learn more

Jon Stewart explains flaws in gun control laws

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

You do know that if a criminal in Chicago wants a gun..he can just go to another state to get one and return to Chicago.

Why..because it is just so damn easy for them to get guns in America that it is ridiculous. The gun control there is failing because other cities and states are not following suit. Their lack of control makes it easy for criminals to access guns. It would work if other states did the same.

Australia and Canada are great examples.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Your guns and your bullheadedness in defense of them are the problem. Gun owners aren't a problem at all.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
reply to post by seeker1963

If criminals don't obey laws then why have laws in the first place?

I'm not sure I can make it any simpler for you.

stealing is the act of taking from another. it is quantifiably wrong. gun control on the other hand, deprives ONLY those who obey the laws.

we have laws against stealing because it is actually WRONG! just as we have laws against MURDER because it is wrong. selling private property to another individual is not wrong.

preventing that sale just because "something might happen down the road" (jon stewart) is wrong.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

Most states do not allow out of state purchasers.

For example if you have a California ID and try to buy a gun in Nevada you will be turned away.
You should spend more time reviewing gun laws and how they affect certain states than watching a comedy show and calling it research.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Your guns and your bullheadedness in defense of them are the problem. Gun owners aren't a problem at all.

that's like saying "those who have their property stolen are the problem, not the thieves themselves". the solution is obvious, ban ownership in all forms!

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

This comedic scum bag is part of the progressive PTB agenda to brainwash our youth. It all seems like fun and games until you look a little deeper this man is a paid propaganda expert.

He is morally bankrupt.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Hmmm, a quick Google search brings up:

Australian Gun Ban Facts & Statistics

In which it is noted:

Accidental gun deaths are 300% higher than the pre-1997 ban rate

The assault rate has increased 800% since 1991, and increased 200% since the 1997 gun ban.

Robbery and armed robbery have increase 20% from the pre-97 ban rate.

From immediately after the ban was instituted in 1997 through 2002, the robbery and armed robbery rate was up 200% over the pre-ban rates.

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 171 percent.

Reported sexual assaults have increased by 51 percent since 1995, at an average of four percent each year.

After we banned guns in 1997, people murdered by guns decreased by 10%. On the other hand, people murdered by knives increased by 10%.

These numbers come from the Australian Institute of Criminology

You can't always trust a politician spewing stats that make his policies look good. The other day I heard some politician here in the US say that 90% of Americans want more gun control.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Please explain how my guns are a problem?

I'm a gun owner interested in preserving my rights, not just for me, but for my kids.

So obviously us gun owners are the problem. Since it is I and my guns, in your words, that are the problem.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

So let me get this straight. Criminals will obey state laws forbidding the selling of guns to out of stater's just not gun laws restricting them from lawfully getting a gun...

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

You can get illegal guns in Chicago.

It's called the black market, and it's easier than going to another state.

Criminals don't care about laws. But your typical Chicago citizen can't go to Texas, for instance and buy a gun without having established residency in that state. So your original argument is moot.

What is your argument anyway? Your ignorance of the law is astounding. And you ignorance of the relationship between laws and crime is even more so.

State gun shops will obey the law. That is what I'm saying. Since according to you it is so easy to get guns legally then these criminals should have no problem getting the gun shop to break the laws it must obey to remain in operation to get guns into Chicago..
edit on 20-4-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

Homicide weapon statistics

You will notice..gun homicides have dropped.

Decline in rates of crime victimisation

a drop from 55 per cent reported in the previous ICVS in 2000. Seventeen per cent of Australians were victims of crime in the preceding 12 months, down from 24 per cent in 2000. Comparing rates of victimisation within the preceding 12 months over the two time periods, all crimes with the exception of robbery and motorcycle theft declined in 2004, and those two remained stable

Victims of violent crime statistics

There were 282 victims of homicide in 2007: a 12 percent decrease from 2006 and the lowest number recorded in the past 12 years.

Assault

When it comes to assault..your more likely to know your assailant than not to. Only males were more likely to not know their assailant.

Where the relationship between victim and offender was stated, 81% of female victims of assault knew the offender, compared with 49% of male victims.
Assaults against females were more than twice as likely to be perpetrated by a family member as those against males.
Male victims were much more likely to have been assaulted by a stranger (51%) than female victims (19%).

Robbery statistics

Robberies rose again in 2007 to 17,988 from 17,284 in 2006 but remains lower than recorded in the early 2000s.

Thanks for the links..

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

How criminals get guns

The next biggest source of illegal gun transactions where criminals get guns are sales made by legally licensed but corrupt at-home and commercial gun dealers.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

All laws are only against law abiding people, AKA, people with conscience. A lock only keeps an honest person out of a home.

The point of the debate is the TOOL, not the person, so Stewart's reasoning is flawed. A person commits atrocities with a bomb, do we demand more laws regarding the bombs, or do we simply pursue the bomber? A person commits an atrocity with a machete, do we demand more laws concerning sharp-edged weapons, or do we simply pursue the slasher? Do you understand?

We have made everything into levels and we are sharply divided on all forms...differing degrees of murder, theft, etc...I hope one day, we can beat them all into plowshares...but until that day comes, the only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun...the trick part is identifying the good guy...

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

YEAH!!! Not only that, but our own Attorney General will make sure the drug runners down there in TX will have an adequate supply...Come on man/woman...get real...

Chicago has the toughest laws on guns in the country...it creates the black market...just like Prohibition created the rum runners and speakeasies...it is all about MONEY...and the love of it...

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko

How criminals get guns

The next biggest source of illegal gun transactions where criminals get guns are sales made by legally licensed but corrupt at-home and commercial gun dealers.

No doubt. But is that the majority of gun dealers? Nope.

The vast majority, like the vast majority of gun owners, are law abiding.
Criminals, generally speaking, are an aberration of society, not a rule of it.
They are always a minority. I do not understand and will not understand why
the majority of law abiding people in this country who own guns should be punished for
the crimes of an aberrant minority.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
America's problem is "gun culture", not guns..........

link   
reply to post by Connector

Define gun culture?

I think you and I have a very different definition of what that term entails.

Americas problem is it's refusal to address core issues without violating the rights of the individual.
Americas problem is that it would rather ban stuff to make it look like something is being done than to actually do something about the problems our society faces.
Americas problem is that we adhere to failed policies like drug control and gun control, and spend billions and billions never making a dent, meanwhile we never seem to understand that it is these policies that create the criminal element we are going broke and chaining ourselves up trying to stop.

edit on 20-4-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

link   
Consider this ...

Somebody, maybe a good friend of yours, makes this offer to you. You surrender your guns to him, and he promises to protect you. Whenever he is around, of course. If he's not around to protect you, then just let him know after the fact, and he'll see what he can do. In the past this person has promised to be "transparent" with you, a promise this person hasn't lived up to. Also, this person feels that he is legally entitled to kill you, if he feels the situation warrants it.

Further, after a few years, he'll hand the job over to someone else. Maybe someone you don't know or don't like. Someone who may be more or less inclined to protect you, and more or less inclined to kill you.

Does this seem like an offer you would take? I think I would pass. The US Constituion gives us that option.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

How are you punished? You own a weapon and universal background checks become law...how are you punished? Your life doesn't change in any way whatsoever. If you decide you want to give up your guns for money maybe that person you're selling to isn't as trustworthy as you want them to be.

You are not punished for stricter gun laws. You are not punished if the head of the ATF is nominated. You are not punished if 'legal' gun sellers are required to maintain an inventory of their guns.

You're not a victim. Stop acting like one.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko

If you are law abiding then why should you be worried about imaginary situations in the future?
edit on 20-4-2013 by kerazeesicko because: I CAN

Was this line or reasoning acceptable to you when the topic was NSA warrantless wiretaps?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join