It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost my business, I have no money, and I couldn't be happier.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
double post, tempted to leave it for value's sake, but no need i guess
edit on 21-4-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
I feel sorry for the people who live to work. As in, they spend their entire lives working a job that pays well, only to go to sleep, wake up and repeat the same thing. Maybe sleep in on a saturday, but sunday is all about thinking of monday.

I'm absolutely dirt poor. Couldn't buy a cup of coffee right now if I wanted to. I have loads of coffee beans if the instant runs out, ha. And a cheap turkish grinder I purchased years ago, which makes the perfect cup of mud.

But I don't really miss having money. I never had a lot, always had just enough to cover my vices and get petrol - petrol which I used to drive to and from work, and all the places in between For work. I never used my car just for me.

I almost had a life once. Damn it was hard work being 'something' that was supposed to fit in. For a pay packet and the joy of having no expectations of anything apart from more work.

I could live in a shanty hut by the beach, and make use of the things I've acquired over the years in preparation of any day it becomes an inevitability. But so far health and circumstances keep me tied to this place.

And the fact that the government simply criminalises anyone not paying taxes or being a drone worker, which sickens me, leaves me no choice but to participate to some extent in this criminally insane world.

And then I read about people going off the grid, and they show pictures of their underground cave-house, or the shipping containers they've converted into a plush roomy two story home.. and I think, how many years of work did they have to suffer through to get to that stage.

Reminds me of that old adage, which I can't remember properly but goes along the lines of a white man speaking to an Indian and telling him he needs to work. The Indian says "Why?" and the white man says "So you can buy a boat to fish." and the Indian says "and?" and the white man says "Then you can buy a house and live in it." and the Indian says "and?" and the white man says "And then when you're old you can retire." and the Indian says "and?" and the white man says "Then you can enjoy life." and the Indian says "But we have all the fish we need and we have a hut to live in and we already enjoy life, right now."

Having said all that if I won the lotto tomorrow, I'd not complain.

They say that money doesn't buy happiness.... but as Alan from Two and a half men says "Well I wouldn't know, as I don't have either." lol

edit on 21-4-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

Best post you ever wrote, imo!

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I think there's a fine line here. First, one's career choice and occupation really depend on one's priorities, goals, temperament, and values. Some people are just not cut out for the business world, and would be better off pursuing a different endeavor.

It's hard for some people, especially men, to separate their work from their core values. If you truly value family, and you can afford to work from home, then that might be appropriate at your current stage in life. When the children are older, you can always work more hours and take on additional work responsibilities.

By the same token, if you are shying away from life's responsibilities and shirking work as a result, then I would tend to agree that you need to re-examine your priorities. Hard work, a strong work ethic, and productivity are all healthy values. Laziness, shirking one's responsibilities, and taking the "easy way out" is neither admirable, nor something to which one should express pride.

After all you have have been through, you might need this temporary break to recharge your batteries in the meantime, and there is nothing wrong with this approach. But if this is a permanent approach - shirking life's responsibilities - then you need to re-evaluate your core values.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I thought I had a nice book title, for you to write about your experiences.
But alas, the Title has been taken, the book has been written.

Screw the Jonses

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
OK, I'm gonna point out a couple things.

1. It's not about you, you have 4 children. Provide a future for them, lazy ass. What a great role model you are to give up on trying something hard because it's easier to just sit on your ass. Weak.
2. Working from home was never your dream. Don't give me that. Working from home became an ideal option for you once your laziness took over your work ethic.
3. I'm probably just as poor as you, but I'm still able to enjoy life and take personal time to treat myself and my family by working hard. "Die broke" is something I believe in, but only after you've covered all the bills and loved one's needs. Sometimes that means working more hours or 2 jobs, or looking for a better paying job. It's the game we all have to play. Sitting on your butt and rationalizing it by saying that was your dream all along shows me exactly how you talked yourself out of everything you had. Lazy.

I've had a career for 13 years, I've worked non stop for 17 years, collecting paychecks every 2 weeks non stop for all that time (call it a blessing or a curse lol), I've only taken 28 days total off work for sickness or vacation in all that time and you call me lazy, lol.

I know you're not here next to me to understand, nor do you know me at all, and that's ok, but for those who are older and understand what I'm going thru, my situation is the best. I'm 5 months into a very long journey, yeah, I'm not making a lot of money right now but I know one day I will, why? Because I work with a passion these days and hours go by like minutes, I sometimes can't pry myself off the computer till 2-3am because I want to finish a project. I'm not lazy

But yes, after having a boss, then being my own boss, and now starting anew, this is awesome, and I'm looking forward to every minute of it.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I am 62 and am contented where I am at in life. That peace of life does not come from anything except what is deep down inside. I have found it does not come from things or money. My husband and I worked from 1968, non-stop, to 2007. He was a union laborer and I was a Certified Nurse Aide. Every day, was spent anxiously hoping we could keep our jobs and pay our bills. We did not take vacations, we just worked, for the good of the kids. Then, in 2007, just when we were on the verge of retirement, my husband got an acute disease, similar to MS. He was in a medicated coma, on life support for 4 weeks. Then he was disabled permanently. Anyway, we lost our house, jobs, health insurance, couldn't keep up with our car payments. Left the hospital 3 months later 250K in the hole. But my partner in life walked out of the hospital. That was all that mattered. Yeah, it sucks to be poor, but we eat, have a nice rental, and really enjoy each other.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
You know how to create business documents? Are you seeking to improve your business communication and writing skills? ANDREW PEGLER MEDIA andrewpeglermedia.com.au... offers many affordable classes that will help you learn how to become a better communicator and writer. This course offerings include mastering presentation skills, writing emails and memos, a comprehensive Writers at Work Certificate, and many more classes. These courses will teach you proven tools, tips, and writing skills that will help you articulate your ideas cogently and effectively. This course is perfect for business professionals who want to take quality business writing class, but don’t have a lot to spend.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join