It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC Blesses F-Bomb dropped by MLB player on National Airwaves: Is That OK?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

I also think you will find the people offended are almost always in the minority

Really? You should call the Oxford Dictionary people and tell them they need to modify the definition.
Have you considered how many offended people have simply given up the battle by deciding to say nothing at all?

Edit to Add: The definition you quoted states

blasphemous or obscene

Why does someone choose to be obscene unless they want to offend someone? Do they like the way they look when they're being obscene?
Definition of 'obscene':
oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com...

1. connected with sex in a way that most people find offensive - obscene gestures/language/books/an obscene phone call (= in which somebody says obscene things)
2 extremely large in size or amount in a way that most people find unacceptable and offensive

So, again. Why does a person want to display themselves in this manner through the use of language or otherwise? Does it make them feel good/strong/powerful? I really don't understand the psychology of wanting to offend others with words and actions or feeling like you have the right to offend people in this manner.

edit on 21-4-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

You misunderstand, by definition the majority of people must be offended in order for a word or phrase to be considered a swear word yes?

Fair enough, makes sense.

But please reference my previous posts to see where I stand on the matter. My point was though you will generaly find the amount of people that are offended are always the minority, maybe not 60-70 years ago, but today?, pretty much. I was not re-interpreting the dictionary definition of what constitutes a swear word. I thought the definition you chose to use was rather moot.

How many people out there have simply given up complaining?, I do not know that is impossible thing to answer and can not really be considered, pure speculation.

The problem you have is mate you are considering something obscene to be a negative thing.

I do not understand why, more than likely it is personal bias from some sort of moral hang up they have been trained to think. I dunno, I am pretty liberal about language. And again you really have to understand "most people" does not really apply in society these days.
edit on 21-4-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

You may be right. Since the advent of TV and radio, we have allowed ourselves to become desensitized to obscene language and activities.

Yet, I'm left wondering. The definition of the F word is sexual in nature first and foremost. Did this baseball player feel sexy and/or powerful by using this word? Words do carry emotions and when people say things that evoke emotions, it can make people uncomfortable. Especially when sexually charged words are used in the presence or earshot of children who do not need to be using sexually charged language that's particularly vulgar. There's simply no need for it. A sports figure is often looked up to by children. I think they should be especially careful with their words and actions when in public. Then again, they know how influential they are to young people, so maybe this person is demonstrating that he doesn't care if he influences kids in this way.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
I guess the main question here is: Why do so many people enjoy offending people? Why is it so "cool" to push the envelop?

Actually much better questions are:

why do some people get their knickers in a knot over a word?
Why do they think they have a right to dictate what other people can say?
Why do they think it is "cool" to whine about other people?

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

Hey, Bruce. Haven't seen you in a while.
No. The questions you have asked go right back to what I was stating about Crowley and his "do as thou wilt" teachings. Not being considerate of others' feelings is just another example of this. When I'm in a room, I try to be respectful of those who are around me. It's called being nice. When did being nice and respectful go out of style? I try to treat others as I'd like to be treated. I don't try to purposefully offend others, so why is it so hard for other people to do the same unless they enjoy making other people uncomfortable. Wanting to cause others discomfort (whether psychologically or physically) is a trait found in sociopaths and psychopaths.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
Wanting to cause others discomfort (whether psychologically or physically) is a trait found in sociopaths and psychopaths.

So is whining about someone using a word you, for some reason, do not like!

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

No, I never said I didn't like the word. I said it was sexually vulgar in nature and shouldn't be considered an everyday word used in public. I said it demonstrates a lower intelligence when other words can be used. I also stated that the MLB player basicly said "This is our screwed up city!" How does this make any sense whatsoever if he is proud of where he lives? I'd be offended if a baseball player representing my city called it screwed up. Swearing is actually a lost art form. Today, people just throw around words to sound cool instead of considering whether or not it makes any sense for the context they're using it in.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

In a very generalized and without defined context, I guess? Do you go to a group of Chinese speaking people and just continue to speak English because you don’t think you should conform? My point is, I do not ‘Dumb’ myself down, I understand their vocabulary limitations, and then adjust so that we are still able to have a meaningful conversation. Do you find it enjoyable to talk to someone who can’t understand you, when you could easily ‘conform’ so there would be a productive conversation?

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by coruptedsector2

I'm not saying that I speak "above" them on purpose. I talk the way I talk. Most people will ask if they don't understand a word, which also demonstrates intelligence and a willingness to learn. A person has the right to walk away from me too if they find me too difficult to converse with.
To answer your question, I would never go to another country and expect them to speak my language. I'm in their territory and would respect their culture by attempting to speak to them as best I could. I would just hope that they would show me the same respect by recognizing that I'm at least trying and forgive me for silly and accidental errors. Like I stated earlier, I'm ashamed at how the English language has become so butchered, so why would I disrespect another language?

Edit to Add:
You stated

think you should conform

What does this have to do with anything? I've never considered myself a conformist anyways. Especially when it has to do with a liberal agenda. Just because everyone is saying F this and F that doesn't mean I have to talk like that to fit in. In a relaxed setting, I believe that people should express themselves however they wish, but we're talking about what's being said over public airwaves.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I used the word conform because I find it synonymous with "fit in" that you used in your reply to my post. Havn't learned how to post quotes from threads yet.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

That's OK.
The easy way is to place the desired text between these tags like so: (quote) hello (/quote) (just replace the parenthesis with brackets - I only did this to make the tags show)
or
highlight and copy the desired text, click the Italic tab above this box, then paste the text within the block and hit enter.
I hope this helps.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Right on, thank you, I had not tried it yet because there are so many critical people on ATS willing to jump all over you, when you have made a mistake, when the motto is 'deny ignorance'. I do appriciate your attempt to deny my ignorance by explaining it to me.
edit on 21-4-2013 by coruptedsector2 because: added: 'when you have made a mistake,'

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

No problem!
Besides, helping people out is what I enjoy best. It's just a damned shame that more people don't feel the same way.
-- Oops! I explained it to you wrong. Use the "quote" tab above and not the italic tab when quoting someone.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Without "bad" words, we wouldn't have the opportunity to us any "good" words every day

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tuttle
Why do Americans create so much fuss about swearing on television?

Sure in the UK if someone came on telly before the watershed and started swearing he might get a bit gip about it, but nobody really cares that much.

Its like, even that very expression "f-bomb" to be honest for other countries that is quite simply infuriating to hear people say it.

Its like when your networks bleep swearing, man, that pretty much destroys a large majority of tv shows from America for me.
edit on 21-4-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

Yes... unless its a movie, specially a Quentin Tarantino movie... then its all fine and dandy. Who doesnt enjoy listening to Samuel L Jackson's complete inability to say a sentence without 3 or 4 Fs to express what he really means?

"F-bomb" lol... Its like having a video game that has to be 18+ rated, not because it has blood and gore and brains splattered all over, the rage comes when it has boobs! OMG HOW DO THEY DARE SHOW BOOBS TO MY 12 YEAR OLD LITTLE INNOCENT BOY - go play modern warfare - BUT NOT THAT ANTI-CHRISTIAN, SATAN SPAWN MASS EFFECT that shows a little hint of a part of the ass of a blue alien chick - DEVIL WORSHIPERS!

Plus... I think swearing adds some character to a good sentence, as long as it isnt gratuitous. Good swearing can do wonders for a otherwise bland and weak sentence.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I don't think they make as big a deal out of it since children's movies started going PG in order tho throw a curse word or two in there. ET, Casper, and a recent animated alien one my son and I just watched, which was full of them, are three of I'm sure dozens of children's movies that include cussing.

The F word stood for fornification under the command of the crown king (something like this), when the king of England wanted all breeding to be of English blood (to put it nicely) but through centuries has lost that meaning - now used out of frustration and release of anger more than as sexual connotation. Cuss words are not nice to hear out of children but I would be confident is saying that 99% of children hear them from peers if not from tv so sheltering is nearly impossible. I'm not sure of rules of the media but I'm guessing since a kids movie can have them they have a good argument in court.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I personally think that words are just words. Adjectives, nouns, pronouns, verbs, and etc. is all just words to me. How someone can find offense out of some letters thrown together is understandable, but to me it's no big deal. Some sentences do sound/appear offensive, but I just don't dwell on it. Seeing you were at a baseball game(correct?), I would think someone nearby you would eventually curse probably out of frustration or joy from the ongoing game.

Good luck protecting your child from the world. I personally think it's best to show them the truth so they can understand what a horrible planet they've been brought to.
edit on 22-4-2013 by Abstruse because: oopsie

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Simple:

(1) FCC fines the offender based on its criteria for X amount of money.
(2) FCC takes the money received from the fine and donates it to some Boston Bombing aid fund.

But I guess even with that, you can't have everyone happy....

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I find it absolutely baffling how America is so scared of a few curse words. Your TV shows show people getting shot, mauled, having sex, promoting degeneracy (MTV and the likes) and all other kinds of 'indecent' themes but oh no! Don't swear! Think of the children!

Everyone knows them, everyone uses them.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TravisBickle451

I agree 100 percent. The offense at the very least needs to be punished at least monetarily. Instead, the FCC comes out and gives their blessings, thats my issue now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join