Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

FCC Blesses F-Bomb dropped by MLB player on National Airwaves: Is That OK?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Look, I am all for freedom of speech. However, the FCC holds thousands of people accountable to a strict set of rules and guidelines. I know this guy may have been speaking from his heart like they said, but what about the millions of children listening on broadcasts, as well as the parents at the ballpark with their kids to enjoy a beautiful spring day.? I for one, feel uncomfortable when my daughter hears vulgar language, so I try to shelter her from it as much as possible.

After thanking Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, Mass. Gov. Deval Patrick and the city’s police department, Ortiz yelled “This is our f---ing city!” Ortiz added: “And nobody's going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong.”

Now this happens, it should be addressed at least behind the scenes, not publicly blessed in my opinion.

The game against the Kansas City Royals was broadcast nationally on MLBN, as well as regionally on NESN. It was also carried on local radio stations WEEI 850 and WUFC 1510. But Ortiz’s f-bomb isn’t going to land him in hot water with the FCC, with FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski tweeting his blessing from the government agency’s official Twitter account.

So anytime there is a tragic happening, it is OK to use vulgar language on a National broadcast? What is your opinion? Should they the FCC have PUBLICLY gave its blessing to this? What kind of precedent does this set for the future? www.hollywoodreporter.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I don't want to make a federal case out of all of this -- but that's what the government is doing. The Federal Communications Commission in recent years has cracked down on "indecency" in general and this word specifically. The FCC's fines for indecency have risen steadily: a mere $4,000 in 1995, then $48,000 in 2000, then $440,000 in 2003 and finally a whopping $7.9 million in 2004. President Bush signed a bill last week increasing by tenfold the maximum fine for indecency on radio or TV, to $325,000. Broadcasters have sued to overturn recent FCC rulings, arguing that broadcasters shouldn't have to abide by laws that don't affect cable and satellite providers (which is why HBO's "Deadwood" can clock, by one Web site's calculation, 1.48 F-words per minute). The inability to be indecent is, for broadcasters, a competitive disadvantage.

These are the amounts the fines as part of their "crackdown" on the issue.
www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Why do Americans create so much fuss about swearing on television?

Sure in the UK if someone came on telly before the watershed and started swearing he might get a bit gip about it, but nobody really cares that much.

Its like, even that very expression "f-bomb" to be honest for other countries that is quite simply infuriating to hear people say it.

Its like when your networks bleep swearing, man, that pretty much destroys a large majority of tv shows from America for me.
edit on 21-4-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

“And nobody's going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong.”

This line in particular had me laughing out loud

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

Well, I for one try to shelter my 8 year old daughter from foul and indecent language myself. Do you have children? Have they ever asked you, "what does that word mean?". Besides, its not just a matter of decency, its a matter of enforcing the rules they set, and not just when they feel like it. How many children were at that game looking up at one of their heros, with a gleam in their eye, and hearing him use language like that?

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I thought it was rather classless but what do I know, because it seems everyone else loved it.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuttle
Why do Americans create so much fuss about swearing on television?

Sure in the UK if someone came on telly before the watershed and started swearing he might get a bit gip about it, but nobody really cares that much.

Its like, even that very expression "f-bomb" to be honest for other countries that is quite simply infuriating to hear people say it.

Its like when your networks bleep swearing, man, that pretty much destroys a large majority of tv shows from America for me.

My mother still corrects me when I swear. Which isn't often. I have to be up in arms about something. And I'm 37 years old!!!

I'm told it makes me look unsophisticated and ignorant - and I'm a lady, I should know better.

She's my mother - and I agree. I do the same with my children and teach them not to swear. Which can be difficult as their father has a language like a sailor!!!

It's tough - that whole, "Do as I say, not as I do." It's hard to explain to children that us parents aren't perfect - and we want to save you from our bad habits.

Cirque
edit on 21-4-2013 by CirqueDeTruth because: spelling

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I think that it should be black and white, especially when dealing with a regulatory agency.

There is no way to dictate whose feelings, listed as the motivating factor for the use of vulgarity, are more genuine and more acceptable. Who gets to judge what each person is allowed to say, on a person-to-person basis?

People around the world have different focuses in their lives. Where one person may be pushed to broadcast vulgarity based on the love of their city, another person may have the same convictions about their rose garden. Giving one person the OK and stone-walling the other is, in my opinion, discriminatory.

If one person is allowed to use profanity based on their feelings, then everyone should be allowed to act in the same manner, no matter how extremely different their feelings may be.

Again, who gets to pick the words each person is permitted to use on a person-to-person basis?

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Depends on the context of how the word is used, and sometimes it is just simply far more efficient to use a swear word. Simple as that. I think many people seem to still be suffering from this ultra conservative religious mind set that is hammered into people that there are "good" words and "bad" words. To me they are just words to be used like any other, whatever helps you communicate your thoughts/feeling as efficiently as possible is surely a good thing no?

Can you tell me what makes a word a "bad" word exactly?

Also, why can adults use "bad" words and children cannot?, what is the difference, the words do not change.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Interesting subject for a thread.

Just another step towards the demoralization of the American culture. Soon, kids will be saying this word and when their parents tell them not to say it, they suddenly become little attorneys and mention how this great sports idol (idol worship) said it, so why can't they? The parents are left with the only defense of: He's an adult and you're not. Which causes more confusion and further demoralization because then it's OK for adults to express themselves in this manner, which it really isn't. There are various other words that could've been used, but the speaker will choose the word that displays his level of intelligence. Before you know it, Americans are talking like crude idiots who have a lexicon of 250 words or less.
And don't even get me started on the erosion and destruction of the English language...

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

You should know I have no religious affiliation myself. Its not a bad word, its an indecent word. It may not affect you, but it does others. I am not affected by the word, but my 8 year old daughter may be, you get it?To answer you question, a words meaning is what makes a word a "bad" word as you say.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I once heard a statistic that people who swear are more truthful than those who avoid it, never looked it up to validate it, but from my personal experience I could agree. Formally I try not to swear, in my opinion there is a time and place, however I swear not to convey any specific verbal message, but swear to convey a strong emotion that emerges while in conversation. I do believe it gets the point across well. After all we communicate to convey a message, idea, object, emotion, I’m not going to avoid the use of words that help me accomplish this goal. As for the OP, it goes to show that the F word has become more acceptable in today’s society. We use the phrase 'white or dark meat' because at one point it was vulgar to say the word breast, society changed and now the vulgarity of breast has been replaced by other words associated with that anatomy. To be honest, I think society should teach us how to deal with the event of being offended, instead of teach the avoidance of offence, social, religious, traditional factors are always present, so even with the intention of non-offense there can still be offense. For this reason I believe we should learn coping skills with offense instead of an out of control politically correct society. Anyways language is a living creature, always growing, expanding, changing, I’m not surprised we have reached a point in society where the F word has become acceptable for TV, after all its happened to many words before this time, and will continue to happen after the present.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
edit on 21-4-2013 by intrepid because: Post removed due to foul language. Yes, we get the irony.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

Many people associate the use of curse words with religion and many religious people use clean language as a show of their faith.

Personally, vulgarity has nothing to do with religion. To me, the use of profane words signals several different things, such as; the lack of an expansive vocabulary or the lack of intelligence to understand which words to use at the right time, an inability to intellectually articulate themselves, the class a person belongs to, as a way to demonstrate the class the person wants to belong to and to display the type of personality one wants others to see them as, also as a sort of 'fashion statement' for some.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikemck1976
George Carlin says it best...

+1 to that, this pretty much explains the idiocy of decreeing what constitutes a "bad" word, explains it better than I can.

This is Dustin Hoffman portraying Lenny Bruce, a stand up who used to go to jail for "indecency" in public lol, just for using words. As he says "its the suppression of the word that gives it power, gives it violence".

Highly inappropriate content in the following link lol. THERE BE BAD WORDS.

Lenny Bruce hard words
edit on Sun Apr 21 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: edited out video link

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

For the most part I agree with your reply, however I swear often under informal settings, and while you may or may not believe me, my vocabulary is very extensive and larger than most I come across. In fact I have to avoid the use of the majority of my vocabulary because many people are unable to understand the less commonly used words. When I speak I try to use words with the largest, most accurate meaning to convey my message. This helps me be straight to the point, and avoid long winded conversations. I would like you to know that my use of swearing is dominated by emotion, not intelligence, I am also very animated to help express these emotions through body language. There are many reasons for swearing, and I do believe there are more and less acceptable times for it. I do think that for many swearing is an indication of a small vocabulary, although I hope you could understand there are countless other reasons for swearing that do not include low intelligence or vocabulary.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
According to the Oxford Dictionary,
oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com...

a swear word that many people find offensive that is used to emphasize a comment or an angry statement

I guess the main question here is: Why do so many people enjoy offending people? Why is it so "cool" to push the envelop?

We don't just see this with vulgar words, but the acceptance of vulgar expressions such as we saw with the Super Bowl when Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake were performing. People tried to laugh this one off, too, saying that people are too prudish. I have to disagree with them. This was a planned part of the show designed to push the envelop to see how people would respond. Was this a liberal agenda trying to see how far they can go with vulgarity and nudity? Are these situations designed to manipulate and desensitize society so that it's going to be normal seeing immoral activities everywhere?
By the way things are progressing, I truly have to wonder if anyone in society will have any respect for themselves and others in 50 years. Then again, those who practice what Crowley preached, they believe everyone should "do as thou wilt", which is hedonistic, egotistical, and essentially satanic in nature. Do we really want to live in the kind of society where everyone is simply out for themselves and forget anyone who doesn't like it? Children need to look up to people who exercise and demonstrate self-control through their words and actions.
In translation, the guy this thread is about said "This is our screwed up city!"
I wouldn't think that's a term of endearment. What he said was just moronic and he should be ashamed.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by coruptedsector2

So, in short, you purposefully dumb yourself down to fit in with those around you.
One of my friends recommended I do this, but I just can't. I jokingly told him this was against my religion.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
They do not fine the person they fine they fine the station. Even then most of the time stations go to court and have it tossed out. The FCC has lost most of its power over the last few years.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Definition of profanity
noun (plural profanities)
[mass noun]

blasphemous or obscene language:an outburst of profanity
[count noun] a swear word; an oath: a man with bloodied chin mouthing profanities
irreligious or irreverent behaviour.

Origin:

mid 16th century: from late Latin profanitas, from Latin profanus 'not sacred' (see profane)

oxforddictionaries.com...

This explains why there is resentment over "bad" words.

I also think you will find the people offended are almost always in the minority

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join