page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

be careful there ... you are arguing against an intellectual giant

Hardly.
edit on 24-4-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
vimeo.com...

I can't find it on Youtube, but this is the Vimeo link to the John Oliver/Peter Van Cleave/John Howard interview.

Unbelievable logic coming from the gun lobby
How can anyone take these people seriously?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Unbelievable logic coming from the gun lobby How can anyone take these people seriously?

So, you want to tear up the constitution?

Oh, and just so that you know... Australia's violent crime rate increased after their gun ban in 1996.

Austrailia Crime Facts and Figures 2011

Their Gun Homicide rate went from about 23 people per year, to about 17 people per year....

But their HOMICIDE RATE (by any weapon) is still hovering at around 220 (near where it was before the gun ban)

So, the Gun ban didn't actually help them at all, because most of the murders there are done with the knife or "Blunt Instrument"

Meanwhile, since the gun ban, their Assault statistics went from about 600 to about 800 per year.

it's a rather in depth compendium of crime statistics... and it is FAR less "Black and White" than the DAILY SHOW wrongly insinuates.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia

And yet in most all cases, violent crime increases when gun confiscation takes place.

And lets not forget all of the tyrants who disarmed their populations to kill them off en mass.

Lets not EVER forget the 60,000,000 who died because of gun confiscation.

Hitler Gun Control Facts: U.S. Pro-Gun Advocates Have More in Common With Hitler Than They Think

A popular argument for gun control opponents since the issue flared to fever pitch in the wake of the Sandy Hook massacre has been that Nazi leader Adolf Hitler outlawed guns, and that any attempt by Congress/ President Barack Obama to do the same is akin to the dictator’s World War II policy.

No — the argument makes no sense. Hitler did have a gun control policy (and one that read almost like the Feinstein bill does today), but that policy was an extension of post-World War I gun control measures set on Germany by the Allies to keep Germany from militarizing itself.

Keep in mind now that we’re not even talking about Hitler yet: The 1919 measure was passed immediately after Germany lost World War I and well before Hitler came to power in 1933.

Hitler did have his own gun control policy, an extension of the 1919 regulation. Funny enough, it sounds a lot like the boiler plate gun control legislation that is on the books across the United States — and, even funnier enough, the Hitler gun control policy sounds like something any American would generally support … but even more so is what pro-gun advocates are pushing for: deregulation.

So, are pro-gun proponents in the United States right to compare gun control efforts to Hitler? No. The reality is that their views more align with Hitler policies (except that anti-Jewish part!) of de-regulation.

Before using your hitler excuse look it up. Pro gunner just love to regurgitation lies told by other pro gunners.

Here's some more info.

Was Hitler Really a Fan of Gun Control?

"But guns didn't play a particularly important part in any event," says Robert Spitzer, who chairs SUNY-Cortland's political science department and has extensively researched gun control politics. Gun ownership in Germany after World War I, even among Nazi Party members, was never widespread enough for a serious civilian resistance to the Nazis to have been anything more than a Tarantino revenge fantasy. If Jews had been better armed, Spitzer says, it would only have hastened their demise. Gun policy "wasn't the defining moment that marked the beginning of the end for Jewish people in Germany. It was because they were persecuted, were deprived of all of their rights, and they were a minority group."

Did Hitler ban gun ownership?

A favorite lie from the pro gun side or quote as you like to say..

The quote you are talking about is something along the lines of the following: This year will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! The reference is usually given as a speech by Adolf Hitler--alternatively, some say it was in Mein Kampf, but that is easily checkable and proven false

Some gun proponents like this quote because it compares current gun control attempts to those of the Nazis. But as the pro-gun FAQ cited above freely concedes, "This quotation, however effective it may be as propaganda, is a fraud." Instead of propagating a falsehood

To be continued

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
No, Hitler Did Not Ban Guns - And Neither Did Mussolini, Castro, Stalin or Pol Pot...

Sadly, reality doesn't seem to matter. Those who believe these myths will continue to believe, facts be damned. But that doesn't mean the truth should be subverted, and the truth is these gun nut claims are not accurate, at best. Here's the top gun nut arguments so far, with my rebuttals...

1. Read the headline, gun nuts. THAT'S my point.
Not one of you has been able to refute any of my facts. Comically, many of these nuts believe it's up to me to prove the facts true. Not surprising Very few gun nuts were on the debate team or know the first bleeping thing about forensics. FYI, ignorant gun nuts, in any debate, if you believe your adversary's statements to be in error, it is incumbent upon YOU to refute them authoritatively. And no, "Nuh uh," or, "Is not," do not refutations make, duh.

2. "Obama (Congress, etc.) has armed guards!"
You are not the president of the United States. You're just a gun nut with delusions of adequacy. How bleeping stupid must one be before one is unable to understand that the most powerful office in the world merits extra protection, especially as more than a few presidents have been SHOT? Is fork in the face stupid sufficient or must one be super dense, black hole, singularity-type stupid?
3. "In Australia (or England, Sweden, insert your favorite country to hate here) crime went UP after guns were banned!"
This one is double dumb. First off, it's simply not true, which is why not one of these nuts can provide any kind of citation to any such thing. Second, none of the favorite gun nut target countries banned guns.
4. "Chicago! (or NYC, LA, Detroit, etc.)
Gun nuts are too ignorant to know bringing up Chicago disproves their own argument. The fact is Chicago banned hand guns in 1982. Beginning in 1983 and continuing for 28 years, the murder rate trended consistently down, falling every year except 2. In 2010 the Supreme Court overturned Chicago's ban. Once again cheap hand guns were easy to come by. Guess what happened? The murder rate skyrocketed. As to comparing large states with large urban areas to empty rural states, what, are you gun nuts really THAT bleeping stupid?
5. "Mexico has strict gun laws and it's still flooded with drug gangs using illegal guns!"
Good point! Yes, Mexico is suffering terrible problems at the hand of drug cartels. Drug cartels that supply the American market using guns they bought legally in Texas, then smuggled into Mexico. IOW, our taste for drugs and our gun culture are in large part responsible for Mexico's troubles.
6. "Cars kill more people than guns!"
They do, which is why we require drivers to be licensed, which requires passing proficiency tests every few years. We require all vehicles to be registered with the state and pass inspections at regular intervals. We require liability insurance. We tax all vehicle sales, retail and private. By all means, yes, let's treat guns just like we treat cars.
7. "Hitler disarmed the Jews. If the Jews had guns, there would have been no holocaust!"
Yes, Hitler disarmed German Jews in 1938, long after the Nazis had consolidated total power and long after they had subjugated German Jews, taking not just their guns, but their citizenship, businesses, livelihoods homes, possessions... Not to mention, Jews in Warsaw, Paris, Prague, etc., were not banned from owning guns until after Hitler had conquered their nations. Six million died. Fat lot of good their guns did them against the Nazi war machine. 8. "Criminals don't obey the law, so gun laws won't work!" Following this toy train of logic to its inevitable flaming wreck, because some people will break the law, we shouldn't have any laws at all. 9. "You can't stop every tragedy!" No, you can't, but it's stupid to argue that since we can't stop all tragedies we shouldn't try to stop any. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
10. "Banning weapons won't work!" Learn to read. Nobody has suggested any such thing. Stop listening to those voices in your head.
11. "Israel and Switzerland have lots of guns and low crime rates!" Both Israel and Switzerland have extremely strict gun laws, duh. Thanks ever so much for proving my point that gun control, does, indeed, reduce violent crime.
12. "The assault weapons ban didn't work!" Nonsense. The rate of mass shooting during the ban was MUCH lower than before or after.

The Myth Of Hitler’s Gun Ban

The gun culture is right about one thing, however. Hitler really did enact a new gun law. But it was in 1938, not 1935 – well after the NAZIs already had the country in its iron grip. Furthermore, the new law in many ways LOOSENED gun restrictions.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Gun violence severely outweighs the stories of gun helping anyone and THAT IS A FACT.

The lies that if people had more guns would stop crime is too much. People have guns now and yet it is rare that anyone has actually stopped anything. Not because MSM does not cover it...but because there is not much to cover.

There are more stories of 911 calls and other things stopping crime.

Any more lies that you gun advocates would love to spread? Also since the gun ban in Australia...according to Australian crime stats..violent crime has gone down since the ban. Look it up on the other links I have used from their site.
edit on 24-4-2013 by kerazeesicko because: I CAN

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   

So, you want to tear up the constitution?

Depends on how it is interpreted.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

Bull[snip]

Gun restriction laws applied to all guns and ammunition. The 1938 revisions introduced restrictions specifically reiterating the prohibition for Jews to hold firearms, but made it easier for one party nazi regime to gain acquisition and transfer of rifles and shotguns, as was the possession of ammunition.

Jews were forbidden from the manufacturing or dealing of firearms and ammunition.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yeah... I'm gonna need you to stay after class and clean the erasers.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   

You know, it really is too bad that you spent all of that effort crafting your hit-post... when my posts above yours utterly trashes the entire message that you worked so hard on.

It's a Pity that, isn't it?

Historically, totalitarian regimes have passed gun control legislation, which was later followed by confiscation, with Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany during World War II (as well as some communist states) being well known examples.[9][10][unreliable source?][11] Once the Nazis had taken and consolidated their power, they proceeded to implement gun control laws to disarm the Jewish population and wipe out the opposition, and the genocide of disarmed Jews, gypsies, and other "undesirables" followed.

Holocaust survivor Theodore Haas, when asked "Some concentration camp survivors are opposed to gun ownership. What message would you like to share with them?," replied: "I would like to say, 'You cowards; you gun haters, you don't deserve to live in America. Go live in the Soviet Union, if you love gun control so damn much.' It was the stupidity of these naive fools that aided and abetted Hitler’s goons and thugs. Anti-gun ownership Holocaust survivors insult the memories of all those that needlessly perished for lack of being able to adequately defend themselves."

In Tzarist Russia personal gun ownership was legal, allowing Bolsheviks and other revolutionaries to import a great number of guns for the purpose of overthrowing the Tzar. For example, in 1905, during the Russo-Japanese War, the ship Sirius delivered to Russian revolutionaries 8,500 rifles paid by the government of Japan. In December 1918 during the Russian Civil War the Bolsheviks made it a crime for citizens other than members of their own party to own guns.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

Actually the strict gun laws were place before hitler came into power. So guns were banned for all people. When he came into power..he relaxed the laws except for the Jewish people. So there were no guns to stop him from coming into power..either for the Jewish people or other people.

So really you did nothing but cherry pick...like all gun advocates love to do....

Once guns...guns were useless. They did nothing to stop anyone from coming into power. Even when gun laws were relaxed for others.

So tell me again....how do guns stop tyranny. It wasn't guns that stopped the British..it was the people and a little war they had. Which involved cannons, ships, swords and guns. The guns back then were pretty much ineffective..what with one shot then reload...so it was strategy and will that stopped the British from taking over America...not guns...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

he relaxed the laws except for the Jewish people.

Oh, I see what you are saying.... that since the Jews didn't have guns, that they couldn't fight back agains the Holocaust...

Yeah, you are right... Gun Control is usually the first step a tyrant makes before exterminating a population.

I'm glad you agree with me.

So really you did nothing but cherry pick...like all gun advocates love to do

Yes, I cherry picked historical examples of how gun registration and gun confiscation led to the widespread and systematic murder of an unarmed population.

Thank you for agreeing with me that Those who want to disarm the population are generally tyrants!

Once guns...guns were useless. They did nothing to stop anyone from coming into power. Even when gun laws were relaxed for others.

Yeah, you are right about that, especially since the only people who were allowed to own guns were those whose loyalty to the Nazi Party was without question!

I'm glad that you agree that tyrants typically disarm those they want to destroy, and make sure that only those who agree with them are ever armed!

Thank you so much for so eloquently agreeing with the historical evidence AGAINST authoritarian gun control!

So tell me again....how do guns stop tyranny.

It wasn't guns that stopped the British..it was the people and a little war they had. Which involved cannons, ships, swords and guns.

Yes, thank you for continuing to agree with me that Guns are our only means of effectively fighting against tyranny!

I had you all wrong!

You ARE Pro-Gun!

Thank you for your contribution towards freedom!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko

Just how do guns stop those things from happening?

Stay out of this debate, it is obviously way above you.

MYTH = guns stop crime.
MYTH = guns stop people from dying.

But you haven't explained how a collapsing building in India should be illegal ....

There should be a law by golly!!!! make collapsing buildings illegal then everything will be fantastic!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko

And yet in most all cases, violent crime increases when gun confiscation takes place.

And lets not forget all of the tyrants who disarmed their populations to kill them off en mass.

Lets not EVER forget the 60,000,000 who died because of gun confiscation.

Hitler Gun Control Facts: U.S. Pro-Gun Advocates Have More in Common With Hitler Than They Think

A popular argument for gun control opponents since the issue flared to fever pitch in the wake of the Sandy Hook massacre has been that Nazi leader Adolf Hitler outlawed guns, and that any attempt by Congress/ President Barack Obama to do the same is akin to the dictator’s World War II policy.

No — the argument makes no sense. Hitler did have a gun control policy (and one that read almost like the Feinstein bill does today), but that policy was an extension of post-World War I gun control measures set on Germany by the Allies to keep Germany from militarizing itself.

Keep in mind now that we’re not even talking about Hitler yet: The 1919 measure was passed immediately after Germany lost World War I and well before Hitler came to power in 1933.

Hitler did have his own gun control policy, an extension of the 1919 regulation. Funny enough, it sounds a lot like the boiler plate gun control legislation that is on the books across the United States — and, even funnier enough, the Hitler gun control policy sounds like something any American would generally support … but even more so is what pro-gun advocates are pushing for: deregulation.

So, are pro-gun proponents in the United States right to compare gun control efforts to Hitler? No. The reality is that their views more align with Hitler policies (except that anti-Jewish part!) of de-regulation.

Before using your hitler excuse look it up. Pro gunner just love to regurgitation lies told by other pro gunners.

Here's some more info.

Was Hitler Really a Fan of Gun Control?

"But guns didn't play a particularly important part in any event," says Robert Spitzer, who chairs SUNY-Cortland's political science department and has extensively researched gun control politics. Gun ownership in Germany after World War I, even among Nazi Party members, was never widespread enough for a serious civilian resistance to the Nazis to have been anything more than a Tarantino revenge fantasy. If Jews had been better armed, Spitzer says, it would only have hastened their demise. Gun policy "wasn't the defining moment that marked the beginning of the end for Jewish people in Germany. It was because they were persecuted, were deprived of all of their rights, and they were a minority group."

Did Hitler ban gun ownership?

A favorite lie from the pro gun side or quote as you like to say..

The quote you are talking about is something along the lines of the following: This year will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! The reference is usually given as a speech by Adolf Hitler--alternatively, some say it was in Mein Kampf, but that is easily checkable and proven false

Some gun proponents like this quote because it compares current gun control attempts to those of the Nazis. But as the pro-gun FAQ cited above freely concedes, "This quotation, however effective it may be as propaganda, is a fraud." Instead of propagating a falsehood

To be continued

Oh this is so brilliant ... you jumped straight to Godwin's law - I wish i was a genius like you

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
edit on 24-4-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: The Gun... Don't Jump it... sleep... need sleep....

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

MYTH = guns stop crime. MYTH = guns stop people from dying.

Tell that to my aunt whose ex husband ran her off the road one night and tried to stab her to death, her response was to grab her concealed weapon and put him down......

Luckily she only suffered minor injuries...........sure stopped her from dying.....awesome logical fallacy there buddy

Crime-Noun An action or omission that constitutes an offense that may be prosecuted by the state and is punishable by law. Illegal activities: "the victims of crime"

Self defense is not a crime

The only person here that isnt intelligent enough to carry on this debate is you (might as well insult you since thats what youre doing to everyone on this thread)
edit on 24-4-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Mod note:

Can we stop with the bickering and personal attacks and conduct ourselves in a better manner? All posts that are insulting or rude towards other members, or away from the initial thread topic to lead others into an argument, won't be tolerated and will be removed.
edit on 24/4/2013 by Ayana because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

You do know I was not the one who brought hitler into the debate ..right..

I was just showing that using hitler in the gun debate was silly.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Found the Youtube clips of the John Oliver interviews - Parts 1 and 2 with Part 3 to come soon....

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Part 3 - wrapping it up nicely

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join