Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Is there an ATS member who can help me get chat room up and running with Windows 8?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Dear ATS Writers, Staff,

I got this dang Windows 8 on a HP computer.

I finally got enough posts(I think anyways 217?? ), to join the chat room, and I loaded Java's latest program, and it just doesn't want to cooperate! I remember clicking on it before and it telling that I didn't have enough posts to join in, but now that message doesn't come up. So I figure I got enough posts.

I am not a puter guy, and really wanted the chat room to run for me so I could visit and pick other members brains in real time...arggh.

Is there anyone out there that can walk an "idiot" LOL .. through the process to get it to work with Windows 8?

I feel it would make my wife and I a lot more comfortable and inclusive during the ATS LIVE RADIO SHOWS, if we could get into chat, see what other members are saying too!

HELP??

Thanks to any who respond.. maybe a U2U might be best..?? Up to you Might have to go to Skype call with me too..??

Pravdaseeker

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by pravdaseeker

What happens now exactly when you try? Just getting a blank box? What browser, do you use any addons like no-script?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Hi TKDRL,

First off thanks for the reply..

Browser Internet Explorer.

ADD ons like no script, I don't THINK SO...lol Heck I wouldn't know if it was on there or not at this point..

It loads the chat box, and in the chat box comes up a message..ERRORS, click for details

Click on the message and another box opens up that says...ClassNotFoundException

pclient.main.ChatClient .class

Then 3 click choices

DETAILS IGNORE RELOAD

Reload repeats SAME error and no chat room working..

Details gives a list of instructions, or "letter commands" to do things in the chat room, but lol.. we never get to the chat room

Sorry, that's all I know about it

Pravda
edit on 20-4-2013 by pravdaseeker because: forgot to answer a question

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Damn, that is not one problem I am familliar with. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along to help. Lots of helpful people hang out here lol

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

LOL TKDRL

Well I sure do appreciate you responding anyhow... thanks

Pravda

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   

first problem Internet Explorer.

Try firefox, I dunno why people insist on using IE.

Its like keeping your standard wheels on your new car, when you can have nice shiny ones.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
OP whenever I update Java my stuff gets weird. First off, stop STOP using Internet Explorer. I know it's gotten better but better than crap isn't much better. Get Chrome or FireFox. They're safe to download, safer than Internet Explorer, and just work better.

Also, restart computer. It fixes things better than punching the screen I've found.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
At the top of the chat box is a white bar with a small "page break" icon to the right.

Click on that when you have it open.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Dear amraks and Domo1,

Yeah, I kinda hate Windows anyhow... pretty new computer, arrived Oz Dec last year..needed one, this is what I could afford at the time...liked the idea that it wasn't the tower variety...but did not know what Windows 8 was. Now that I got it, I realize it is a TABLET kind of Op System.. argghhh.

OK, gonna try to get Firefox... and see what happens with it..

Thanks, and it figures the Windows thing is probably the problem..lol.. each NEW Windows program they come out with, or Internet Explorer edition usually sux worse than the last one..

I'll post here again after I get Firefox up and running, and see how it goes with that, THANKS

Pravdaseeker

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hi beezer!

Well crap, great suggestion, it reloaded chat box, but gives same message stuff.. thanks anyhow mate. going with Firefox for now and see what happens then.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Dang. Sorry then. Good luck!

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Good luck! I just tried to acces ATS Chat through Chrome and got slapped with a Java prompt. Apparently Chrome doesn't support it at this time... I'm not all that computer savvy, I just yell and click things. Recently bought a Mac (everyone I know was shocked) and Safari has been great. It doesn't enrage me as often.

ETA Now Safari is saying "Blocked PlugIn". Fine. I didn't want to chat anyway.
edit on 20-4-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

DEAR ALL YOU ATS FOLKS WHO RESPONDED!

Well FUDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firefox up and running, opened chat room and got the SAME DANG stuff going on....arggghhhh...

XACTLY the same..

Well it sure sounded like that was the issue..lol

Hmmm, dang it.. oh well thank you all who tried to help me out here...

I DO APPRECIATE your help, even if it didnt get chat working.. the intent was well meant..

Always got Skype to visit with ATS LIVE folks tomorrow, was just hoping chat would work..

Bless you all anyhow

Pravdaseeker

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Restart your computer. Perhaps you have, but it usually works for me. I'm just too lazy atm and not in the mood for the chat room. Tell your computer you love her, restart and when she is firing up speak soothing words into the exhaust ports.

Good luck again.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Hey there DOMO1

Ok will do... Although I prefer the clicking and yelling method...

Wife isn't home.. she could woo woo it into complying with requests probably...she is an amazing gal!

I will try the refiring it up trick, and fondle its ISB ports... burn some incense, wave some of the wifes crystals in front of it
oh yeah and light her candles too.. HEY you never know right??? LMAO

Id wave some of my wifes Tarot cards at it too, but afraid I'd grab the wrong ones..lmao.

All the stuff I would choose to wave at it, I could not import to OZ..lmao

AR-15.... machete..... big arse knife.... stuffed javelina head... scare the POS into flying right maybe..lmao

Thanks

Pravdaseeker

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
If it has a "Tablet Style" operating system, I can only assume you mean "Android"

If so, Chat will not work

Sorry

I have tried and tried to get my XYBoard to load chat with no success whatsoever no matter what browser I download and use

I know you said WIN 8, but not sure what you meant by "Tablet Operating System"

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Just a stab in the dark...

Could it be a "pop up blocker" that is the culprit?

I mean... the chat window could be considered a pop up, right? It isn't a full fledged browser window is it?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
What type of machine is it?

Could be your anti-virus potentially - some of them are very strict about Java.

Failing that, doesn't it have a Win7 Compatibility mode? Try using that?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
If it has a "Tablet Style" operating system, I can only assume you mean "Android"

If so, Chat will not work

Sorry

I have tried and tried to get my XYBoard to load chat with no success whatsoever no matter what browser I download and use

I know you said WIN 8, but not sure what you meant by "Tablet Operating System"

Maybe he means because its laid out like this. Which Windows 8 is terrible with all them bottons.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Dear Amraks, Garth, Nef,

YEP XACTLY LIKE THAT Amracks..

Not sure about Windows 7 compatibility.. it is a HP TouchSmart, like a GIANT tablet...

Afraid I am just gonna have to do without chat, I am assuming it is behaving like Garths tablet as well..

I gave up, and watched a blow em up movie... STEALTH... restarted computer... and still it refuses to cooperate.

Figured I better check in and see if any other computer sleuth had any ideas...

Well, if my computer from the states survived the DHS inspection AND the Oz Customs inspection, and all arrives in one piece. I will replace power supply with a 220 volt kind and fire it up and try that route. I might see my personal stuff in a few weeks after it all clears Oz Customs people. Been waiting 6 months for it dang near.

Looks like I am S.O.L. with the TouchSmart HP w/ Windows 8....The whole puter is geared like a giant tablet, but I use the mouse and etc like a regular computer. SIGH

Kinda leary about trying to load another windows system on it, and then find it wont work..lol

Crap, I wish I knew more about these critters..

Bless you all, just have to bug ATS LIVE with Skype I guess.

Thanks a ton for your efforts and suggestions..

Pravdaseeker

top topics

<<   2 >>

join