It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
the above is from this link english.yonhapnews.co.kr... there are others before that say South Korea would want the Bombs back but that was before the China US SK and Japan talks going on.
2013/04/18 14:57 KST
text size plustext size minusprintsend twittersend facebooksend msn
S. Korea, U.S. extend talks on nuclear accord for one day: official
SEOUL, April 18 (Yonhap) -- South Korea and the United States decided to extend formal negotiations aimed at revising a bilateral civilian nuclear accord for an additional day, a Seoul official said Thursday, after two days of talks failed to narrow differences.
The allies began a new round of talks on Tuesday in Washington to rewrite the 1974 agreement that bans Seoul from reprocessing spent fuel because it could yield plutonium that could be used to build atomic bombs.
to me if we where to back out SK and let it be a ASIA problem, Little Un would go back playing with Tonka toys and not nukes. SK and DPRK could then have talks and the Kaesong would be open. If Un was serous about war we would be in it already unless his opening shots will be nukes then it could be months form now as he builds up his arsenal
South Korea, China bolster diplomatic efforts on N. Korea
Cautious hopes for turnaround in N.K. stalemate emerge
Published : 2013-04-21 21:08
Updated : 2013-04-21 21:09
Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Jung Seung-jo shakes hands with his U.S. counterpart Martin Dempsey on Sunday. (Yonhap News)
Cautious hopes for a turnaround in the military stalemate with North Korea have emerged as Seoul, Washington and Beijing are ratcheting up diplomatic efforts to calm tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
A turning point could come around Thursday, the founding anniversary of the North’s armed forces, or around the end of this month when South Korea and the U.S. end their annual Foal Eagle field exercise, observers said.
Seoul officials and experts said Pyongyang might consider setting off provocations such as missile launches around these dates. But depending on its political calculations, it could choose not to further escalate tensions here.
The North has indicated its willingness for talks with Beijing over the nuclear standoff, Japan’s Asahi Shimbun reported Saturday. A senior Chinese official such as its top nuclear envoy Wu Dawei could visit the North, the newspaper said.
Before the North conducted a third atomic test on Feb. 12, the Chinese envoy sought to visit Pyongyang, but failed to do so as the North rejected China’s offer of dialogue amid escalating nuclear tensions. Wu Dawei is to visit the U.S. this week.
To step up bilateral cooperation over North Korea issues, Seoul’s Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se is to visit Beijing and Japan this week. During his trip, he is to meet his Chinese and Japanese counterparts Wang Yi and Fumio Kishida.
“(Yun) plans to deliver a message that North Korea should not further escalate tensions by launching another missile,” a government source told media, declining to be named. “He will also discuss bilateral responses when peninsular tensions decrease.”
On Sunday, Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Jung Seung-jo and his U.S. counterpart Martin Dempsey reiterated their firm resolve against North Korea’s additional provocations. Dempsey came here earlier in the day as part of his three-nation tour including visits to China and Japan.
“The two JCS chiefs discussed the continuing North Korean threat in a serious manner. They reaffirmed the alliance has the capability and the will to respond to any kinds of provocative threats by the North,” Seoul’s JCS said in a press release.
Their talks came after they held the Military Committee Meeting last week. They initially planned to hold it in Washington but decided to do it through video teleconferencing to maintain a robust readiness amid North Korean nuclear threats.
The North Korean military continued to maintain the highest level of combat readiness at its strategic missile and artillery units. Bringing its war threat to a new level, Pyongyang issued the order to raise its posture on March 26.
The reclusive state has been seen preparing to launch intermediate-range Musudan missiles from its east coast.
Seoul is also closely watching the possibility of North Korea launching shorter-range missiles such as Scud missiles with ranges of 300-500 kilometers and KN-02 missiles with ranges of 120-160 km.
During a parliamentary session last Thursday, Kim Jang-soo, who heads the presidential office of national security, said the North appeared to have made “considerable preparations” to launch Musudan, Scud and Rodong missiles.
Meanwhile, Burwell Bell, a former commander of the South Korea-U.S. Combined Forces Command, withheld his support for the transfer of wartime operational control, saying that talks over the transfer should be put off amid the North Korean threats.
According to the Washington-funded broadcaster Voice of America, Bell stressed the need to employ an active deterrence strategy to handle the provocative state, saying the deterrence efforts need to be led by Washington.
Since 2006, Bell had been an outspoken supporter of the OPCON transfer.
By Song Sang-ho (email@example.com)