It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about Maverick 88 shotgun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I am interested in buying a Mossburg Maverick 88 shotgun. They sell them at walmart and they are less expensive then my local gun store. Is the walmart version the same as the one in the gun store?
I buy tools from home depot and they are not the same as the ones bought in the lumber yard. They look the same but the internal parts are plastic and the tool doesn't function or last as long. Is this the same case with the guns at walmart? Are all Maverick 88's made in the same shop with the same parts. My local guy says that his are better but I expect that from a local gun store owner.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jlafleur02

I would recommend the Mossberg 535 ATS. No, not this ATS...it stands for All-Terrain Shotgun, whatever that means.
The way I figure it, is if you can carry any weapon over any terrain, then it is all terrain.

But anywhos, it is configured to fit most types of 12GA ammo so you don't have to be to picky. It'll accept 2 3/4in, 3in and 3 1/2in ammo and eat them all just fine.

It doesn't cost a whole lot and gives you options when it comes to ammo.

ETA: Oh, and as far as 727Sky says...they do have quite the kick, expecially with the 3 1/2in load. I fired 25 rounds at the range and it took a couple of weeks for the bruises to go away. But I was also hitting my targets at 50 meters quite handily, with both slugs and 00 Buck.
edit on 21-4-2013 by TDawgRex because: had to add

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
They function and have never had a problem with mine. In all honesty I have not shot mine that much preferring the MKA1919 12 gage.

The 88 kicks like a mule if you are using slugs or magnum shells due to it's light weight.. Two shots and I am finished for the day.....I have never shot bird shot in mine or a non-magnum shot shells so I would assume the recoil would be lessened and more manageable..... I rarely shoot a shotgun so it has worked for me. Great cheap firearm for home defense. Again they do have considerable recoil be forewarned.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Remington 870 if you must. But I prefer a semi-auto. Shorten the barrel to a legal length, add a pistol
grip, take out the plug, and you have the best home protection firearm available.

I have never understood the appeal of pump action riot shotguns. I think folks are in love with
the theatrical effect of chambering a round with the pump action.

I prefer the efficiency of a semi auto, and if you keep good ammo, you don't have to worry about
a misfire.
edit on 21-4-2013 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

Pumps are easy to fix and they should force to you to shoot and hit what you aim at. Very few stoppages with them as well.

They also prevent a person from doing the spray and pray.

If someone were to break into my home, they will not be forewarned with a “Clack-Clack”.

edit on 21-4-2013 by TDawgRex because: coffee

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The Maverick 88 is a cheap gun. It functions in the sense that it operates like a pump action, but it's construction isn't top quality. I had a friend who wanted to buy a shotgun. I pointed him in the direction of tried and true designs like the 870 and the Mossberg 500, but he eventually settled on the Maverick 88. After a few magnum shells a component inside the receiver came loose and eventually broke off making the action useless.

In fairness to the company, which was bought by Mossberg, they provided replacement parts at no charge.
But that weapon was later sold in favor of an 870 tactical.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
the mavrick 88 is basically the mossberg 500 almost all parts are interchangable the 88 is a great home defence weapon with a 19 inch barrel and pistol grip they sell a version with the shorter barrel and pistol grip or u can convert one with a longer barrel using a mossberg 500 or 88 barrrel also the grips are the same on both models there very good cheap reliable guns imo i have never had a problem with my 88 its a great little gun and i have killed a lot of ducks and 2 turkeys with mine there the same at walmart and at local gun dealers walmart can afford to buy 10000 of them at a time so they get a better deal and can sell them for less is the only reason there cheaper there not that they are cheaper made.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
If you are going for the maverick 88, get a used one since you are going for cheap. I got one with a pistol grip (no shoulder stock) and it doesn't kick that much even when using slugs.

Like others have said, you may want to get a 500 or Remington 870 instead. The aftermarket items are cheap and easy to find. You'll run into a few modification issues with the 88 when using 500 items...mainly with the magazine extension. The 88 will require dremel work to get beyond its 5 round cap.

The 88 at Walmart is the same as the gun store...don't think you can make the 88 any cheaper. Matching up the item manufacturer numbers should prove this. Only thing I could think that will make a difference is the slide arm, maverick used to use a single arm, but now use a double (one on each side). The single kept prematurely breaking.

Ask the gun store guy to match the price and pay in cash. If he insists that his are better, have him show you what makes it better.

Edit-some guns made for Walmart are made cheaper (less features).
edit on 21-4-2013 by ChuckNasty because: edit as above

Edit 2-when using the shotgun in a home defense situation, always keep both eyes open. It'll help you lead a moving target. I'd also suggest to load the gun so the first shot is bird shot, just in case the perp isn't a perp...also, you are more likely to shoot a perp if it is one, you'll trick yourself into thinking the shot won't kill them. It'll make a follow-up shot a guaranteed (if needed) as you'll get over the initial fear of shooting a human. Most people have a fear of killing (discovered in WWI, fixed by WWII, perfected today with pop-up targets).
edit on 21-4-2013 by ChuckNasty because: edit 2 - just in case.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChuckNasty
If you are going for the maverick 88, get a used one since you are going for cheap. I got one with a pistol grip (no shoulder stock) and it doesn't kick that much even when using slugs.

Like others have said, you may want to get a 500 or Remington 870 instead. The aftermarket items are cheap and easy to find. You'll run into a few modification issues with the 88 when using 500 items...mainly with the magazine extension. The 88 will require dremel work to get beyond its 5 round cap.

The 88 at Walmart is the same as the gun store...don't think you can make the 88 any cheaper. Matching up the item manufacturer numbers should prove this. Only thing I could think that will make a difference is the slide arm, maverick used to use a single arm, but now use a double (one on each side). The single kept prematurely breaking.

Ask the gun store guy to match the price and pay in cash. If he insists that his are better, have him show you what makes it better.

Edit-some guns made for Walmart are made cheaper (less features).
edit on 21-4-2013 by ChuckNasty because: edit as above

Edit 2-when using the shotgun in a home defense situation, always keep both eyes open. It'll help you lead a moving target. I'd also suggest to load the gun so the first shot is bird shot, just in case the perp isn't a perp...also, you are more likely to shoot a perp if it is one, you'll trick yourself into thinking the shot won't kill them. It'll make a follow-up shot a guaranteed (if needed) as you'll get over the initial fear of shooting a human. Most people have a fear of killing (discovered in WWI, fixed by WWII, perfected today with pop-up targets).
edit on 21-4-2013 by ChuckNasty because: edit 2 - just in case.

I always keep both eyes open with scope or sight. Thanks for the reply's also. As far as killing someone, I would like to believe I would in a situation where someone came in my house and physically threatened my family. I don't know what the outcome would be. Many people say" if someone came in my house I would shoot them dead". I always consider this BS.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jlafleur02

I'm throwing out there... Mossberg 590 (tactical home defence shotgun) Bang for you buck and you hold more shells~

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I know the thread is old enough that the OP has probably already made a decision but I have an 88 and thought I'ld throw this out there. As other have said, its parts are mostly interchangeable with the mossberg 500. The differences between them are:

Mossberg 500:
Safety on top (not ergonomic if your using a pistol grip or ar buttstock and use the safety a lot like I do.)
Predrilled sight holes
slightly different fore end that allows easy changing between corn-cob forearm or pistol grip fore end

Maverick 88:
Safety near trigger (much like most autoloading 22's & good position for either straight stock or pistol grip)
no sight holes ( gun smith can do for about $25 around here)
fore end is 1 piece so if you want a pistol grip fore end you can order the mossberg fore end from the factory and use it.

If you want to see it I'll send you pic

Other than that they are almost identical and I believe any variation in tolerances or performance will be based on the quality of that specific gun not the make/model. I ultimately choose the 88 for the safety placement. I can keep the safety on all the time (know, treat, never, keep, keep) and have it right by my finger when I shoulder the gun. and for about $60 I got the mossberg fore end parts and the sight holes drilled.
edit on 11-5-2013 by Virole because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Remington 870 if you must. But I prefer a semi-auto. Shorten the barrel to a legal length, add a pistol
grip, take out the plug, and you have the best home protection firearm available.

I have never understood the appeal of pump action riot shotguns. I think folks are in love with
the theatrical effect of chambering a round with the pump action.

I prefer the efficiency of a semi auto, and if you keep good ammo, you don't have to worry about
a misfire.
edit on 21-4-2013 by rival because: (no reason given)

Pump action shot guns are quite a bit cheaper, they are more reliable and more durable, and they also aren't picky about what type of shells are being used. Semiautomatic shotguns are more particular about what types of shells are being used due to the requirement of the charge to work the action in addition to propelling the load.

If someone is a mall ninja I could see them needing a semi-auto shotgun for home (or mall) defense, but a simple pump action is still a very reasonable and effective home defense tool.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Creeping in on the thread thingie, but I agree with the pump vs semi statement.

For a home defense gun, the op doesn't need all the bells and whistles in a shotty. A reliable gun that will shoot slugs and no.4 buckshot without worry whether the gun will cycle is all he needs.

Only attachment I'd suggest is one that will hold a light. Just as long as the light has a strobe/flash setting. A constant beam in a home def situation will limit your vision. The strobe will make your eyes search around. Have to try it to understand. But there is also no need for a scope-should be point and shoot in a home defense scenario. So any scope drilling by a smith should not be a factor in aftermarket cost. The 88 is a good choice in protecting your home.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChuckNasty
reply to post by James1982

Only attachment I'd suggest is one that will hold a light. Just as long as the light has a strobe/flash setting. A constant beam in a home def situation will limit your vision. The strobe will make your eyes search around. Have to try it to understand. But there is also no need for a scope-should be point and shoot in a home defense scenario. So any scope drilling by a smith should not be a factor in aftermarket cost. The 88 is a good choice in protecting your home.

Agree to disagree i guess. The cost of two mounting holes and a bsa reflex sight makes aiming infinitely faster and easier vrs a single bead sight, especially in low light conditions and high adrenaline situations. Its a small investment that is definitely a force multiplier and has much great benefit than shell holders, stock type, barrel length or almost any other thing on your weapon. Your ability to see and fire accurately is literally the most important factor imo. over semi auto/pump, ammo capacity, shell sizes, or ammo type.

I'm not talking about a turkey scope but it make your shotgun more versatile, should you ever want to hunt you can change the scope and your set for gobblers, for deer or hogs the bsa would be fine. Also whatever ammo you decide to use to out and shoot some poster board at 10-20-and 30 feet. That should be pretty much the max distance for home defense and you'll get a good idea of the pellet spread with your particular barrel and choke. The spread size it usually much tighter than most people expect as you're not holding a sawed off.

Also, I would never use a slug in my house, the penetration is much to high. double 00 to bird shot is the range i would choose, from most to least lethal. As for personal defense rounds, I would stay away from ones with slugs in them and look more towards triple discs or discs with shot.

Lastly I would disagree with the light on a personal level, I've used them before but strobes are as disorienting to me as they are helpful, all my time overseas i used a two power surefire and never had any issue
edit on 12-5-2013 by Virole because: Orginally posted from phone, lots of spelling and grammar problems. Fixed from PC

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I prefer a pump action to semi-auto, but then I am a hunter.

When shooting clays, they only come one or two at a time. When hunting duck, or especially pheasant, if you have done your homework you're liable to bust up a whole slew of them with a number of males. And in that scenario, I can shoot a pump action faster that a semi. Someone will say that I cannot accurately hit anything while doing it; but that isn't the case. And if you follow a single bird or clay, you will notice that a semi wobbles all over the place as it cycles, you end up having to re-acquire your target either way.

It doesn't come up as much with a semi, because the actions are so slow that the birds are out of range after the second shell is fired, anyway.

top topics

join