It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

arrests Muslim teen for allegedly taunting Jewish subway rider 9 to 1

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by billy565
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Where I come from... if you greet me, no matter where you come from, what religion you are, what color of your skin is, if your gay or straight, if you're rich or poor, a priest or a hooker, I will greet you back.

What if I'm a Jewish, gay, rich, hooker carrying a badge?

Would you say 'hi' then?

"Why that's not a Jewish, gay, rich, hooker carrying a badge - That's my wife!!"

as he runs off the train in despair...

that ran around my head annoying me for five mins untill i remembered "thats not a horker, thats my wife!"

ETA: ah yeah, i forgot to comment on the op
they both sound like belslubbering half-faced mold-warps to me. frakking belgiums
edit on 20-4-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Exitt

I am a blonde haired, blue eyed westerner (with two full sleeve tattoos) and I have a terrible habit of saying "schu-kran" instead of thank you (no idea how to actually spell it).

I have 2-3 people say asalam alekum to me every day as I live a block from Dearborn Michigan. It didn't offend me before I went to war, it didn't offend me when I was at war, and it doesn't offend me now that I am home.

Why would it offend you? I have people say "Hola" to me every day too. Would that offend you?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
reply to post by Exitt

I am a blonde haired, blue eyed westerner (with two full sleeve tattoos) and I have a terrible habit of saying "schu-kran" instead of thank you (no idea how to actually spell it).

I have 2-3 people say asalam alekum to me every day as I live a block from Dearborn Michigan. It didn't offend me before I went to war, it didn't offend me when I was at war, and it doesn't offend me now that I am home.

Why would it offend you? I have people say "Hola" to me every day too. Would that offend you?

as a shiny headed white dude who's spent a little time in the middle east that i wished was longer, i've done the same.... heck i was in spain a few weeks back and went through grazie, mercie, danke, tapadh leat and cheers as well a shoukran (sp? x3) before remembering it was grassy-arse. i got funny looks at times, but hey, i got used to those a long time ago and at least i tried!

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus

There are 3 of you posting the same, convincing me this is a normal thing in America. I don't know man - but if it is then all is well i guess.

Things are different in Europe. Most of the time (if we greet each other in the first place) people say Hi which is universal to us all. Muslims don't greet non muslims with salaamaleikum Jews don't greet non Jews with shalom and so on.

That is mostly because those specific greetings have a religious/cultural connotation. Not because we are so easily offended but because we respect others who are not of the same 'clan' and we like our secular societies to stay that way.

ps. I forgot about the god bless ending phrase which is also non existent in our culture. It's an American thing it seems.
edit on 20-4-2013 by Exitt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Exitt

That makes sense. America is called the melting pot because we all mixed up into one culture. I can see Europe being different as there are separate cultures living in close proximity to one another.

I never say "god bless" or "have a blessed day", it kind of bothers me when people do, but I do say Allah-we-ock on occasion which means the same thing (and isn't American).

++I don't mean to offend anyone by butchering the language - I can only spell it as it sounds

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Exitt

i'm a brit and various greetings are used in my communities and circles, but at times i mix with folk of all sorts of cultural backgrounds and such. we even make stuff up and beep and honk at each other too. i do know some odd folk though...

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exitt

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
I've been told "As-salam alaykum" many times, and I replied accordingly and not once I felt offended by it. But then again, I've probably dealt with more muslims than you'll ever get a chance to deal with.

Really? So you go around (assuming you're from a western country) and say aleikumsalaam back

And you are not a muslim?

Now I call BS.

I'm from a western country yes, brown haired, green eyes, and not a muslim, actually, not even religious for that matter - know many muslims, many jews, many christians, many "browns", many "blacks", many "whites", many "yellows" (dont know many reds which is a shame because I admire them a lot - but theres no reds where they send us), many russians, many americans, many africans, many south americans, chinese, look... you name it, I've met them.

I greet, answer and address accordingly or else Id probably wouldnt be here today. I earned my respect by being respectful and by knowing my place, and my place was recognized. Not by being a self entitled ass - not in my own country nor in theirs.

Look, you can do your dance, just make sure you know whos playing the music and that you know that music well.

And just to answer your question about that answer, well it depends on too many factors. I would say, sometimes I can, sometimes I cant.

As for your call of BS, seriously mate? Its not like I have anything to prove to you or anyone really... so, have it anyway you like it.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Rural midwesterners wave a hello, or tip their hat, to anyone driving by them on the rural roads.

Rural and inner-city places are very different I guess - no matter what country you are in.

To me, greeting every person you walk by in the city would be kind of strange.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Ok lets be clear here.

The language is not the problem.

If someone say hello and you dont answer back, does it make you right to threaten him ?

If you greet me and i dont greet you back, do i deserve to be threatened ?

Nope

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exitt

Where I come from... if you greet me, no matter where you come from, what religion you are, what color of your skin is, if your gay or straight, if you're rich or poor, a priest or a hooker, I will greet you back.

Except that saying AsalaamMaleikum to a Jew (or non muslim western people) is not a greeting but a direct provocation just like saying hey ni*** to a black person.

It's all about context and you should check it out before making statements about greeting etiquette.

So... he must submit and completely change his greeting so he does not offend his jewish overlords?

"saying AsalaamMaleikum to a Jew (or non muslim western people) is not a greeting but a direct provocation just like saying hey ni*** to a black person"

That is scaled very high on the BS meter... I've been told "As-salam alaykum" many times, and I replied accordingly and not once I felt offended by it. But then again, I've probably dealt with more muslims than you'll ever get a chance to deal with.

Would you feel offended?

I have been told Asalam Aleikhum|" lots of times by Arab coworkers and they are fine with "Shalom". However if bunch of 8 Jewish hooligans would approach single Arab in a train and start the same provocation you would be screaming the same chosen stuff.
Those teens went with purpose to start a fight with 8 on 1. If you do not see it you are blind with hatred.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Hatred, more like blind with political correctness in my honest and humble opinion.

The way I look at it, All 9 individuals should face some sort of charges. Any one of those individuals could have prevented the situation from escalating. Unless their intentions were to intimidate and rough up the Jewish guy.
edit on 21-4-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join