right. Whether conditions...i guess we'll have to wait to see.

Physics doesn't lie. With a strong and light enough material like Carbon Nanotubes(1/6 wieght, 100x strong than steel in case you missed it above), building this will just be a matter of trial and error, or trial and make a bundle(probably Billions guaging how the Oil markets have been doing recently), it's a gamble and Humans love to gamble specially when it comes to Prestige Projects like this(and the fact that it generates 200 Megawatts of NON-Polluting wattage! Build five of them and it would be all the energy Austrailia will ever need for a long time)

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
true, taking college level physics right now. I just don't see it actually being placed into production. Trial and error they may, but just think about it...the moment they can't create the amount of required temperture change between the lines (its interesting they are using carbon) there won't be any purpose of this structure.

Carbon is not exactly the easiest material to manipulate, i'm studying aerospace engineering at iowa state unvi. and we work with carbon fiber on the different sections of airplane wings/other bodies parts. It's very expensive to weave carbon fiber to your desired manipulation, but i guess if your australia your budget isn't exactly that of a univ. or company.

It would be VERY cool to see this engineering concept replace conventional energy producing techniques we use today. It just may take a way unfortunately

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
anyone else think they shoud just write 'Terrorists: Put Bombs Here' on the side of the tower?

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This is one of the coolest things that I think I have seen in a long time. It brings me new hope that we still have innovative thinkers out there.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
according to the date on the site, this is over 2 year old news, I read about this in popsci over a year ago. So if they are really planning on building this, why dont you have a more current link/update?

Also, it said there was 36 turbines, so I have a question, how would this thing produces electricity? Is it from turbine (wind), thermal (heat), or solar (sun)?

The design itself is of course very impressive, but is it feasable?

China is going to build a 1,000 megawatt hydropower station(powered by water), it will have 4 250 megawatt turbine generator sets, and in future coming years they are going to build 4 1,000 megawatt nuclear reactors. Each one of those options are "Green" options, and are far easier. (assuming you call nuke power a green form of power)

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Actually I was thinking more about it and I believe it is feasable, not only will you produce a lot of power but with a structure this high you could make tons of money on tourism, Who here wouldn't pay some money to take a trip up to the top and check out the view? I know I would love that.

and not only would you get in the Genis Book of world records for the worlds tallest building but if ya ass some numbers around it you also have the worlds largest sun dial.

But there always the possibility of a terrorist attack by crashing a plane into it, but judging by its size only a nuke could take her down, but never the less a jumbo jet could do severe damage. But being as high as sit would be I'm sure it would have a pretty big "no fly zone".

CNN/ Jan. 2003 - Its a little newer then the original link, it says that it could be built by 2006! although thats highly unlikely.

I'm ll for "Green technology" because everyone knows that natural resources cant last forever, So good job to Australia for throwing some big money into it.

[edit on 5-11-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Murcielago did you find out how much it costs? I think they should wait till CNTs become feasable. Building the thing with Steel, Concrete and Silicon would be very expensive.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Murcielago did you find out how much it costs? I think they should wait till CNTs become feasable. Building the thing with Steel, Concrete and Silicon would be very expensive.

there not waiting, besides it will be a couple decades before carbon nanotubes are feasable.

Start date 2002, end date 2006. So as far as I can find out it is still an active project.

Australian Buildings Database

It will cost 800 million Australian money, I think that converts into USD around $1,050,000,000. So its no small chunk of change, and yet all I can find is Artist impressions, no actual under construction pics, and if this is going to be finshed in 2006, it should be well under way.

[edit on 5-11-2004 by Murcielago]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join