It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For all my fellow pool/billiards players in the ATS community

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Hello all my friends. I'm rarely a thread starter and this steps widely from the norm of my threads. But with all this Boston hype here I thought I'd give a seperate outlet of discussion. Being from Boston myself I'm highly tired of all of it... But to the point lol

I've been a pool player since a child as I used to have a full table in my attic. But the past year or so have gotten fully back into the game. I've noticed since then a sharp increase in my attention span outside of the game aswel as in from an increase in practice. I was wondering if anyone else here also has noticed this from an increase of playing this or any other skill game.

Any other hints and tips are well appreciated aswell
and I'd love to add more to this thread if anyone is interested In discussion. Till then have an awesome day my friends!
edit on 21-4-2013 by pryed -eyed-one because: Spelling error

edit on 21-4-2013 by pryed -eyed-one because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I played league pool for about four years many years ago. Pool is a very good game for building awareness of how angles work and energy is transferred. By giving energy to the cue ball a certain way, you can transfer a reverse spin on the next ball it hits. This reversal is very interesting.

I liked foosball too. It promotes concentration abilities. All these real games help a person learn better than video games.....unless a person has no interest, then learning is real hard. Stimulating interest in what you do is necessary to learn.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I used to play pool every day in my youth when I was down the pub. I was so good at one point that I'd leave with enough money in my pocket for bus fare and one pint but would always go home drunk. We'd bet a drink a game...lol

A friend is talking about getting a pool table and I really hope he does, I love the game. I'll be wondering how my reflexes are after playing again for a while. They are pretty sharp at the moment but I'll be more aware now you started this thread.

Cheers and happy potting.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pryed -eyed-one

I used to play a bit of pool - spent a lot of my life in and around pubs - but we mainly play 8 ball pool here in the UK.
The local league I played in had a unique set of rules - basically a bastardised mix of World Rules and local rules - it caused much confusion when we played against teams / people from outside my town.

Pool certainly gives you an increased awareness of angles - on and off the pool table.

Don't know if you've ever played snooker?
I used to like it but to be honest I was pretty crap at it - being colour blind didn't help!

Don't know why I stopped playing really, guess I just drifted away from it - and maybe because I got sick of losing.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
How the heck did you get a pool table in your attic..

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
How the heck did you get a pool table in your attic..

When you have bats in your attic, everything becomes possible

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
When you have bats in your attic, everything becomes possible

You have a table tennis table up there too?

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Hey thanks for the replays my friends, I too notice the increase in awareness of angles and energy transfers you talked about. I've been thinking about joining a league but I think maybe 6 more months or so of practice would increase my odds of getting anything out of it. I play mostly for the fun anyway now, just always enjoyed it much more than most other sports or drinking games, or the mix of the two for that matter haha.

The pool table in the attic lol. Pretty sure my grandfather put it up there in the 70s and it was there untill maybe 4 years ago or so when I moved it for my band...big mistake on my part
. Looking into a new one as we speak of corse. How they got those massive stones up there I've never figured out tho I know they built the whole attic from scratch so could have been done before the door and stairs were closed in so much, that's my guess lol.

top topics

join