It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does Boston celebrate Martial Law with chants of ‘USA, USA’?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by porschedrifter
They were asking people to stay inside, they weren't arrested for going outside.

Even sadder then.

All they had to do was ask, and people gave up their liberties willingly.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by buckrogerstime

I really hate "beezzer" threads. We will never know if the draconian actions helped or hurt the investigation and conclusion to the case.

What we do know is that liberties were suspended.

And that is never good. Now some may find an easy justification to cede authority to government. But any time liberties are inhibited by government, then their actions become suspect.

Simply put, you're looking for justification for doing something wrong in order to do something right.

Yeah, and you don't have to look very far for a justification, since there was an unpredictable terrorist on the loose who posed a clear and present threat to the city.

Anyway, I gotta sign off this thing for a bit. I strongly disagree with your points in this thread, but I at least respect that you seem to understand there is always an inevitable tension between civil liberties and basic security concerns. A lot of people on this forum don't seem to understand that.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It wasn't sad, they had an armed suspect on the loose, who could have planted more IEDs around town. I think the authorities didn't want any more bloodshed until they fully understood how many people were involved.

They did find 7 more IEDs while combing the town searching, it was justified.

edit on 20-4-2013 by porschedrifter because: (no reason given)

There's a big difference from being ordered to stay inside and being arrested/shot on sight if seen outside, than to be asked to stay inside because it's not safe to be outside.
edit on 20-4-2013 by porschedrifter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by porschedrifter
They were asking people to stay inside, they weren't arrested for going outside.

Even sadder then.

All they had to do was ask, and people gave up their liberties willingly.

Yep, it is sad, and just as sad looking at some of the comments on here, people are willingly supportive of the government taking away their rights.

"for the greater good"

Keep on telling yourself that when the goons invade your home.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I was thinking the very same thing. Not one of the idiots on camera had any clue that they were cheering the fact that their entire neighborhood had been put under martial law. Their homes were illegally searched, they were forcibly evacuated from their legal dwellings, and barred from returning home in many cases. Their reaction was first fear and then ecstasy. They were more than simply unwitting participants...they were jubilant participants.

Frightening. Terrifying in its implications for future outcomes.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Seeing those soldiers and police marching down the street. Oh boy am I ever glad I got the hell out of the city. I might not be completely removed from this sort of thing, but I'm far enough away to put plans into action if someone is coming my way. I'll live free, or I'll die. It's better to die on your feet, then on your knees a slave.

All of those people took part in a great experiment of fear induced obedience. Looks like the final grade came up A+.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Oh really?

What was the message yesterday?

Go into your houses and lock your doors. The police and soliders are in control. You do not fight, you stay in your home. WE will fight, we are in control.

Is that what American citizens want? I guess so, because they stood aside and let their homes be illegally searched over and over again.

No one sees how they are weakening us as a nation.

Take away jobs, take away money, enslave us and put us on welfare and food stamps. Keep us down in the dirt. Take the guns. Then they take control. Watch us with drones. Lie to us repeatedly.

I don't care if a mad man is on the loose. You don't line people up and search their homes. So many people say it's not Marshall law. Sorry, but that is exactly what it was and so many people were willing to go along with this.
edit on 20-4-2013 by Aisling because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-4-2013 by Aisling because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Was there any lockdown of New York hours after 9/11 ?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Is it necessary for police to use APC's, Humvees and soldiers wearing full tactical gear looking like they're on deployment to get one guy? Has something like this ever been done for one guy? I don't think so. I think this was a show of force, showing people what they can expect in the near future.

Then I see all those people chanting, applauding and cheering and I felt kinda physically ill. Choosing to be locked up in their homes because all those men with big guns and tanks said so?

"So this is how liberty dies.... with thunderous applause."

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Boston is part of the progressive liberal central nervous system in the U.S. along with New York, Chicago, San Francisco and a few others.

This week's experiment was a success. Whether the bombing was a false flag or not, the tragedy was capitalized on by the government with startling success.

The trial of quasi-martial law, was tested in a major city, and worked. Next time it will be a larger city and then an entire state. It's only a matter of time, and these people know what they're doing; we aren't dealing with dunces here.

I expect full martial law to have been fully tested and perfected within the next 20 years. Permanent implementation to follow.
edit on 4/20/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

edit on 4/20/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Boston's event was NOT martial law. They REQUESTED everyone stay indoors, but I don't think anybody would have been arrested and locked up if they had chosen to leave. I think I even heard that some people did get out and about at the chagrin of law enforcement.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Razziazoid
Is it necessary for police to use APC's, Humvees and soldiers wearing full tactical gear looking like they're on deployment to get one guy? Has something like this ever been done for one guy? I don't think so. I think this was a show of force, showing people what they can expect in the near future.

Then I see all those people chanting, applauding and cheering and I felt kinda physically ill. Choosing to be locked up in their homes because all those men with big guns and tanks said so?

"So this is how liberty dies.... with thunderous applause."

Probably because no attack like this has ever happened before in America. I would hope they take what they learned from this and if something like it happens ever again they will have a better understanding of what works and what doesnt.

I can tell you are very serious though since you quote a recent Star Wars movie.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

I used that quote because it was the only good part in that godforsaken trilogy. It's also quite applicable in this situation. This doesn't make my argument any less valid, debating 101 my friend.

Oklahoma was worse
9/11 was worse

I didn't see apc's or soldiers searching houses then, so why should they for one man today?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
-Yeah, kinda sad and a bit scary. What scares me the most however, is the blood-lust I see on my FB page (from peaceful people) in regards to the suspect. What scares me further is the media attention and hype and the knowledge that this breeds killers and idiots trying to "top" the other idiots.

-So much scares me about this it isnt funny- Terrifies me.

The way this was handled (martial law) the questions which were not asked, the hero worship, the chants, the blood-lust , the vengeance, the hype and the potential copycats who are watching this all unfold and begining to plan their own claim to fame.

-Blood Chilling. All of it.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofswords
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Boston's event was NOT martial law. They REQUESTED everyone stay indoors, but I don't think anybody would have been arrested and locked up if they had chosen to leave. I think I even heard that some people did get out and about at the chagrin of law enforcement.

They utilized a DHS Shelter in Place order. While people were not shot on sight or anything if caught outside during the order, there WERE arrests and releases, there WERE casual searches performed in people's homes. It's a fine line if you ask me.
edit on 4/20/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: added quote

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Wonder what will happen if they do this in a smaller, conservative community?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Razziazoid
reply to post by opethPA

I used that quote because it was the only good part in that godforsaken trilogy. It's also quite applicable in this situation. This doesn't make my argument any less valid, debating 101 my friend.

Oklahoma was worse
9/11 was worse

I didn't see apc's or soldiers searching houses then, so why should they for one man today?

I don't think you can really compare Oklahoma City and 9/11 to this..
They really arent the same to me. In both cases their wasnt a feeling that more could happen.

Best part of the new trilogy was the end when Vader stands up and yells in a very Simpsons like voice.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
These bombings could possibly go on and on ...........being the perfect excuse to bring in martial law bit by bit ,if a bomb is discovered ,and found to contain commercial gunpowder ,could be a perfect excuse to ban gunpowder sales and jump on gunowners as the suspects ,and get the public attitude swayed against gunowners as evil terrorists

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well, I don't live in Boston and can't imagine what that community must have gone through, especially if you have children. Martial law, the constitution, law, all have their place. But for that day, for the life of me, I would not know how to diffuse a bomb. So, I would gladly stay indoors and let the brave ones do it.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

In terms of public shock value they were a lot worse. I might have understood such a over the top reaction by the state during 9/11. But conjuring up so much equipment and show of force to catch one guy who has some pipe bombs? Home made stuff?

Remember when they searched the apartment of James Holmes after the Aurora shootings? They were scared of a booby trap, there wasn't such a big response for that.

No, for some reason APC's and Humvees were rolling through the street, soldiers armed to the teeth searching houses (whether you wanted it or not). It just doesn't make sense.

They declared martial law during Katrina, now that I can understand, to keep a city from going completely nuts, but for this? It wasn't even declared but it SURE AS HELL felt like it.
edit on 20/4/2013 by Razziazoid because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join