It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US plans Syria invasion via Jordan with 20,000 soldiers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
presstvchannel.tumblr.com...

The US military is deploying more forces to Jordan as part of a plan to dispatch 20,000 more soldiers there in a bid to invade Syria under the pretext of securing the country’s chemical weapon arsenals.

The Pentagon is sending nearly 200 troops from the 1st Armored Division to establish a “small headquarters” near Jordan’s border with Syria and plan potential military operations, “including a rapid buildup of American forces if the White House decides intervention is necessary,” The Los Angeles Times reports on Thursday, citing ‘senior US officials

“As I sit here today, Senator, I do not see the introduction of military force would produce the outcome we seek,” Dempsey said. “I don’t think it should be left unaddressed, let me be clear about that. But the introduction of military power right now certainly has the possibility of making the situation worse.”

PressT.V. had this article with a date of April 18, 2013 and quoted the L.A.times as a referance source.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
So... I gotta ask.. When they link up with the Free Syrian Army ..I.E... Al Qaeda in Iraq ... Do they shake their hands or shoot them in the head? I guess it'll depend on whether the soldiers literally recognize each other as having fought different sides a few hundred miles to the East and not long ago, eh?

What a crazy crazy thing we're seeing here. The Air Force was just talking about having to ground 1/3rd of their aircraft from regular operations due to sequestration pressures on little things like fuel and training supplies.

Now we're gearing to a new war? Oh.. Wait.. I'll bet they think it's just an in and out thing, huh? Kinda like Iraq in '03. Just in for a little WMD and a quick regime change. It is that time of the year again, isn't it? Spring offensives. Oh Goody.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
So... I gotta ask.. When they link up with the Free Syrian Army ..I.E... Al Qaeda in Iraq ... Do they shake their hands or shoot them in the head? I guess it'll depend on whether the soldiers literally recognize each other as having fought different sides a few hundred miles to the East and not long ago, eh?

The FSA are entirely different to the Al-Nasra Brigade which recently announced it's link up with AQ in Iraq. You are oversimplifying a complex and multi-faceted sectarian conflict.

As for the 1st AD troops being sent in, they are officially there to help the Jordanians with the border and refugees. They are replacing an existing unit that has been in theatre for many months.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Explain that to someone who hasn't been very closely watching this since the "peaceful demonstrations" began in Homs. The FSA have SOME honest to God Syrians among their ranks but they are comprised of 12+ groups from around the region in a shaky alliance of sorts, to coordinate efforts as much as anything. Among those 12 are some of the worst and extreme in the region. We're backing terrorists and Jihadi street fighters on this one. NO good can come of it and I pity whoever takes the role of Ambassador Stevens on THIS one post-'revolution'. I think they'll do far worse when they turn on the America presence which helps them at the moment now.

That's just my take though from keeping an eye on this through more than MSM.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Now we're gearing to a new war? Oh.. Wait.. I'll bet they think it's just an in and out thing, huh? Kinda like Iraq in '03. Just in for a little WMD and a quick regime change. It is that time of the year again, isn't it? Spring offensives. Oh Goody.

Thanks for the post: maybe if we are lucky they will change the plan. I do remember the plans were drawn up several years ago about who would be invaded or institute a regime change...Looks like the plan is still in effect. I doubt Russia will be pleased if this goes through......I am totally "not happy to see this".

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I'm sure when the time comes, it will be portrayed much as you stated- as an 'in and out thing...'
This will allow the U.S to establish a formidable force in a strategic location, that will subsequently be utilized in any conflict with Iran(IMO).

edit on 20-4-2013 by topdog81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Yeah, no kidding. Russia has 50,000 citzens/ex-pats living and working in Syria while Iran has outright military force in Syria and supporting Assad (per their formal treaties of mutual support and aid in war). This is just bad all around, and that's before we even get to the fact we're supporting some of the very same people we've also been fighting in 2 other area nations.

Remember when U.S. foreign policy at least made sense? You could agree or disagree, but there was SENSE to it. Now it's just about the ends justifying the means, by any means necessary it seems.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Oh, definately..

I was watching a Channel 4 (UK) Dispatches program the other night where a reporter spent time with both Government and Rebel units..

It is a total cluster fudge out there and I actually felt at times that we should actually cut Assad some slack as, clearly, some of the rebels are hell-bent on Jihad and want to wipe out Allawites, Christians etc. It actually did jive with what the Syrian Government have been saying at times, namely that they are fighting Jihadi extremists. The Government forces where the only ones to include people of all faiths and ethnicity's and their morale was high. They genuinely believed they were protecting the Syrian people from a full blown Islamic insurrection.

Others, like the FSA, are secular but the whole things looks like a Middle eastern Bosnia with different groups with different agendas.

Rather than the West rolling in to oust Assad, we should be supporting a UN peacekeeping force to separate the warring sides and force a political solution that doesn't end in a sectarian genocide...

EDIT: Too add, while what I said about the Government forces holds true, they were not that bothered about lobbing shells, rockets and unguided bombs from jets into built up area's. The program was very graphic and far too many innocents are being killed, most of them very young or very old...
edit on 20/4/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Indeed, I will agree with the political solution by UN mandate at this point. Earlier on, I would have loved to see the FSA just left to defeat and destruction, since they've had to all but scream for world intervention to stave off that fate more than once since this began with the calls for the Arab Spring to Damascus.

Now though? You're right and it has gone too far to just turn off support and think that would do anything but cause total anarchy and chaos in the wake.

I just fear Obama is getting Bu#is in the feelings of general power and ability to go kick butt and get the job done quick and clean ...as if that outcome is just a matter of doing the same thing a bit differently to have a radically different outcome.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Tis official, Syria has fallen to US war machine, and joins the ranks of Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya..

albeit with increasing bloodshed.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
www.washingtontimes.com...

U.S. to deploy Patriot missile batteries on Jordan-Syria border

By Cheryl K. Chumley
The Washington Times
Friday, April 19, 2013

An unnamed Jordan source said the U.S. military agreed on Friday to the country’s request to put Patriot missile batteries along the border with Syria.

A London newspaper quoting the Jordan source said the United States was sending two Patriot missile batteries to the area, The Times of Israel reported. The source also said the Patriot missile batteries would be transferred from sites in Qatar and Kuwait, and placed in strategic border spots that could best serve – and protect – the kingdom.

Just a few weeks ago, Patriot missile defense batteries were put along the Turkey-Syria border to protect Ankara from mortar fire, The Times of Israel reported. And on Wednesday, Secretary of State Chuck Hagel announced the U.S. would send 200 troops to Jordan to help with violence along the Syrian border.

Jordanian Information Minister Mohammed Momani said to The Associated Press that the 200 troops were welcome, and would “bolster our training and defense capabilities in light of the deterioration in Syria.”

www.washingtontimes.com...

edit on 20-4-2013 by azureskys because: spelling

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

I'm sorry Azure... I can't help it. I don't even need to be sensitive to the outright negligence of Media to even edit stories for accuracy anymore to catch this one but... ummm...

Well?

Just a few weeks ago, Patriot missile defense batteries were put along the Turkey-Syria border to protect Ankara from mortar fire, The Times of Israel reported. And on Wednesday, Secretary of State Chuck Hagel announced the U.S. would send 200 troops to Jordan to help with violence along the Syrian border.
(your link)

Has someone informed Former Secretary of State Kerry about this change in Cabinet positions?

The media approach to accuracy like it's merely helpful is getting scary isn't it?
edit on 20-4-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys
Just a few weeks ago, Patriot missile defense batteries were put along the Turkey-Syria border to protect Ankara from mortar fire, The Times of Israel reported.

This little snippet made me chuckle from your source..

That is a bloody big mortar to lob a shell from Syria to Ankara!! It is around 500 odd miles from the border!

Silly journo's...

What they probably meant to say was Syrian rockets, ie SCUD's or mortar fire along the border area's. Syria doesn't have single artillery piece able to lob a shell that far...

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I skimmed right over that

That was from The Washington Times yet

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I laughed when i read the title.
We will NEVER see reg US troops in Syria,it's simply not going to happen

edit on 20-4-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Well I for one hope you are correct! The article would lead one to believe otherwise though...
QUOTE:
He detailed the streams of cash Washington is pouring into the anti-Assad opposition, including $117 million for “communications and medical equipment” as well as undisclosed US State Department and US Agency for International Development funding. Hagel explained, “The goal is to strengthen those opposition groups that share the international community’s vision for Syria’s future and minimize the influence of extremists.”

Hagel was apparently referring to Washington’s fears that ultra-right Islamist terrorist groups active in the opposition and funded by the United States’ Middle Eastern allies could take over Syria, should the Assad regime collapse. The Al Nusra Front, the military spearhead of the US-backed opposition in Syria, recently swore loyalty to Al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri. (See “Syrian opposition militia declares allegiance to Al Qaeda”)END QUOTE:

willnotbetelevised.com...

In testimony before the US Senate Armed Forces Committee on Wednesday, top US defense officials announced that they are deploying 200 troops of the 1st Armored Division to Jordan. They will establish headquarters near the Syrian-Jordanian border and plan for a rapid build-up, involving 20,000 or more US troops, awaiting orders from the White House to invade Syria.

There are a few articles on the subject referring to the 20,000 number.

edit on 20-4-2013 by 727Sky because: added content

edit on 20-4-2013 by 727Sky because: ....

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
One word comes to mind..ridiculous ,don't sweat it man

edit on 20-4-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
rt.com...

US troops surround Syria on the eve of invasion?
R.T. has a brief article also but again, it is Russia today.

Whistleblower Sibel Edmonds, formerly a translator with the FBI, wrote over the weekend that American soldiers are among the NATO troops that have mysteriously and suddenly landed on the Jordanian and Syrian border. According to her, several sources internationally have confirmed the news, although the US media has been instructed to temporarily censor itself from reporting the news.

From what I gather this will be sold with satellite photos showing Chemical Weapons being made ready or moved by the Assad regime.
No one knows except for those inside the room with the big picture what is going down yet there are indicators pointing to something is up.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Can someone explain to me why Jordan would be doing this to Syrian nationals in their refugee camps? I would think that Syrian nationals would have the right to return to their country if they chose to..

Jordanian authorities are preventing Syrian refugees at the Zaatari camp from returning to their country, a Syrian official says.

On Saturday, a Syrian official told SANA news agency that Jordanian authorities seized IDs of the refugees at the camp, located 10 kilometers east of Mafraq in northern Jordan, to prevent them from returning to Syria.

The official said about five thousand people managed to cross the border illegally.

A number of refugees, who had left the camp, blamed Jordan for confiscating humanitarian aid provided to them, saying, the Syrians have to pay 200 dollars to police forces, who would in return allow them to leave the camp.

Earlier in the day, police fired teargas at refugees, injuring five in the camp. The violence broke out after police arrested a group of Syrians attempting to flee the enclosed camp.

Again, what is the deal here? Don't the Syrians have any rights in Jordan or something?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys

I skimmed right over that

That was from The Washington Times yet

Oh, Ok, now I see it may have come from the "Times of Israel"
That might be the problem

But theWT did post it - oh well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>