It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does Boston celebrate Martial Law with chants of ‘USA, USA’?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ss830

Families brought out of their homes at gun point, made to raise their hands up by swat teams.
and then commencing the warrant-less search of their homes.

This is in America and were letting this happen with out even a protest.

When will we march to our capitals and protest this sort of action, to show our "representatives" that we will not tolerate them treating us like this.
edit on 21-4-2013 by ss830 because: (no reason given)

I'm right there with you I'd march anywhere and protest till they shoot me dead whats happeing in America has been going on long enough either we stand up and stop it or we will continue sinking while our rights our stripped away one by one

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by juicebox

I'll agree with you that "lock down" might be too harsh a term for what happened. Look how many people complied to the request though. Your city was shut down. That's a day of lost economy for half the city. Those are serious economic consequences, especially for business owners. You also can't deny that peoples rights were violated or just plain ignored here. Forced strip searches, home searches without a warrant, etc. At the point this was happening, the Feds and alphabet agencies had taken over. This means the government was infringing on your liberties and you (as a city) embraced it? That frightens me that we, as a people, are so willing to look away when we are being taken advantage of, if the conditions are right. That means that the government is aware of, and will take advantage of, just how much it can get away with if there's a pretext of fear to bandy about. Speak up now or there will be a time when it will be far too late to do anything.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Yes, fortunately there are still a lot of people not wiling to sacrifice the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution for a bit of security.

I don't think this incident is necessarily about gun control, as disarming the populace doesn't seem to have much to do with the bomb plot. Gun control would have no impact on whether or not these bombs went off. Still the door to door search is a bit creepy.
edit on 21-4-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

I haven't written a book about it or anything, but I'm pretty sure local police have been conducting door-to-door searches for violent criminals for hundreds of years. As another poster pointed out, they did it on The Andy Griffith Show.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ffrealmsrider
I'll agree with you that "lock down" might be too harsh a term for what happened. Look how many people complied to the request though. Your city was shut down. That's a day of lost economy for half the city. Those are serious economic consequences, especially for business owners. You also can't deny that peoples rights were violated or just plain ignored here. Forced strip searches, home searches without a warrant, etc. At the point this was happening, the Feds and alphabet agencies had taken over. This means the government was infringing on your liberties and you (as a city) embraced it? That frightens me that we, as a people, are so willing to look away when we are being taken advantage of, if the conditions are right. That means that the government is aware of, and will take advantage of, just how much it can get away with if there's a pretext of fear to bandy about. Speak up now or there will be a time when it will be far too late to do anything.

I feel you on this. When I was a teenager, a large fire engulfed my city. I really wish the firefighters had let my parents go work in a flaming office building, so they could run their business and make some cash.
edit on 21-4-2013 by buckrogerstime because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

reply to post by juicebox

Yeah we should speak up and act as well the government knows how we will forsake our rights if we're a afraid so now if/when (I have my money on when) this happens again they already know how much they can get away with which is a whole lot

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by buckrogerstime

Yes, fortunately there are still a lot of people not wiling to sacrifice the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution for a bit of security.

I don't think this incident is necessarily about gun control, as disarming the populace doesn't seem to have much to do with the bomb plot. Gun control would have no impact on whether or not these bombs went off. Still the door to door search is a bit creepy.
edit on 21-4-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

I haven't written a book about it or anything, but I'm pretty sure local police have been conducting door-to-door searches for violent criminals for hundreds of years. As another poster pointed out, they did it on The Andy Griffith Show.

I'm not sure why they picked on that house in particular. Did they go to the next one and drag all the people out of there too? Did they do gown the street pulling everyone out at gun point?

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   

I'm not sure why they picked on that house in particular. Did they go to the next one and drag all the people out of there too? Did they do gown the street pulling everyone out at gun point?

I'm not sure either. Perhaps they had probable cause.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by buckrogerstime

I feel you on this. When I was a teenager, a large fire engulfed my city. I really wish the firefighters had let my parents go work in a flaming office building, so they could run their business and make some cash.
edit on 21-4-2013 by buckrogerstime because: (no reason given)

A little off topic but I'll bite. Try being a small business owner trying to make up for even a day of lost economy. it usually ends up with people getting laid off at the end of a quarter and no cushy bonus checks come the end of the year. This does matter, considering our economic woes.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

A little off topic but I'll bite. Try being a small business owner trying to make up for even a day of lost economy. it usually ends up with people getting laid off at the end of a quarter and no cushy bonus checks come the end of the year. This does matter, considering our economic woes.

Don't worry: not that off-topic. Nearly everyone feels an enormous pressure to work and go to school, even when it runs against common sense (because there is a major fire or dangerous ongoing criminal pursuit). It is precisely because of that pressure that the city had to formally advise all Bostonians to stay home.

If you think it's hard making up for a day of lost economy, try being a small business owner who suffered third-degree burns all over your body because you went to work in a major emergency.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by buckrogerstime

This wasn't a city wide fire. It was a 20 block manhunt. I fail to see your comparison.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   

This wasn't a city wide fire. It was a 20 block manhunt. I fail to see your comparison.

You're right. It's not quite an appropriate analogy, because fires are at least predictable in magnitude and direction. Here, 1) we had a suspect with the known intent and ability to injure and kill hundreds of innocent civilians; 2) a suspect who could have taken hostages in cars, buses, MBTA cars, and trains; and 3) police had no idea what sort of weapons/explosives he was carrying or whether he had already placed them in multiple locations.

Also, Boston is actually quite a small city, and it's easy to get across the entire town in 15 minutes (even in rush hour).

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Anybody remember the manhunt for that guy Andrew Cunanan who went on a national killing spree and ended up in Miami after killing Gianni Versace? They didnt tell everone in Miami to hole up, and the cops found him holed up where? In a boat.
edit on 21-4-2013 by Spader because: Edit for spelling

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

That had happened when they lifted the lockdown before they cought the suspect. Its just another case of americans going over the top both in the reaction of the way the police/govt dealt with the whole thing and that of the people.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spader
Anybody remember the manhunt for that guy Andrew Cunanan who went on a national killing spree and ended up in Miami after killing Gianni Versace? They didnt tell everone in Miami to hole up, and the cops found him holed up where? In a boat.
edit on 21-4-2013 by Spader because: Edit for spelling

Boston PD didn't ask people to stay in their homes for the first four days after the bombing, when they were presumably still searching for the suspects. They only did it in direct response to the suspects engaging in lengthy and multiple firefights with possible explosives on public streets. And then they ended it once they determined he did not pose a threat to the public at large (but before they even caught him).

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I think a few people are getting caught up in the semantics of the words "Martial Law".

I can't speak for everyone in this discussion, but i know for myself that i have used those words figuratively rather than literally.

I know that Marshal law wasn't officially enacted in Boston and i know what has to happen for Marshal Law to be enacted.

One thing though that i feel Boston have proved. Is that they don't have to declare marshal law for it's citizens to comply willingly to staying in their homes and having their homes searched. All you need is a fearful situation and Bob's your uncle, everyone will do as the Police, FBI and National Guard say, without question and they will get cheered for their efforts.

Imagine if you will, that this was a test. A test to see how well a city will respond in a crisis situation, a test to see whether citizens will obey without question when told what to do. You have all passed the test, but not in a good way. You have shown the Government that you will do whatever they will say willingly and without question to catch a boogeyman (real or orchestrated).

As some people on here have already said. This sets a worrying precedent for future situations. I can see this being used again and again and the lines will get more blurry as time goes on.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elostone
This is how people who don't own guns act. They must rely on others/the police/the government to go outback and check their shed to make sure there isn't a boogey man in it for them, while they hole up inside their house until they're told it's OK to come out.

Imo guns have nothing to do with it. A lot of them would have had guns. But the fact is that when they were told to bend over, the response was to ask 'how far'. Morons like this will all be shouting 'Praise to fema' - even as they are being carted off.
Funny how a man supposedly got carjacked by these desperados yet was released unharmed. Nor did that idiot guy who lifted the boat tarp come to any harm.
He missed a good trick there. He could have probably made a citizens arrest without all that gung ho firepower. He could have sold his story for megabucks and the suspect wouldn't have been half blown away by trigger happy 'heros'.
edit on 21-4-2013 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Last night in Boston, following the apprehension of a 19 year old student suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, crowds poured on to the streets of Watertown and surrounding boroughs, celebrating what they believe was an end of their terrible ordeal which began on Monday.

In what looked more like an post-game celebration following a Boston Celtics NBA championship, or a Red Sox World Series victory - major media reported the communal outpouring of national pride where resident could be seen with painted faces, brandishing American flags, and heard shouting “USA, USA

www.dailypaul.com...

I get the relief ot the manhunt ending, but what I don't get chanting USA,USA.

Given the fact no one knows if they have the right guy, they arrested a suspect,

They have no clue about the motivation behind the bombings.

In fact most people don't know anything, but that sure doesn't stop them chanting USA,USA!

What am I missing?

edit on 20-4-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Typical Stupid American Behaviour influenced by the Media, that the Majority of Americans fall for time, and time and time again.

I sat over here in Scotland DISGUSTED..
How does anyone know it was a 2 man cell?
How does anyone know the kid did anything?
How?

Good OP
10/10
I understand the people of Boston's relief.
But who's to say there isn't another 10 people, or 20 people within some Cell somewhere?

Idiots!!

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
OK.

Put your hands up if you really want to die at the hands of an idiot who has no problem with blowing up a street full of people or killing a cop, has no problems with car jacking someone and who may very well be armed and dangerous, wearing a suicide vest and could have remote triggers to any number of devices around a city.

Anyone? No?

OK. Which of your family members do you want to die at that persons hands as they are hop-skipping and jumping down the street in la-la land while this guy is on the loose in their neighbourhood?

Any of them? No?

Maybe your work colleagues?

No?

Come on folks - who do you want to see die?

No-one?

Well in that case, THINK. Thats why the Police did this. To make sure that no one did, and to make sure that the person who had already done that didn't get away.

Its not martial law. If it was it would still be in place. It isn't. Its called a manhunt. It happens from time to time when bad people do bad things. Those people you are deriding there - they could have been walking into a wired building, exposed to IED's or shot, and they're doing that so that YOU don't do that.

And in the end, they caught the guy.

Now you can knock that all you want, but thats why they did what they did.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deceasedfantasy

Originally posted by ss830

Families brought out of their homes at gun point, made to raise their hands up by swat teams.
and then commencing the warrant-less search of their homes.

This is in America and were letting this happen with out even a protest.

When will we march to our capitals and protest this sort of action, to show our "representatives" that we will not tolerate them treating us like this.
edit on 21-4-2013 by ss830 because: (no reason given)

I'm right there with you I'd march anywhere and protest till they shoot me dead whats happeing in America has been going on long enough either we stand up and stop it or we will continue sinking while our rights our stripped away one by one

You are so dead on, I am Canadian/Australian in Africa watching this and I am angry to see how people are swallowing this propaganda time and time again. Americans and this world are in BIG trouble, and enough is enough. We as a world have to do something. Next speaking out as we are will be labelling us as terrorists. Truly worrying times.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
OK.

Put your hands up if you really want to die at the hands of an idiot who has no problem with blowing up a street full of people or killing a cop, has no problems with car jacking someone and who may very well be armed and dangerous, wearing a suicide vest and could have remote triggers to any number of devices around a city.

Anyone? No?

OK. Which of your family members do you want to die at that persons hands as they are hop-skipping and jumping down the street in la-la land while this guy is on the loose in their neighbourhood?

Any of them? No?

Maybe your work colleagues?

No?

Come on folks - who do you want to see die?

No-one?

Well in that case, THINK. Thats why the Police did this. To make sure that no one did, and to make sure that the person who had already done that didn't get away.

Its not martial law. If it was it would still be in place. It isn't. Its called a manhunt. It happens from time to time when bad people do bad things. Those people you are deriding there - they could have been walking into a wired building, exposed to IED's or shot, and they're doing that so that YOU don't do that.

And in the end, they caught the guy.

Now you can knock that all you want, but thats why they did what they did.

I am not contesting the police actions, this is their jobs, it was the people Celebrating death

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join