It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch this! [Epic]

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by johncarter

Now imagine standing on the taxiway next to the runway, about the 9,000 foot mark (right where the nose gear comes unstuck), while four of those do that, 30 seconds apart. THAT is epic. My chest didn't stop vibrating for a good two minutes after #4 was airborne, and my hearing didn't come back completely for a couple minutes after that.

You mean something like this? (Once again those of u who love these mothers, throttle up on your volume and enjoy)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

For Christ sake don't tell THEM that!

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Closer. No video will do it justice though. Your entire body, the ground you're standing on, and everything around you is shaking so bad it's not funny. It's the most amazing thing to get to watch.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

When the Vulcans were being retired they did some flyby's at various points around the country, one was at RAF Strike Command which i lived next door to at the time, several of them came over at very low lvl (seemed to be just above tree top height) and you could feel your chest cavity going with the roar coming out of the engines.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I was stationed at DMAFB for a lot of years. One thing they do every year at DM is Heritage Flight. They have demo teams from all over the country come in to practice before the air show season begins. One year we had an F-16 from the East Coast demo team (I watched them all of the time when I was stationed at Shaw AFB... so I saw this coming), rip directly over our hangar between two stadium light poles... could not have been more than 100 ft off the deck, full burner and screaming fast. We were outside watching and thought it was truly awesome... then we found out that, our boss, who's office we share inside of the hangar, wasn't a happy camper about this... Scared him so bad he dumped the scalding hot bowl of soup that was to be his lunch, right square in the crotch. Made it twice as funny

edit on 20-4-2013 by madmac5150 because: Transient ideopathic stupidity

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Closer. No video will do it justice though. Your entire body, the ground you're standing on, and everything around you is shaking so bad it's not funny. It's the most amazing thing to get to watch.

No doubt... like watching alert F-16s scream off the runway at 0400 in the AM... as soon as they clear the deck it's gear up, then damn near straight up... we would sit outside our alert shack and watch em go... every fiber of your being gets shaken apart

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tallcool1
This thread is full of awesome! 1st- JohnCarters sack-grabbing awesome video followed by the next awesome thruster take off by Cody and then Cody's dot on the exclamation mark with the roaring pistons flyby...

My wife thinks I'm such a geek for loving this kind of thing. I even like to watch regular commercial jets take off. What I wouldn't give to have been there for that first video though...just awesome!

Well if you really like that video....why not let you step inside a B-1

Here you go....enjoy..

Should you change your mind I could offer you a HD ride in a Typhoon

Crank up the sound cause this ride rocks.

edit on 20-4-2013 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Oh how I miss those days. The B-1 has seen many improvements over the years, but it will never live up to what it was meant to do. They screwed it up completely when they only gave it three generators instead of four. We had five sitting on the ramp one night. One was from Kansas, and had been left over Christmas with an engine problem (ended up having to change the engine on it), four were out of Singapore heading home to CONUS. They had to choose between navigation and deicing on climb out, and all four had taken ice down an engine. Three of the four just needed blade changes (pull the engine back, take the bad blade out, put the new ones in, slide it back in, about three hours per engine), one took so much damage that it needed a complete engine change. Made for some beautiful launches as they were finishing the work at night, and launching as they finished.

One of them launched on a night when it was cloudy. He went into the clouds as soon as he was airborne, and light the whole sky up, reflecting off the clouds. We were at the base harbor one 4th of July, and one unexpectedly departed right before the fireworks started. Put the rest of the night to shame.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I was there for that show

Car alarms went off, women and children cried and he took out some windows as well in a nearby assembly building. Full combat power take off. Loudest thing I ever heard. Made a B-1 sound quiet.
edit on 21/4/13 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewsWorthy
Wish I knew somewhere it was legal to do that around here (Vallejo)....
I'd welcome whatever security stuff I'd have to go through if they'd let me an my kids do that just once, that's gotta be a rush.

Just visit me sometime. I am 6 miles from a small airport and those blasted planes fly right over my house. Sometimes I think they mistakenly fly too low over my house since it is on the opposite end of a valley. Had the carp scared out of me just 2 days ago.

Once around the time of a show a huge old war plane was about 15 feet over my house. My house bricks cracked right down the middle of my house. I told the controllers that I could read the writing in HUGE letters that were perfectly visible. They didn't believe me until I recited the planes numbers. Not kewl... My elderly neighbor was scared out of her wits and thought it was an earthquake.

edit on 21-4-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
There will be nothing in aviation to pull at my heart strings more effectively than the sound of a Merlin in flight.

Having said that, seeing B-1 take off and immediately adopt about a 55 degree climb in full burner is still to date one of the more amazing things I've seen.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Nice footage. B-1B certainly gets going.

If you wanted to see the loudest aircraft on the Navy side, you likely missed out. You would have had to been around when the F-14s were still flying. (I was on a carrier back in '01 with the second to last squadron of them.) Even the newest Super Hornets don't compare to them in some regards. (But from the maintenance and upkeep perspective, you can't blame the Navy for retiring it.)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I think this video belongs here:

(lots of relatively hard landings, at some moments the plane is sliding sideways).
edit on 22/4/13 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by johncarter

Originally posted by tallcool1
This thread is full of awesome! 1st- JohnCarters sack-grabbing awesome video followed by the next awesome thruster take off by Cody and then Cody's dot on the exclamation mark with the roaring pistons flyby...

My wife thinks I'm such a geek for loving this kind of thing. I even like to watch regular commercial jets take off. What I wouldn't give to have been there for that first video though...just awesome!

Well if you really like that video....why not let you step inside a B-1

Here you go....enjoy..

Should you change your mind I could offer you a HD ride in a Typhoon

Crank up the sound cause this ride rocks.

Hmmm.... Lots of heavy breathing going on in that cockpit! Can't say I blame him though
Is that kinda thing even allowed up there? (I'd love to hear the English translation) Looks like a pleasurable ride. Definitely gets the blood pumping just watching. I can only imagine how incredible he must feel.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

There aren't any other heavy bombers I can think of that can climb like that straight from take off.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join