Jon Stewart explains flaws in gun control laws

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Jon Stewart takes apart another of the argument that opponents of gun control brings out that I too find utterly disingenuous

Jon Stewart can at times be a freaking genius at times..
Then again when your talking about pro gunners...it isn't hard..

Also here is just a small clip. Hopefully you can watch his full segment on the above link.

Here is a quote about Jon Oliver and his interview with a pro gunner....

The second segment is the first part in a three part series with John Oliver. He started the segment talking to Philip Van Cleave from the Virginia Citizens Defense League about gun control. Van Cleave is adamantly against all forms of gun control. The other side of the argument is discussed with the former Prime Minister of Australia, The Honorable John Howard. When Howard was prime minister (he was conservative), his government passed sweeping gun control laws after a massacre. Since these laws were in place, there have been zero gun massacres and gun fatalities, both homicides and suicides, have dropped dramatically. Van Cleave’s response to the massacre data was “whoop-di-do”. He was trying to argue that there is no point in gun regulation because it cannot work, despite Olver giving him an example where it clearly did.

Full episode
The Daily Show (2013 04 18)

Click free user if asked...and watch it the first fifteen mins...its awesome..

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

You laugh and think you are funny by this clip? While in essence of what the clip is saying, is that due to the fact that criminals "steal" their guns that "in your opinion" it is the fault of those whom obey the laws and the FACT that criminals DO NOT OBEY THE LAWS!!!

You just keep on posting your anti gun opinions dude, because your arguments about how bad guns are and how you present them, just gives those of us who are not guilty of owning one more power because of the likes of you who are so overzealous of a political agenda that you are willing to criminalize those whom have never committed a crime!

You are the best weapon that those of us whom protect our second amendment rights can have, just because of your ignorance of the laws!

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

If criminals don't obey laws then why have laws in the first place?

I'm not sure I can make it any simpler for you.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

If criminals don't obey laws then why have laws in the first place?

I'm not sure I can make it any simpler for you.

What's your point?

Who creates laws?

Are those who create them subject to them in the same manner as us common folk?

So again, in reference to the OP, can you explain what you meant by that? I am seeing it as a kind of a riddle, so I really do not have an opinion on how to reply to you at the moment......

BTW, I already said in my first post that criminals do NOT obey the laws, so are you saying you support anarchy?

edit on 20-4-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

It's the point the video is trying to make. You don't think we should have more gun control because criminals won't abide by new laws.

It's a silly argument...which is what the video is saying.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

It's the point the video is trying to make. You don't think we should have more gun control because criminals won't abide by new laws.

Okay, then how about this? You and the OP give up your freedom of speech!!! You know, the first amendment???

That means you have no right to post you opinions on ATS!!!

If you want to throw out the word "silly", then how is that for you?

You find it acceptable to penalize those whom haven't committed ANY crime whom owns a weapon, so therefore I think it should be only fair that selfish and brainwashed people like you whom believe that people who own guns are guilty of being criminals for not wanting to give up their rights that those of us whom you expect to give those rights up, should only request that people like you whom are against our rights should have to give up one of yours????

Yea, I thought so! You don't like that one do you?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Jon Stewart job is to poke fun at things in the media lets not forget that.

The only thing more gun control laws will do is make law abiding citizens have to jump through hoops. Soon as we compromise on one thing they will never stop wanting more laws to make it harder for Americans to own firearms. Look at all the gun laws cities like Chicago have, does it stop criminals from finding guns or stop people from killing someone using a firearm.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

So what your saying is prohibition works right?

Think back to how the mob came to power.

Think about the most dangerous places to live in the country, you know, Chicago, LA, New Yor, Washington DC.....

All have the toughest gun laws around, all are hot beds of gun violence, perpetrated against the law abiding populous, that now has no ability to protect themselves with equal force.

No law has ever stopped a single rime from happening.

Hence the word criminals, they don't follow the law, only those that follow the law will respect more laws.

I guess though, since I am talking to one with an IQ lower than forest gumps, I shouldn't expect you to understand so complicated an issue as, the natural law of protection from predators.

I suppose taking away a gazelles ability to outrun the lions will result in fewer gazelles being eaten by lions every year also?

The above statement makes more sense than your idiotic ramblings.

Tools are not evil, they do not kill people, they have never once killed anyone.

People using tools to kill, causes the death of people.

More people die from hammers every year than most types of guns, so do many other every day items.

Why is it so important for you to take away guns?

Could it be that you are not interested in saving lives?

Your more interested in making all men victims?

Because that is the only result of what your promoting.

I will not give up my guns ever, under any situation, read my avi, take it to heart.

I will not give them up save one scenario, bullets first, then pried from my lifeless corpse, assuming of course my family doesn't just pick it up and continue the process.

Come for them, I want you to try it, please!!!!

Unlike most folks you will encounter, I am not bluffing, look at my ATS points to see if I give a flying crows crap about stupid rules or the consequences of my actions when I know my words and actions are just.

Some of us live life in the old manner, through hard work and honor, we do not compromise our values EVER, not under any circumstances.

I am one of the afore mentioned hard headed, steely eyed, immovable types.

Read some of my posts, you will soon see the truth of my words, as represented by my complete lack of wavering on my beliefs for any reason. I am an open book, I say what I mean, and do what I say.

I am more than wiling to bet money you cant say the same!

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Only time I will reply to you.

Another internet tough guy who has dreams of going out heroically in a gun fight when realistically one sharpshooters would take you out with one shot and no one else getting hurt.

But hey keep believing...

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Ok for you people who lack intelligence.

He was saying...your argument about why there should be no gun laws because criminals don't follow laws is flawed. Criminals don;t follow the do not steal law..yet we still have laws outlawing stealing...criminals do not follow do not murder laws yet we still have laws outlawing it. Why are you all against making it harder for criminals to access guns?

So your argument about criminals not obeying the gun law should apply to all laws...why have any then?

If getting a gun is hard for you under any said restrictions..then maybe you shouldn't have one.

If you are law abiding then why should you be worried about imaginary situations in the future? Do you drive or walk on the sidewalk...because in imaginary situations..you can get into an accident or run over.

By imaginary situations..I mean...if we allow gun restrictions..then they will just ban you all from getting guns...IMAGINARY SITUATION.
edit on 20-4-2013 by kerazeesicko because: I CAN

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Left wing demigod Stewart speaks, so it must be 1. True and 2. Ir refutable

It's all good now. Stewart, god of all things liberal, has spoken. And therefore all things he says are true regardless of whether he has the complete story or not.

edit on 20-4-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
Okay, then how about this? You and the OP give up your freedom of speech!!! You know, the first amendment???

That means you have no right to post you opinions on ATS!!!

If you want to throw out the word "silly", then how is that for you?

Yea, I thought so! You don't like that one do you?

I do like that one though! The first amendment is a great example of the absurdity of the 'right' of individuals to bear arms. We don't allow that right to felons, do we? We don't allow that right to children either. We don't allow people convicted of domestic violence the right to bear arms. Illegal alien status and dishonorable discharge also prevent you from owning a gun.

The first amendment, however, applies to everyone equally. We don't pick and choose who gets to say what. We may disagree with it. In some cases we suggest they not say it at all. There's very few laws that prevent anyone from saying anything.

You find it acceptable to penalize those whom haven't committed ANY crime whom owns a weapon, so therefore I think it should be only fair that selfish and brainwashed people like you whom believe that people who own guns are guilty of being criminals for not wanting to give up their rights that those of us whom you expect to give those rights up, should only request that people like you whom are against our rights should have to give up one of yours????

I wanted to address this paragraph seperately.

I don't find it acceptable to penalize anyone who hasn't done anything wrong. Universal background checks aren't prorated to do that either. Maybe we should maintain a 'cool down' period for people who want to murder their neighbors or their cheating spouses. Better yet, maybe Uncle Bob shouldn't let his bullied 18 year old nephew buy his old semi-auto rifle to shoot a school up. I generally believe a responsible gun owner doesn't leave their weapons unlocked and loaded in easily accessible areas.

I don't want to make you a criminal. I just don't want your stupid decisions putting me and my community in danger.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234

Yea but its only a silly argument if the brain is running at low speed, first layer or two of the onion.

Criminals dont abide, thats why cops carry guns.

Plus stealing isnt protected by a constitutional amendment. There is no, zero, moral or logical equivalency here between gun ownership and what criminals do.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

I don't want to make you a criminal. I just don't want your stupid decisions putting me and my community in danger.

And folks this is the typical attitude of anti-gunners.

Blame the law abiding gun owner. We're the problem right? Just come out and say it and stop trying to convince us it's not something we've clearly shown it to be.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Only time I will reply to you.

Another internet tough guy who has dreams of going out heroically in a gun fight when realistically one sharpshooters would take you out with one shot and no one else getting hurt.

But hey keep believing...

Wow, kerazze, is this your vision for gun owners is it?

This is why, at some point, those that do not understand and support the 2nd amendment cant be trusted to comment about it or move against it.

Its like the amendment outlawing slavery. At some point it is going to mean more to a black man in this country than my white self. At some point i would have to defer comentary to the folks that benift from it the most or show the roots of their freedom therein.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

The only people refuting Australian gun control facts are by pro guners .Even in your article it states..they are true..yet refute the truth with nonsense....FACT = deaths by guns down...gun massacres have not happened since gun control was in place.

Australia's gun controls a political template for the U.S.

Gun Control in Australia

Oh yes another gun myth from above article.

Japan had no thought of invading the U.S. mainland, and the idea it was deterred from such an invasion by fear of homeowners with guns in their closets is historically absurd.
(Note: The author alludes to a belief, widely held by supporters of gun rights, that Japan’s WW II Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto advised his country’s leaders against invading the U.S., supposedly saying "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." This alleged quote appears literally thousands of times in various Internet postings. So far we have seen none that cite any source, or even give a specific time, date or place where Yamamoto is supposed to have said or written this. We invite any of our readers who can validate this remark to send us a citation that we can check out. Until then we must classify this alleged quote as unverified and probably a fabrication.)

and more
Guns do not make us safer. Why is this not obvious?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Not all...just those type of gun owners. The fanatical ones.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

How about gun massacres in Chicago? Chicago has the most strict gun laws of any city anywhere in the US. They don't even allow gun shops to operate within city limits.

They happen every single day.

2nd Australia is not the US. Australia does not have a Constitution that protects the right of the people to own guns. What Australia did was outright ban guns for all but a select few. I assure you Australia will have another massacre. It's only a matter of time, not of legislation.

How about Mexico?

Mexico has thousands of murders by guns every single year. They outnumber the US by quite a bit and they have a total ban on private ownership of weapons.

The article I posted pointed out one glaring fact that you and left wing demigod Stewart ignore. Correlation does not equal causation.
edit on 20-4-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
You know what is also a stupid myth...guns stop crime.

Let us compare stories of guns stopping crime..to guns used in crime. The fact is the stories are so few in actually stopping crime..then it is compared to being used in a crime.

You can blame lack of coverage and other BS...but there just is so few out there of people stopping crime with guns...there are more stories of people stopping crime with bats, knives....hell even children stopping crime by phoning 911.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
www.thedailyshow.com...

no need to download the show, here's a link you can stream after an ad.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join