learn more

Jon Stewart explains flaws in gun control laws

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

The way the law was written would be punishment...did you read the proposed law? The opinion of a doctor could eliminate the ability of a person to legally own a gun...

In Switzerland, it is mandatory to own a gun. I think Archie Bunker had it right...give everyone a gun and train them on its proper use and care...if they fail to do this, then punish them for the failure...

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Registration leads to confiscation.

Which is what universal background checks are all about.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

You know what is also a stupid myth...guns stop crime.

You know what is also a stupid myth...guns LAWS stop crime.

Fixed for truth, but who cares let's put of Jon Stewart and "restore" sanity to the country.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Only time I will reply to you.

Another internet tough guy who has dreams of going out heroically in a gun fight when realistically one sharpshooters would take you out with one shot and no one else getting hurt.

But hey keep believing...

Who wants to go out any way except old fat and happy peacefully in the night in their nice warm bed?

I know I don't, but I will if forced to do so.

Don't mistake willingness to act, with want of doing so, there is a huge difference.

As to your internet tough guy reply......lol, I am not a tough guy, internet or not, I just don't take crap off anyone ever. The only tough guys I know of are all in jail already for being idiots.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Why does the number of suicides with guns have anything to do with gun control.

Most suicides will happen no mater what they use and some if they can not get a gun will do it in a way that will endanger others.

Turn off the pilot light on a stove and turn on the gas in a apartment.
then when the gas get strong light a lighter. and blow the complete apartment complex up.

And i have heard of truck drivers that have had oncoming cars that they have watched the drivers turn the wheel and hit them head on.

People committing suicide will do it one way or another.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
It's sort of a straw man attack or a non sequeter. Basically the analogy is not valid. Opponents of gun control say that there's no point in banning guns because criminals don't follow gun laws. Then he points out the absurdity of this because the same can be said of stealing etc... However these two situations are not analogous. There is a fundamental difference.

The difference is that stealing does not protect you from theft. Vandalism doesn't protect you from vandalism. Making a law against stealing does not strip a man of the power to protect himself from thieves. Making a law against murder ( a rational law) does not strip a man of the power to defend himself. Banning guns takes guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens, and leaves them in the hands of law breaking citizens, stripping the power of a man to defend himself from the robber, the vandal, the thief in the night.

There's another problem I have with Oliver's segment. I love the daily show by the way, however I don't suspend my own critical analysis of an issue, because I'm watching a show I enjoy.

The other problem I have is that you can't point to gun law's in Australia, and in the UK and say "they worked there, they'll work here". Again there is a fundamental difference. Australia is an island sharing borders with no other country.

We share a border with mexico. A country in a state of near anarchy, partially controlled by large criminal syndicates. A country across who's border billions of dollars worth of illicit goods, and 10's of thousands of people are smuggled each year. We live in country with large gangs, who control territories to a greater degree then the government.

These organizations will certainly keep the supply of guns going. We need to bring down the bloods, the crips, and the drug cartel's of mexico before any discussion of gun control can be thought of as sane or rational.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   

When Howard was prime minister (he was conservative), his government passed sweeping gun control laws after a massacre. Since these laws were in place, there have been zero gun massacres and gun fatalities, both homicides and suicides, have dropped dramatically.

My reply would not have been whoop di do, it would have been, are you # serious.
Mate, i live here and im telling you, the only people with guns now are the underworld figures. Bikie gangs, mafia etc. and there are people getting whacked left right and center in the land down under.
shopping malls on the Gold Coast, south west Sydney, west Sydney, Melbourne, Perth all these areas are rife with illegal weapons and massive amounts of drugs and illicit underworld activity.
That quote by that senile old # is a lie, the streets are a war zone in the large city's in Australia and the majority of the pathetic population dont even see it and are fed the story that Australia is some untouchable couldn't happen here place (something like America gets fed i guess).

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Great stats & remember, the entire continent of Australia has less population than the entire state of Texas

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom
Hmmm, a quick Google search brings up:

Australian Gun Ban Facts & Statistics

In which it is noted:

Accidental gun deaths are 300% higher than the pre-1997 ban rate

The assault rate has increased 800% since 1991, and increased 200% since the 1997 gun ban.

Robbery and armed robbery have increase 20% from the pre-97 ban rate.

From immediately after the ban was instituted in 1997 through 2002, the robbery and armed robbery rate was up 200% over the pre-ban rates.

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 171 percent.

Reported sexual assaults have increased by 51 percent since 1995, at an average of four percent each year.

After we banned guns in 1997, people murdered by guns decreased by 10%. On the other hand, people murdered by knives increased by 10%.

These numbers come from the Australian Institute of Criminology

You can't always trust a politician spewing stats that make his policies look good. The other day I heard some politician here in the US say that 90% of Americans want more gun control.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

You know what is also a stupid myth...guns stop crime.

Go compare the violent crime rates in countries where citizens are allowed to own guns as compared to countries where citizens have no right to own guns. Then come back and say how much of a stupid myth it is.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
"...the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Okay.

If you want us to give up our guns....amend the constitution.

Right now (and for the last three hundred years) the law says we have the right to bear arms.

If you disagree with the law, exercise your First amendment right to do away with the second amendment.

.....It's funny how these two rights are number one, and number two, in order.

You think the founding fathers of the greatest nation in the history of humanity might have thought they
were of similar importance?......

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
stewart on people who are afraid the bill will be used as a stepping stone for mandatory registration/confiscation: "the bill isn't intended for mandatory gun registration, therefore it should be passed"

to that i say: legal gun sales between private citizens aren't intended for crime down the road, therefore it should be allowed. they COULD be used for crime, but let's stick to the road we're on now, eh jon?

we have laws for conspiracy to commit murder, attempted murder, etc, and we have backround checks for gun purchases, and laws preventing felons and mentally unstable people from owning/being around guns.

here's a nice statistic for you:

2010: 72,659 denials 34,459 felony convictions/indictments 13,862 fugitives 44 prosecutions (0.06 percent of denials)

bangordailynews.com...

72,659 gun purchases were denied in 2010, 48,321 of which were because the person was either a felon or fugitive. only 44 were prosecuted.

in all honesty, i think the government is holding out on doing their job until people foolishly give away more rights. "look at how much trouble guns are causing" (honestly not that much, but whatever) "we need stricter laws". no. we need the government to do it's damn job and uphold the laws already in existence.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey

In Switzerland, it is mandatory to own a gun. I think Archie Bunker had it right...give everyone a gun and train them on its proper use and care...if they fail to do this, then punish them for the failure...

Please do not take a stand on something you do not details of.

It is not mandatory in Switzerland to own a gun...

To own a gun one needs a permit, which is granted for owning a maximum of three weapons. For getting the permit, one needs to meet to requirements. Everyone over the age of 18 who is not psychiatrically disqualified (such as having had a history of endangering his own life or the lives of others) or identified as posing security problems, and who has a clean criminal record can get the permit. The background checks are strong there.

Automatic weapons, silencers, some other weapons are forbidden from sale. Special permits are granted (these need to meet other requirements for example owning a special locker for the gun and etc)

Probably you took the myth of mandatory guns from the militia.

Every guy between 20 and 30 needs to go to military (if no psychological problems). Each such individual is required to keep his army-issued personal weapon (the 5.56x45mm Sig 550 rifle for enlisted personnel and/or the 9mm SIG-Sauer P220 semi-automatic pistol for officers, military police, medical and postal personnel) at home or (as of 2010) in the local armoury (Zeughaus). After the trainings these people and in the reserve until 30. During that period they are required to keep a gun at home or at local armoury. After they are 30, they are not in the reserve anymore. They are given option whether to keep a gun or not. Although in order to keep, a licence is needed for it.

Switzerland is a small country and that is how their military works. Every person is required to do gun training there also. Everything is for the fast response. If somebody attack in every community there is part of the reserve in order to defend it.

The culture is so different from US. They are much more of community and less individualistic than most Americans. These countries are simply uncomparable. In US far more people are only in for themselves, In Switzerland there is much more we than I. If something was banned then even when some people may not like the idea, they understand that even when I might lose something because of it, we as a community win from it, our country wins from it.

I did not mean to offends US or generalise too much in anyway (there are all kinds people and communities that differ from each other a lot) although the cultural difference exists.
edit on 21-4-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
So it was comedians that came up with gun control! By trying to get cheap laughs, liberals didn't understand it was comedy! NOW I understand!

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey

In Switzerland, it is mandatory to own a gun.

Rubbish.

Gun politics in Switzerland

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The problem isnt gun laws not working, cause they do. The problem is states states in the south that sell guns at gun shows with no background checks and gun dealers who do the same. Whats the point of banning guns in one state when a criminal can drive 30 minutes to another state and buy his gun there? If ALL gun sellers were supposed to keep a registry of who buys what gun we wouldnt have this problem.

It doesnt take a criminal mastermind to realize that if they drive to some republican controlled state they can get guns for their entire gang with little to no hassle. Not to mention the fact that its alot cheaper to drive down to say, south carolina and buy 5 guns there for the price of 1 gun from a black market dealer in a major city.

Also, its safer for the criminals to buy guns from a gun dealer because of the fact that they arent allowed to keep a list of who buys the gun. If you buy a gun in a big city from some thug and the cops catch him 9/10 times he'll rat on you to get a reduced sentence, But if you buy a gun from a gun store in a red state the government will NEVER KNOW.
edit on 23-4-2013 by MastaShake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

Why don't they just OUTLAW MURDER?

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by totallackey

The opinion of a doctor could eliminate the ability of a person to legally own a gun...

Didn't Stalin do something very similar in Russia?

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo007
Jon Stewart job is to poke fun at things in the media lets not forget that.

The only thing more gun control laws will do is make law abiding citizens have to jump through hoops. Soon as we compromise on one thing they will never stop wanting more laws to make it harder for Americans to own firearms. Look at all the gun laws cities like Chicago have, does it stop criminals from finding guns or stop people from killing someone using a firearm.

Does Chicago have border control? Every car entering the city being controlled?

If not, then your argument about Chicago is flawed.

They might have strict gun laws for getting a gun there, but when criminals want they take a small trip to Indiana or Wisconsin, which are not that far from Chicago in Illionis.There are not hard gun laws, at least based on information in Wiki. Getting a gun needs no licence, so the criminal goes there for a day, buys some guns or has a friend buy them and comes back armed ...

In order for any strict gun law to work the area where the law is at must be isolated in a way, so that people could not bring in guns. The open border makes such law impossible to work at. Kind of like: "Oh, I can´t buy drugs from here, I´ll just take a 100-mile trip to the other country, where it is legal and stock up there..."

I remember when EU did not exist. When going from one European country to another, every single car was thoroghly searched with scanners and drug dogs in order to ensure that no drugs or illegal things are imported to the country where you enter. In that way strict gun control can work and ensure that criminals can not get guns, otherwise they just get a gun from nearest place where it is legal and import it in...

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MastaShake

The problem isnt gun laws not working, cause they do. The problem is states states in the south that sell guns at gun shows with no background checks and gun dealers who do the same.

and this alone invalidates your post........this is a myth spread by agenda pushing politicians , and even at that , the information on it is seriously outdated, like pre-yr2000

edit on 23-4-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by renegadeloser

We share a border with mexico. A country in a state of near anarchy, partially controlled by large criminal syndicates. A country across who's border billions of dollars worth of illicit goods, and 10's of thousands of people are smuggled each year. We live in country with large gangs, who control territories to a greater degree then the government.

Great point, although it is my viewpoint that both governments (the US and Mexico) are absolutely controlled by criminal syndicates...

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join