It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC Blesses F-Bomb dropped by MLB player on National Airwaves: Is That OK?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I have two children.. just to clear that up before i start.....

i tell them not to swear because in a nursery\school\public enviroment it is frowned upon,

However.... i swear like a sailor, i hold a relativley high level job in a particularly large company in the uk, i spend alot of times in meetings and i use all language some describe it a s"colourful" i do admit with certain directors etc i make the effort not to swear, with other external companies again unless i "know" these people i make the effort not too, but i do swear alot, in both business and in my home\social life, sometimes the words do so much better than explaining things, i see no issue with it...

so i cant see how people can ever really be offended, unless they have been brought up in a religous or strict enviroment as its just another (and in my opinion) excellent use of language.

Just my thoughts though.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by GonzoSinister

Well let me ask you, do you swear in front of women, or people you do not know? Would you go into a job interview and start using vulgar language? No , I bet you dont. Because that would be disrespectful, right? The same could be said about using vulgar language in front of your own children. Its disrespectful. Another question, if it is not a problem to use vulgar language, why do great websites like ATS not allow its usage in their forums?

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by coruptedsector2
reply to post by esteay812

For the most part I agree with your reply, however I swear often under informal settings, and while you may or may not believe me, my vocabulary is very extensive and larger than most I come across. In fact I have to avoid the use of the majority of my vocabulary because many people are unable to understand the less commonly used words. When I speak I try to use words with the largest, most accurate meaning to convey my message. This helps me be straight to the point, and avoid long winded conversations. I would like you to know that my use of swearing is dominated by emotion, not intelligence, I am also very animated to help express these emotions through body language. There are many reasons for swearing, and I do believe there are more and less acceptable times for it. I do think that for many swearing is an indication of a small vocabulary, although I hope you could understand there are countless other reasons for swearing that do not include low intelligence or vocabulary.

I have no reason not to believe you. In fact, what you posted confirms my suggestion that vulgar words signal different things. The use of obscene words/slang tends to point to the class a person was raised in and the class they are most comfortable existing in.

I hope you don't take that the wrong way, because we are all from different social classes.The vocabulary, used as a defining property of class, is different at every level.

I can't imagine an upper-crust socialite would use obscene language when speaking with other members of her class, that would be derogatory to her social status. On the other hand, I can't imagine a good 'ole boy speaking as if they are in an Ivy league debate.

While profane and obscene language serves to broadcast one's social status, it's not the only thing it does.

The use of informal/casual slang, profanity, and general obscenities plays a role in developing bonds in our personal, domestic lives. Showing a relaxed dimeanor and using casual slang is a nod to becoming more comfortable in a newly formed friendship. It is a way to show that we are dropping our guard, displaying our social class, and are comfortable with the new friend.

If the new friend recognizes this as conducive to their current social class, or a class they find acceptable, they will choose whether or not they will be open to the bonding experience.

Obviously there are other dynamics in a bonding experience, but the use of casual slang and obscene language plays a role in the trust building and bonding process.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join